Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Had wonderful day sails out of Rock Hall, MD. My son brought his family from Indiana for a long holiday weekend and it was wonderful. My grandchildren (ages 6, 9 and 10) were aboard last year and so it was a return visit for them, but a first for my son and daughter-in-law. He like sailing, her-not so much. The kids love it, especially the oldest boy although he isn't the natural his 6-yhear old sister is... she stood on a stool at the helm and handled the boat with confidence and ease. She was even talking about feeling the wind on her cheek and knowing from which direction it was blowing...something many adults fail to realize.

All in all, a great weekend of day sailing and a Monday to clean the boat. Have you any idea how difficult it is to remove ground in salsa and blueberries from the cockpit sole?

Fair winds to all...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009

dvpamenter is on a distinguished road
Saturday, 3 hr sail on almost flat St Margarets Bay Nova Scotia. 15 kt winds and good company.
Sunday and Monday, too many distactions and blustery so tied to mooring!!
Don
Old 09-08-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Had to wait till Monday

My wife and I took another couple for their first sail. Winds were light but we used a drifter and glided around at 5 knots. We stayed in Hingham bay and anchored off Worlds End for some goodies.
Old 09-08-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
We had a great extended weekend, Friday night in St Michaels, Saturday night in the Wye, and Sunday in Worton! All in all a great weekend with friends and family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-08-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
After a late Start on Sunday [put finally the reg.numbers on my dinghy] sailed around Annapolis and ended up in Whithall Creek to anchor for the night. Some friends rafted up with their powerboat, brought a delicious dinner and kept me company til after dessert. Monday I slept in and had a great sail to bloody point and back. It was fun to watch all these races that were going on. On my sail back I decidet to check out St.Mikes over the next weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Old 09-08-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Friends came into Baltimore for Saturday. Steamed crabs (a first for our daughter) with fresh corn and tomatoes for dinner. Followed them out to Broad Creek on the Magothy for an overnight on the hook. Great sailing from the Key Bridge to the mouth of the Magothy. Motor sailed home on Monday at 8 kts. Took Tuesday off and enjoyed one more day on the now very clean boat. Life is good.
Old 09-08-2009

rdstanley is on a distinguished road
I am so envious of all of you. We were not able to get off the dock over the Labor Day weekend, just too many committments. We are goinig to make a long weekend of it this coming weekend. We are leaving Washington Friday, will probably spend some time playing around in the Pamlico Sound Saturday then visit Belhaven and Bath.
Old 09-08-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
We had a meeting on Sat morning, and got to the boat around 11am, Just the Admiral and I and our 2 foot tall pirate Jack (3mos)..

I was anxious to get going, and we set off into 10-15kt winds on a broad reach up the Stono Inlet.. there were alot of people on the beach on the back side of Kiawah, so I took the opportunity to hotdog up and down the bay heeled way over.. then we went up Bass Creek about 5 miles to anchor for the night, but after a quick nap with Jack around 4, decided to head up the river under a full moon, in case the wind picked up to 15-20k on the nose that was forecast for Sun morning..We anchored uneventfully and had dinner (I even managed to anchor facing into the next tide shift at 3 am, learned that from last time

The next morning, the wind was perfect for a run out of the river, we went out on a close reach and Jack was smiling and batting at his toys as the boat was heeled over 10-15degrees.. I was cruising around the inlet about 11am and Kasey said she would go down and have a nap with Jack, and after a few mins I looked down and saw them both asleep, so I did what anyone would do - went bounding out into the ocean, crashing through 2-4 footers with not even a peep from down below ! (by the time they woke up we were back in the river)

So we stopped at the beach to swim and have lunch, and managed to get grounded for 4 hours while leaving and ended waiting for the tide to come back,(pretty impressive with a 2' draft !) I did every thing I could think of to get her free ( including tying anchors to halyards and rodes to winches, to no avail) , but ended up sitting below and having a beer and a nap and waiting..

I think that Mr. Jack sleeps more soundly when the boat is rocking and he can hear the water whooshing by !! By the time we got home, Kasey was already talking about our next trip !!!

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 09-08-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Left Greenport Sunday around 11:00 and sailed over to Three Mile Harbor. It was just myself and my dog "Charlie". aboard my liveaboard Freedom 33. It was blowin a good 25kt pretty much on the nosebut the worst was the tide which was going out against the wind creating extreemely rough, short . steep seas, maybe 3-4 ft plus even worse when the huge power boats sped by. I was pitching and slaming all the way there with just the main up and lots of green water over the bow. Constantly being slamed into a complete stop. Things finally calmed down as I got close to 3 mile Harbor. Charlie did not enjoy the sail over much either but we spent a wonderful night anchored there , rafted up with a buddy who met us there in his Pearson 30. It was a beautiful moonlit night and we took the dingy over to the beach to let Charlie run around abit. Came back to the boats and barbequed a great dinner. Monday, was a great day for sailing with good wind but much caLMER SEAS and we went around Gradiners Island, eventually ending up at Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island for the night. Sailed back to Greenport this morning. I had a great time and it felt great to finnaly take a break from work and get away for a few days, even if it was only local cruising. Rick
Old 09-09-2009

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Great sailing on Belews lake in NC I had another C-22 owner on mine, he said it was cool. I think he was impressed how well I handled it for being new to me.