SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Where did you sail over the Labor Day Weekend? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/57827-where-did-you-sail-over-labor-day-weekend.html)

ericread 09-08-2009 10:22 AM

Where did you sail over the Labor Day Weekend?

As my brother in-law and his nephew were vacationing on Coronado Island (San Diego, CA), I chartered a Catalina 22 Capri on Sunday, and took them sailing in the San Diego Bay on Sunday. They had never been sailiing before, and with some moderate winds kicking up in the afternoon, they had a ball. My 12 year-old nephew had a turn at the tiller for a while, and performed pretty well. The first time we got into a decent heel, there were some big eyes, but everybody seemed to have a very good time.

It's funny.... Non-sailers don't really understand the enjoyment of sailing until they get out on the water.

So where did you sail???

Eric

smackdaddy 09-08-2009 10:25 AM

Although it kills me to say it - we didn't sail. No wind (well 5-6 knots). It was rather excruciating.

So, family mountain biking and rock climbing instead. A nice second.

JohnRPollard 09-08-2009 11:14 AM

We got a late start on Saturday, and with light airs we had to curtail our itinerary. We sailed (slowly) then motored the last bit to a creek only about 10 miles away. We spent the weekend there, kayaking and exploring in the sailing dinghy.

Monday morning, we left early for home. We didn't want to disturb our neighbors in the anchorage, so we sailed off the anchor under thick overcast, catching a favorable and fun northeast breeze back to our mooring.

The only downside was that, without running the engine, we didn't get to recharge our batteries. :)

pdqaltair 09-08-2009 11:30 AM

Finished a slow trip around the Delmarva

Huricane Bill made for a nice swell on the beginning ocean leg 2 weeks ago, but we enjoyed wonderful reaching conditions. All of the Delmarva inlets were breaking, except for Chincoteague. They had a marker off-station, the but the CG told me where it was and where it should have been; no troubles. They had it back in place the next day.

We got to bash up the Delaware into 20 knots with an opposing tide. A lot of pitching for the first bit. There was no avoiding it; we were in Cape May and the wind stayed north for a week.

And then there was the upper Chesapeake on the weekend. About 100 muscle boats started a poker run, I guess, from the head of the Bay. Every express cruiser must have been out, adding a wake. By mid-morning there were 2-foot waves coming from every dirrection, but with no perceptible wind driven waves, even though it was blowing 10 knots.

By Sunday we were off Annapolis, jibing around a dozen racing events and enjoying great reaching conditions.

Faster 09-08-2009 11:58 AM

Our club had a rendezvous at Newcastle Island Park, in Nanaimo harbour, 31 NM from our marina. We got off early Friday afternoon and unfortunately motored in flat calm conditions the whole way.

Sat/Sun events were entirely outdoors, and we were fairly lucky Saturday, getting off a happy hour ashore in dry conditions. Sunday brought a torrential downpour in the morning and intermittent rain through the afternoon so our "games" were a bit damp. It rained seriously during our outdoor BBQ but we pulled it off and ate in a couple of camp shelters. Both days had lots of wind, including several squalls to 30+ knots.

Monday dawned sunny but windless with leftover slop from the previous days/nights' blow... got to 5-6 knots of breeze and we managed to sail an hour or so - but that was it.

Sailmachine 09-08-2009 12:17 PM

Sailed from Wilmington down the Cape Fear River 25 miles to Southport in my little Venture 22. Sailed back on Sunday. Was quite rough on the way back. Read about it here:
MacGregorSailors.com • View topic - Trip Report Wilmington NC to Southport in V22

Can't wait to get the boat fixed and back in the water.

Pete

bobmcgov 09-08-2009 12:33 PM

We spent Thurs and Fri on Lake Granby, Colorado, under the western side of Rocky Mountain National Park and about 8300' above sea level. Pretty, even with beetle-kill running 80%.

http://sites.google.com/a/wildblue.n...ng/granby2.jpg

We got hit with several afternoon thunderstorms -- a bit late in the year for such intensity.

http://sites.google.com/a/wildblue.n...ng/granby3.jpg

One nearly trapped us against the southern shore with sudden winds of 60 mph. We were a few seconds late shortening sail and had a bad time. Once we got things put away and the boat started moving, it was fine; the storm ended just 14 minutes after the first blast hit.:D It was a bit frustrating from a sailing POV, with winds that would never set in direction or intensity -- flukey even by the standard of mountain lakes. Probably our last trip of the season. Took the Bucc18 out for a couple hours yesterday, to sort out the new waterproof video camera. Screwed up the white levels something awful, and found it's tricky to hike and film at the same time.:laugher Still, gotta love a boat that planes upwind.;)

AdamLein 09-08-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 520620)
Although it kills me to say it - we didn't sail. No wind (well 5-6 knots). It was rather excruciating.

You think that's painful. We had great wind up here, and I still didn't sail, because I'm stuck at school finishing my thesis! Alls I gotta say is that it better still be windy in a coupla weeks... (not too worried about that).

josrulz 09-08-2009 02:27 PM

We spent most of our weekend bumming around the Severn River area on the Chesapeake. While we ended up motoring on Saturday due to light winds, we had some nice sailing on Sunday and Monday and hardly had to motor at all. Not too bad! :)

davis83 09-08-2009 02:36 PM

Went out Saturday to sail the Crown 23 for the first time (very impressed) around the inlet in Vancouver. Winds were moderate throughout the day, it was raining but I didn't care. Then went out Monday (same area) and better skies with sun and a moderate wind.