Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
From what I could discern, she was under storm jib alone and caught 4 rogue waves (these seem to be frequent in higher latitudes) which rolled her. Could be that breaking seas on her stern rounded the boat up and knocked it down as well. She made the call, as being a solo sailor in a 70 knot storm, to stay in the cabin rather than risking being swept off with no possibility of recovery. Considering she got rolled 180*, I'd say it was a good call because she likely would not have been around to report the next day had she been topside. Isn't "Stay with the boat" the biggest lesson learned over the years of storms, survival and lost sailors?
Yes I remember reading a story not too long ago about a boat that went over throwing the captain out of the cockpit and somehow he managed to scramble back on, but he nearly lost his life, I can't remember where I read it though.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
This list will give you over 100 reasons to not get flicked.

Lifesling Case History

As you say CC, staying with the boat seems to be rule UNO from everything I read.

Great discussion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-27-2010

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Considering she got rolled 180*, I'd say it was a good call because she likely would not have been around to report the next day had she been topside. Isn't "Stay with the boat" the biggest lesson learned over the years of storms, survival and lost sailors?
This is one thing I don't understand about her report: If she went 180 does that mean she actually had the mast vertically upside down, or did she "roll" 360 degrees?
Old 01-27-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
She had the mast 180* down, no roll.

Old 01-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Half roll....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannc44 View Post
This is one thing I don't understand about her report: If she went 180 does that mean she actually had the mast vertically upside down, or did she "roll" 360 degrees?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
At that point it really doesn't matter. 1 degree here, 2 degrees there, you're still upside down.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-31-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I am glad that the Guinness people, and various sailing organizations have stopped recognizing "youngest boy/girl to sail around the world." If a kid wants to go sailing around the world, and can afford to do so, let them. But, to attempt the feat as a means of acquiring fame and fortune; NO! Begging sponsorship? NO!!

Slocum, and Aebi, probably others, did it in their time on their own time on their own dime, for reasons that came from within themselves. These kids are either pushed into it by their parents, or imitating someone else, whose parents pushed them into it. This whole category of "Youngest Sailor", reminds me of the "Balloon Boy" incident. The only motivation that I can fathom for either is Fame and Fortune. And frankly, I am loosing patience with it.

I suggest that there should be a new recognised category of Oldest unsponsored person to circumnavigate alone and unassisted.

Now, maybe I'm being too harsh on Jessica . I really haven't followed her trials & trivials, and don't want to. My post is more directed at Abby Slocum, and more so at her parents who have helped her, and her brother, promote their "adventure" like PT Barnum. These kids are being exploited!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-31-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
OK, so now I've visited her website, and the whole thing makes me sick.

Sponsors : Check

Merchandise : Check

And it seems that her mission, "to become the youngest person to sail solo non-stop and unassisted around the World." went out the window after she and the freighter "came together," and her mast and deck were damaged.
Old 01-31-2010

sorenb is on a distinguished road
biased opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

Now, maybe I'm being too harsh on Jessica . I really haven't followed her trials & trivials, and don't want to. My post is more directed at Abby Slocum, and more so at her parents who have helped her, and her brother, promote their "adventure" like PT Barnum. These kids are being exploited!
You really have a lot of following to do before airing your totally unfounded opinion. You don´t want to follow Jessica´s trivials; still your next post goes on about sponsoring etc. - from a cursory check of her website I guess. I am not sure what the value of that particular post is. Again: you have much research to do.
For your information: Jessica is NOT going for any RECORD. Just showing to HERSELF what she can do. So far she has done quite succesfully what she set out to do.
Never mind the records: No doubt she will turn up on various lists of accomplished sailors. On top of that she seems (from her blog) to be a very kind person showing an extreme capacity to overcome physical and psychological hardship.

Last edited by sorenb; 07-07-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

Maybe you are, hopefully she isn't spending her time reading this, but I tend to agree with you. I'm not sure how people can see this as anything other than exploitation. Completely different through if she was on her own and this was her job to pay for school. That is of course not the case.

Actually I'm not comfortable with the whole sponseoship thing. I've read about sponsored trips and the BS is through the roof. Of course it is, as soon as someone is a paid spokesman or is working it for money then truth has to take a backseat.

Basically I guess it is an issue of consent. If the kid is so young they can't drink or vote do we really believe they will respond properly to adult pressures?

Now remove all the money and media....ah but then they wouldn't be doing it now would they? Or we wouldn't hear about it which in this case is same thing.

And the fact that I think she is doing well all things considered does not change my unfounded opinion that such actions should not be encouraged. After all I didn't get any sponsorship for the crazy stuff I did as a kid including having a bush plane drop me off, by myself, in the middle of nowhere for a weekend of camping...when I was 10.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P