Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Sorry Still, I don't think having things "hit the fan" when you're 10 minutes from home qualifies. When Jessica experiences a broken steering cable, mainsail halyard or cap shroud when she is 2000 miles from land and then manages OK, then I'll agree that she has passed the test.

Anyway, she's on her way, the speculation is over, let's hold thumbs that she stays safe and watch what she does (or doesn't).
Your point is well received..and I have to say you are correct in a way I guess...My view point is she didn't miss a stride, call for mommy or get to rattled over the whole affair... But stayed calm, dealt with it and the inevitable onslaught of chritisism

It just showed some moxie and much needed grit this undertaking will demand right off the get go on her part....regardless of all the cause and effect arguments.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2009

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
Well apparently Watson might have some other competition, Abby Sunderland, sister to Zac whom just completed his circumnavigation is planning on her record attempt in an open 40 her dad got her for her 16th birthday.
Old 12-11-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey dreams - and they'll be many more I'm betting.

What do you think about the whole "youngest around the world" thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-11-2009

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
To each their own, I just think that all this rushing these kids are doing trying to set records just so someone else can do better the next year isn't what its all about. I would think that the better experience and adventure would be to take your time while circumnavigating and explore new places, experience different cultures and meet new people. I guess it all depends on exactly what kind of adventure you are looking for. Hands down to Jessica and the fellow record chasers, thats a pretty amazing feat at 16 years old.

I wish my 16th birthday present was a sailboat to sail around the world on....I must admit I am a little jealous
Old 12-11-2009

flitemdic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinondreams View Post

I wish my 16th birthday present was a sailboat to sail around the world on....I must admit I am a little jealous

Ain't that the truth. In fact, I'd still accept it for my 45th. And with good graces. And I wouldn't take it around the world. And I'd keep it nice and shiny. And I'd even give out rides to whomever bought it for me.
Old 12-20-2009

hillbillybear is on a distinguished road
depraved indifference

Today about 20 min. up the road a little girl was buried. Her mom fell asleep at the wheel of her car. A real tragedy. Depraved indifference???
My son is a high functioning autistic. He is in the Marine Junior ROTC at his high school. He is in the 9th grade and I think the only freshman on the exhibiion team. Takes that 8.5 pound Daisy rifle and works magic with it. Leaders of his ROTC say they don't have to teach him. He just watches and then he does it. UNREAL!!!! I used to put limits on my sons abilities, but no more. He is the bomb. He now has his learners permit to drive. And for a 15 year old, he does OK. I think a 15 year old in a car can do much more damage than a 15 year old in a boat. My son also would like to have a scooter (this one Super 8 150, Photos, Specifications, Features and Comparisons - Kymco USA ). He also likes the Harley 1200. I look out for my son everyday. So, he may not get the 1200. He will likely get the scooter though. If he gets hurt, will I go to jail. Gosh I hope not. I'm taking every precaution possible. Stay off the main road and teaching good driving habits. I don't think I would be anymore responsible if my son got injured than the mother who lost her daughter. As well, although it is scary, I don't think Jessica's parents would be responsible either. By the way, my son is now half on, half off the exhibition team. He is now on the color guard. He carried the Marine flag in the Christmas parade and he presents at all athletic events as well. I love my son. I would NEVER do anything to jeprodize his safety. Would I let him sail around the world????????? No, I wouldn't. He doesn't have the maturity. Does Jessica?????? By the way, another you lady is setting off. Abby Sunderland. Abby Sunderland | Abigail Sunderland | Wild Eyes | Solo Circumvent | Shoecity.com Sponsor
Old 12-21-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I agree 100% hillbilly.

For what it's worth I am also one of those here that doesn't understand the race around the world quick as you can only to beat a record part of it, but then I guess that is a different discussion all together.

Old 12-21-2009

hillbillybear is on a distinguished road
Chall, Don't know that I was saying that I disagree with what is going on. I think if I were looking to have a grand adventure, I'd want to take my time and really have fun. Get to know some of the locals. I read a lot about the Appalachian Trail. The mesmorizing part about the trail is not so much the beauty or the walk itself but the people the backpacker meets. There are special people called trail angels who disperse upon many of the backpackers something called trail magic. This may be a lift to town, a barn to sleep in for the night or a free meal. Things happen when people look to do the right thing. Thats where the adventure lies. And for the sailer. Magic happens there as well. It may come in the form of a tow with no strings attached, a potluck dinner on the beach and you have little or nothing to contribute, or the offer of a nice fillet of shark. In Margaret Dye's book, "Dinghy Cruising" she told of being offered a couple of skinned out reindeer. That may have been a bit much for their boat The Wanderer, but I doubt they turned down the tenderloin. I have a really difficult time dealing with hateful people. We ran into one today at IHOP. He said something to my wife that was mildly insulting. I'm sure his wife heard him say it. And I made eye contact with her to let her know I was ready for him if he ran his mouth once more. But the good in people out weighs the bad. And the adventure is in the good. Pick up an AT book sometime if you like to read. Jeff Alt has the best I've ever read. It's titled, "A walk for Sunshine". Now that is an adventure.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 12-21-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-21-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I don't disagree with what is going on at all either.......If that's her dream then good on her.

I just think I will be one of these guys who's attempt at circumnavigation may take 15 years, and even then I may turn around at the end if I find a pretty little island off in that direction..

As for hateful people I do know what you mean. I am no better at dealing with them than the next guy...especially at this time of year!
I did promise myself in the middle of some tough circumstances a few years back that I would never become one. IMHO life is just too short for bitterness.

Thanks very much for the book tip, I will definitely have a look for it.

Old 12-21-2009

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
I take it, this kind of thing Cant be avoided. I mean if your Sleeping at 2:30AM , theres Nothing to tell you that another Boat, Rock, Sea Serpant is near by :-0