Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I've done my own share of single handed voyaging and I have to ask myself "who would want to?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
She is doing something no one here has done or will ever do, period. Good on her..
Yep, I was a naysayer too and like others, I take it back - Jessica has done good. I really hope her voyage continues well to the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2010

Yado is on a distinguished road
Jessica is nearing Tasmania and blogs that her weather adviser says she may be in for some rough weather:
Official Jessica Watson Blog

I'm going to follow her run around Tasmania and up to Sydney and keep an eye on passage weather, Australia map.
PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

I'm both impressed by and happy for this young lady, and relieved that she's made it this far. She may be looking at 40+ knots here shortly, I hope she can avoid it but it's nothing she can't handle.
Old 05-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Developing bunfight.......looks like the JW support team didn't bother to read the rules.

Sail-World.com : Jessica Watson: Keeping the Record Straight

Yes I know she has never claimed to be out to officially break the record but to muck up the distance travelled seems inexcusably careless.

Some wag in this morning's Sydney Morning Herald has suggested she should go round Fort Denison (a small island in Sydney Harbour) a couple of thousand times which will give her the necessary miles.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-05-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
IMHO, sHe should do a "Victory Lap" around Australia. That would do it. That would show them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 05-06-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
As someone who works in the Media here in Sydney, I have been following this story pretty closely as it becomes bigger and bigger news locally with her impending arrival around the corner, and well I still don't quite know what the go is.....

The record she is trying to break, firstly is unbreakable after 'the youngest ever' record was officially stricken from the books amongst the controversy of Laura Dekker last year. The record remains held by Jesse Martin, and will be forever......regardless of how far Jess sails.
Secondly those in her camp also claim to have been aware of the distance technicality all along....however don't seem to have a good answer as to why she didn't comply with it, you think they would of if for no other reason than to stop this kind of controversy....

At the end of the day, it seems silly though to say that she hasn't sailed enough miles to break the record that officially she can't break anyway....

So what remains is that a 16 year old girl wisely or otherwise has sailed a 34ft yacht around the world. For that my hat is off to her.

As an aside, I had occasion to speak to her a couple of times before she left, albeit fleetingly and as a person she does impress me.

Last edited by chall03; 05-06-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Developing bunfight.......looks like the JW support team didn't bother to read the rules.

Sail-World.com : Jessica Watson: Keeping the Record Straight

Yes I know she has never claimed to be out to officially break the record but to muck up the distance travelled seems inexcusably careless.

Some wag in this morning's Sydney Morning Herald has suggested she should go round Fort Denison (a small island in Sydney Harbour) a couple of thousand times which will give her the necessary miles.
Bunfight? I LOVE a good bunfight!

Congrats to Jess.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Bunfight? I LOVE a good bunfight!

Congrats to Jess.

Record or no record is quite irrelevent really...she has achieved a great deal, far more than I have and I'm over three times her age.

Reality is however that her PR brigade have been portraying this as an attack on an official record, a record that in fact does not even exist anymore and they knew that right from the start. While only going public last week, Sail World reckon they had contacted Team Watson in April last year re this query.

I'm also liking the brouhaha re the infringement of the Pink Lady copyright.

She is good, no doubt about it and she has done so much better than I ever gave her credit for but her PR crew appear to be a bunch of scumbags who could comfortably nap on a corkscrew.

To be honest I don't really care other than the fact that I have something of a complete loathing for this kind of PR bovine excretia.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-07-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
TD. Well extrapolated as always

I don't have the links/quotes at hand, but yeah early in her blog she was fairly clear about setting out to 'break the record'.

To take nothing away from what she has done, there seems to be some very confusing rhetoric coming from her camp......Oh and I always get worried when I hear the words.....book deal and manager....

Old 05-07-2010

calden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

She is good, no doubt about it and she has done so much better than I ever gave her credit for but her PR crew appear to be a bunch of scumbags who could comfortably nap on a corkscrew.
Ha ha ha! Is this a peculiarly Australian exrpression? Love it! I'm going to pull it out and see how they respond here in the States.

Also - I'm with you about "the record" nonsense. As far as I am concerned, she and Abby Sunderland both deserve a ton of credit and fanfare for their accomplishments, along with any other young-ish person who has the maturity and forethought to undertake something like this. Parsing it down to mileage or months just to win a competition is missing the point of what this is about. Really.

And I'm totally disgusted by Sail World magazine (is that the name?) Sure, if they want to question the specs and mileage it's their right, I guess, but it's awfully tacky and catty to bring this up RIGHT NOW as Jessica is preparing to arrive. It's so condescending: "Oh, yes, you've done something MAHVELOUS but, oh dear, it's not QUITE up to snuff, too bad, so sad, I guess now you won't be so happy arriving at the Opera House." They certainly could have raised this point a month or two down the line. It smacks of personal crap and just makes them look bad.

Carlos
Old 05-11-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
She did something I'll never do.

She did so it, she circumnavigated alone, and she's in an elite club. I think it was said that more people have gone to the moon than have done what she has done. She deserves that credit.

As for SailWorld? Screw them.

As for the the naysaying pikers who pick at the technicalities of what she has done, screw them too.

As for her PR team, yeah, them too.

I'll bet not a one of them has done this and never will.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon