Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009

gbm4th is on a distinguished road
Wink

Thanks for all the feedback. I am moving in tomorrow.

Valiente's article is very helpful; I wonder how carbon does vs aluminum; but I think I will leave my carbon race bike at home. I like the idea about pulling the wheels and putting it in plastic, storing it in the aft berth. I do have an older aluminum triathalon bike just hanging out in my garage.

John, you were correct that I do like to ride assertively, but safely. Plenty of hills where I live to keep me honest; but I love hammering the flats. Just as in a boat, when a situation develops, you like to know everything works.

Have a great labor day everyone,

PS. I did consider hooking the bike up to a propeller to provide both cardio exercise and an alternative energy source (me). Do you think I could write it off on my taxes as an alternative energy source?

george
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2009

2redtrek is on a distinguished road
Now that I have gotten back to sailing I cannot find the time during sailing season to do my regular 200 road miles per week,I end up doing just winter weekend riding.
Old 09-03-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Talk to Steve at www.bilenky.com if you want s&s couplers. He does a great job is is reasonable on his pricing. No association to him other than customer.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Maybe sell carbon credits

PS. I did consider hooking the bike up to a propeller to provide both cardio exercise and an alternative energy source (me). Do you think I could write it off on my taxes as an alternative energy source?

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 09-04-2009

baboon is on a distinguished road
One option is a higher quality folding bike. My wife rides a bike friday by green gear cycling. The bike is very close to a top end road bike and most are made to order based on your size, or they can replicate the measuments of your road bike. The bike packs into a hard shell standard size plastic suitcase which keeps it in great condition, and would fit inside a 30 ft boat without much trouble. They are expensive, but they have some used options and bikes can also be found on craigslist from time to time.
Old 09-05-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
I ride a Montague Hummer. It folds down and fits a soft or hard case barely bigger than the 26 inch wheels...about the size of a hiker's backpack. Aluminum alloy frame.
Old 09-05-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Whether the bike can be easily kept aboard depends a lot on the bike. Folders are great for short trips, but most are too small, designed for lightness, and compact folded size. Aimed more at the person that wants to ride from the parking lot to the office.

But the montegue looks pretty neat:
Montague Paratrooper Tactical Folding Mountain Bike: The Bike

There is a company that makes hinges for converting a regular bike to a folder, can't remember the name right now though.

If you get a bike that's too small for you, (seatpost/top tube) then install a longer neck and seatpost to make it fit and use straight bars, you can reduce the overall size when the tires are removed. (changing to a fork with greater lead will eliminate toe overlap)

The pedal driven prop was discussed a while ago on the engineless sailing board on yahoo, I've thought about it a few times. Then found an Ebay auction for a hand cranked outboard motor that looked prety sweet. Would be easy to duplicate the drive system.

Ken.

Last edited by merc2dogs; 09-05-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
downtube

I have a downtube 8h folding bike, front suspension. Being a liveaboard, i have nowhere to keep a full size bike, i read it takes maintenance every two weeks to keep a bike kept outside from rusting. The hell with that!

Downtube - Bikes

Comes with stainless steel chain and spokes, aluminum frame. The internal hub shifter gets rid of the dérailleur, gets the chain out of the way and makes it look more like a fixie.

26 lbs, way lighter than west marine's pieces of crap, way cheaper than bike friday and dahon, better quality than citizen west marine and giant, smaller than montague. I ride 10 miles to work with it, i can fit it anywhere in my car, frontseat backseat trunk, in the boat i can stuff it in the quarter berth or vee berth and keep it dry.

if money is no object, buy brompton for the smallest quality folder or bike friday for the most resembling of a road bike.
Old 09-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hey Nailbunny,

That Downtube is pretty neat. I'd never heard of them -- thanks.

For boating, I like the sealed, internal 8-speed hub and stainless chain. Do you happen to know where they're made?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-09-2009
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Made in China, John. Sold out of PA.

One thing wrong with mine is that the bottom bracket had a crunch and needed repacked.