Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Shameless plug for GOB and Bob Perry)

Thats Good Old Boat not Grumpy old Bustard !!

okcpicker has posted the link to the Sailing podcast site featuring Bob Perry. Thank you.

BP has also started doing a monthly column for Good Old Boat (subscribe subscribe subscribe) with Rick Beddoe which for mine makes GOB even more worth the outlay.

BP and RB are mates of the Wombat so yeah I'm biased but I'd heartily recommend checking out Ricks 3D renderings in Cruising Anarchy. We all know and probably appreciate BPs stuff but Ricks ability with rendering in 3D is really quite amazing. (At least it is to me)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Rick was kind enough to give permission to post some of his renderings of Perry's latest creation......a gaffer for the 21st century.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 09-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey TDW - I read Bob's article in my own copy of Grumpy Old Bastard.

That is a crazy cool mainsheet set-up in the rendering above.

BTW - what advantage the gaff have over the sloop rig? Is is more sail area for the size of the boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey TDW - I read Bob's article in my own copy of Grumpy Old Bastard.

That is a crazy cool mainsheet set-up in the rendering above.

BTW - what advantage the gaff have over the sloop rig? Is is more sail area for the size of the boat?
Smack..Jeff_H is the man to talk to I'd reckon. Hopefully he will see this and chime in when the weekend is over. Charlie Cobrac probably knows a thing or two about gaffers as well.

The guy this lady is being built for simply wanted something a bit different I believe. I've never sailed a gaffer so I'm not the person to ask but off the wind a gaffer can be very spritely indeed. I remember one afternoon in Sydney being soundly dusted off by a 30' cassic gaff sloop (sister of the one in the vid) that went pass us like an express train and was not being embarassed by the racing boys and girls (in a non spinnaker race).

Uphill a marconi/bermuda will win out every time although this vid suggests a gaffer is not complete rubbish to windward.

(What is the difference between Marconi and Bermuda ?)

Me, I just love diversity.

This vid is of Maluka. She is a Ranger (legendary classic of Sydney Harbour) was built in 1932 and was rebuilt in 2006ish. Since then she has done two Sydney - Hobarts.

These last two pics are of BP's Jakatan. she was first across the line in the recent Great San Francisco Schooner Race.

Old 09-05-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Smack,
Link to GOB article (these guys should be paying me !) by another of my favourite designers Ted Brewer. Subject Gaff rig v Bermuda (which as it turns out is simply the original term. There is no difference between Bermuda and Marconi)

Good Old Boat - The fore-and-aft rig article

Old 09-06-2009

jmolan is on a distinguished road
New guy here, looks like a great bunch of folks

Gaff sails and the new modern "square top" sails are looking more and more alike. Combine that with the new ropes for replacing rigging wire and and the dead eyes used for the same...well it's coming back around!
Old 09-06-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We all know and probably appreciate BPs stuff but Ricks ability with rendering in 3D is really quite amazing. (At least it is to me)
I agree the 3D rendering and modeling is outstanding. I have used Catia and AutoCad to model in 3D and 3ds Max to render.

Do you have any idea of what software these guys use to design, model. and render these images?

Nice looking boat and great 3D modeling/rendering. Thanks for posting it tdw.

Paul
Old 09-06-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
My guess on the software would be Rhino 3D for the modeling (great NURBS modeler) and V-Ray or Maxwell as the renderer.

Old 09-06-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
I have farted around with Rhino. I agree it is a good NURBS modeler. V-Ray has a plugin that works with 3ds Max. Maxwell is new to me.

It sounds like you are familiar with 3D computer graphics software.
Is it a hobby ?
Old 09-06-2009
Last Man Standing

No - used CGI a lot in my past work and still use it some in our current work. Max and V-Ray is what we've primarily used. Maxwell is cool - but slow as hell. V-Ray rocks.