Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Gary:

If you read her accounts, The ship did just that, changed course for a direct intercept after she checked her radar for any shipping problems. Avoidable, yes, if you don't take the 10-15 minute cat naps solo sailors use for sleep. She had 3 avoidance technologies on board. Two were on, one was not. I'm not sure we'll ever know what was used. Lesson she learned as did Zac & Mike due to close shipping calls, No sleep when in shipping areas. Means a lot of sleepless nights.

Omatako:

You really have to go back and read all the info on Zac's and Mike's blogs to get a full understanding of their trips and the rules & circumstances that governed what they did. Much to much info to recap here. They did go in different directions and different routes except they both went through Panama ( different directions) and for different reasons. Same rules for solo applied.
1976 #552
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Andre,
Have a read of the two sites. (google Zac Sunderland and Mike Perham).
I didn't take much interest in either journey to be honest. In ZS's case after reading a couple of his mother's contributions I wanted to throw the puter out the window.
In reality the thing that most gets up my nose with these attempts are the parent run blogs. OK so I'm a cynical old fart but I found them nauseating.
The main point for me was that both Perham and Sunderland effectively went on a round the world solo cruise. (Panama notwithstanding... I don't know what they did or how they got round the 'solo' rules.) They both had the opportunity to stop and smell the flowers now and then. In Sunderlands case it also seems to get laid.
Now Perham , I believe, intended to do it non stop or at most two stop but gear failure kept forcing him into port. I found Perham the more interesting character.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-15-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Check out the article I ran across in another forum. Anybody see any cause for concern in the story below? Isn't she supposed to be the skipper?

I've got a very bad feeling about this one.

Quote:
"GUSTY weather in Sydney is delaying the departure of teenage adventurer Jessica Watson, who is chomping at the bit to begin her round-the-world sailing attempt, a spokesman says. The 16-year-old, who hopes to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world, arrived in Sydney early last week at the helm of her yacht Ella's Pink Lady."

"Her departure has been delayed by strong winds that have battered Sydney in recent days and are forecast again for tomorrow. One of the young sailor's spokesmen, Scott Young, said her team were assessing the weather, and her send-off could be pushed back until early next week. "

""Our target was toward the end of this week and nothing has really changed other than the fact that we've always given ourselves a window through to about Tuesday or Wednesday next week," he said. "We've made sure that we don't send her out into some blistering gale.""

"Mr Young said the teenager was "jumping up and down, and can't wait to get cracking".
However, he said the young Queenslander was unfazed by the delays. Jessica will set sail from the The Spit in Sydney's Middle Harbour."

""Any adventurer wants to get going, but she works very well inside a team, and the team are advising her very well," he said. "She's just double checking supplies and rechecking inventory. "The boat is ready to go. It's a one hundred per cent bill of health and we're just waiting to pick the right day. After so many years of preparations it would be a pity to send her out in inclement weather." "

Windy weather delays Jessica's departure | National News | News.com.au

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-15-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2009
Emerging Sailor

erikdj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Check out the article I ran across in another forum. Anybody see any cause for concern in the story below? Isn't she supposed to be the skipper?

I've got a very bad feeling about this one.
I saw cause for concern when she saw the container ship on her radard and went down below to take a nap!! Ten minutes later she was dismasted as her boat slid down the side of the container ship.

Helloo?!?!?!!?! You identify a target on radar and you take a nap? Everyone seems bent on blaming the container ship without acknowledging her gross negligence in seeing and failing to avoid a huge ship!
Old 10-15-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I cannot say I am not concerned for her. but I do support and admire her spunk and determination as well as her belief in herself...to few kids seem to have that anymore.

I have spent now close to 15 years in kids ( Girls ) competitive Futbol ( Soccer ) and one thing is well apparent when it comes to sizing them up. They are worlds apart mentally and physically at every single age bracket...some never do catch up ever to their peers...I know nothing of Jessica's character but if I had to draw an analogy I would guess she is the kid that works her tail off at practice, listens to her coach, ignores the jeers from the stands, never misses an opportunity to compete rather injured or sick, has a positive team influence and is restless if off the field for any length of time.

I have one daughter competing at the P1 level now and it is amazing at 16 (Jessica's same age) what level these kids are physical and mentally competing at..It is easily above what collage level was 30+ years ago...the bar just keeps getting set higher and higher as it does in all sports.

A lot has been made of her pleasing looks as that in some way diminishes her qualification as a hardened steeled sort ready for battle with wind and wave...it has always amazed me that in Soccer it is more often then not the cute ones or down right beautiful ones that have the superior talent and drive to go with it.......go figure..

The fact that she does not have a lot of experience is concerting for her chosen route and nonstop attempt which could cost her,her life which would be tragic to read about..but as it is for the worlds greatest at anything to attempt even greater things it is a risk of life and limb and I wish her well.

If the parents are forcing her I say she is wrong to try.. However If this is her idea and she has grown up on boats and trained to do it I say more power to her and her parents must have extreme faith in her abilities to let her go.... or a total lack of common sense one or the other....but I see that every day with parents letting little 4 year old Johnny or Suzie's walk down town by them selves...In this day and age I see no difference the danger...at least Jessica would die doing what she must truly in her heart love doing however hard we may find that to swallow.

I'm glad my daughters are just trying to compete for a roster spot on some Collage team somewhere ...and I will continue to pray over them asking to keep them from getting brain damage or paralyzed or killed from injury in their chosen battle ground...One thing I do know for sure Jessica... I will add you to my prayer list.

May God place a hedge of protection around you.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-15-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2009

damies is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

Firstly, I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't do anything....

One thing many of you may not all be aware of; Here in Oz, at 16, Jessica is old enough to legally:
- Leave school and join the workforce (@ 14years and 9 months actually)
- Drive a car un-supervised (some restrictions)
- Hold a full boat licence
- Enter a contract (including marriage, purchase or rent a house, car, boat etc.)

So while her parents may support her endeavour, they legally have no control over her (though obviously she would have trouble doing this without her parents financial backing)

But interestingly she is still not deemed an adult... if she was to commit a crime she would be tried as a child in the children's court (until she is 17) and she can not legally buy alcohol or cigarettes or even enter a nightclub etc until she is 18.

So the difference between Jessica (16) and Laura (13) is that here in QLD there are no Legal obstacles. I will be interested to see if any of the countries that she transits through have differing laws that cause complications for her.

I can say, I wish I had the opportunity to make this kind of voyage at any age.

Dave.

Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun
Old 10-16-2009

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
I've been writing a series of articles about Jessica Watson's planned voyage and will continue to follow her progress daily.

You can find the articles here.

Murph'
Old 10-16-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmurph View Post
I've been writing a series of articles about Jessica Watson's planned voyage and will continue to follow her progress daily.

You can find the articles here.

Murph'
It's more fun if you just blabber about it here. Saves me the schlepping.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-16-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
It's more fun if you just blabber about it here. Saves me the schlepping.
I agree whole heartedly!!...Post it here!..these forums take enough of my time ..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-16-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Smack- excellent point, if she is experienced and mature enough to circumnavigate solo she should be the one to decide when SHE thinks it's the right time to leave. Like you I have a bad feeling about this one, hope I'm wrong.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse