Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
transport or custom trailer

Hello all, I need some advice on boat transport options. I have pretty much narrowed down my choice's regarding which particular boat I am searching for, however this has created a new problem.

Unlike powerboats where the only trailer issue are displacement and LOA, full keel sailboats add a whole new element to the game.

Most of the boats that I am interested in are located in Mass, Maryland and South Florida- plus their respective local areas.

Now, I have two options as far as I can see.

1) Pay to have a boat transport company move the boat from it's location to my house. This would require a self loading trailer. Cost's according to Uship seem to be anywhere from $800-$2800. Assuming 300- 1000 miles.

2) Have a trailer manufacture build a trailer for the boat. According to the quotes for the trailer I have received, this will cost $4500-$6500 to have it built.

3) Sail it to a local marina and then have it transported to my house. I have not researched this because I don't really think it is a viable option as I would not trust a sub 30', 35 y/o boat to sail that far- considering the condition of the boats I am looking at.

I intend to store the boat at my shop for restoration, winter storage.

Now, my issues;

If I have a trailer built for a 28' Pearson Triton, then later find a 27' Bristol that I want, how flexible/adjustable are custom built trailers?

Would most full keel style boats from the 60's and 70's fit on a trailer built for a Triton?

This logic may sound off (hence why I am asking questions) but the idea of a trailer makes more sense than paying a trucking company. The trailer can be used whenever I want it and the mobility offered by it make the cost worthwhile. However, I would like to have the trailer built before buying the boat that way when I find the one I want I just go pick it up.

It is my understanding that the pads on trailers are adjustable- so as long as the basic hull design and LOA are similar, a trailer that is built for a Triton will work with an Alberg 30, Bristol 27-29 and so on. Is any of this correct?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Most boats of similar size and keel type (bristol and triton as your example) can share a trailer with little problem.
If you design/build so the pads or bunks are movable, it increases the size range you can comfortably haul.
Actual position is more critical with pads than with bunks, because it's better to have pads that are able to bear on internal structures.

Both my boats have cradles, and I use a 10,000 pound flatbed trailer to move them. (ariel has a wood cradle tht's sturdy, but I'm not overly confdent in it, so building new is in the future)

Ken.
Old 09-07-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i have a 12,000 lb six wheel trailer made by performance trailers at 6430-47th st. north Pinellas Park, FL 337781 . it was bought in 1994 for his new nimble 30 express. he hauled the boat from FL to duluth, MN on the western end of lake superior. i got the boat & trailer from him in 2003 . i haul the boat home from the marina every fall with my dodge pickup (25 miles) i believe the trailer was about 6 grand new. it works very well.
Old 09-07-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
if you look at my photos you will see a picture of the nimble 30 express on the trailer
Old 09-07-2009

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
I am also looking at the flatbed/cradle option. However, by the time I sink 2-4k into an older equipment trailer- then build or purchase a cradle, I'm almost in the price range of the custom trailer, I have received quotes as low as 4500. However, this is for a non galvanized trailer. The boat will be in salt water but stored 35miles inland. So the only salt it would see is what runs off the hull after the travel lift sets the boat on it. All of my yacht choices are 60's-70's Alberg designs in the 27-30' range. Now with a little knowledge I will contact the trailer people and ensure they make the pads adjustable. Worse case, if I have the trailer and need to move the pad supports forward or rear to sit on the bulkheads of the boat I buy, I can just cut them off and re weld them where they need to be. I need to blow the dust off my MIG anyway. Thanks. Alan