How to "maximize" the front sail ( roller furling ) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
First off.. WOW.
Thanks for the indepth explanation.

I do have 2 'blocks' on each side. One is very large and one is very small.
I have only used the larger ones. I have contemplating using the small ones to backfeed my boom when running downwind ( which I havent tried yet ).

So I need to move my 'blocks' up to be in the middle of the front sail?
I did this on Saturday in very light winds, and had my front sail with a big 'pocket'. it was so far out, my girlfriend ( who knows less than me said.. is that a spinnker sail? ). I said no, but it was so far out, I could see how she thought it was.

I am going to look online for some diagrams to "dialing' it in.

I do agree it is much easier to be "showed" instead of "telling".

Thanks for the help.

I am just tired of being on the boat, feeling the wind, and boats are blowing by me, and me not knowing what I can adjust to 'maximize' the given wind.
( this happened all day saturday ).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Iím assuming that both blocks are on the same track and the larger one is in the front? That one is called the fairlead and that is the one you move around to make all of your adjustments. The smaller one to the rear of the track is to provide a fair lead into the winch on the cockpit coaming. And you position this one so you donít get sheet overrides on the winch. It never moves after that and plays no role in sail trim.

Are you able to trim your genoa so that all tell tails are streaming straight back? I suspect that you might have moved the fairlead so far forward that it wasnít doing its job at all and you didnít have enough tension in the genoa sheet to trim the sail. You can move the fairlead too far forward or too far aft. If you are new to sailing, move the fairlead so the sheet evenly bisects the luff and use your sheet to get the tell tails streaming (you are actually changing the sailís angle of attack). Master this, and you will be equal to half the sailors out there. Then move on to the fine tuning aspects trim.

A 150 genoa overlaps the main by a considerable amount and if you are not trimming just right, it will also disrupt the airflow over the mainsail as well. Your 110 lapper jib is a much easier sail to trim and learn on. You may want to practice on that one even though it is slower in low winds than being frustrated with the 150 (because it is much more sensitive to trim). A lot of trimming is done in inches or fractions of inches. And remember, it takes lots and lots of practice to master the nuances of trimming so go out there and sail!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook