Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009

nika44 is on a distinguished road
Wet vs Dry Storage

Fall is upon us and like, it seems, everything about boating, we are not getting a definite answer on if we should do dry vs wet storage. We need some help to make an informed decision.

Most of the old time sailors we talk to don't recommend taking the mast down. They tell us of horror stories about rigging that is broken, navigation and lights that don't work after the mast is stepped and the general wear and tear of the unstepping and stepping of the mast. All suggested removing the mast only about eery 5 years to check for wear and tear. Our boat is a new 08 Beneteau 40 demo boat that was just put in commission in April of 08. Mystic Shipyard which is known for its awesome rigging crew did the work and we have not had any issues. Unless we do wet storage there are not many marinas, that we know of, that allow dry storage with a mast up.

Our home port, at Spicers, offers wet storage in a well protected area that has not frozen in 5 years. They have year round help that monitors the docks and with an endorsement excluding freezing (because Spicers, does not use bubblers) our insurance carrier will cover all the other areas of concern, fire, theft etc.

I'd be interested in knowing what experiences fellow sailors have had and what marinas we should consider.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Many folks here in RI store in the water which isn't a problem as long as they have bubblers and your insurance covers freezing damage. Without these two conditions, I would never do in water storage nor would anyone I trust. The potential for problems is too great.
Leave the mast up and don't loosen the rigging - the difference in coef of expansion between aluminum (mast) and steel (rigging) is such that mother nature will loosen it all by herself. anything you do will only serve to create a problem.

If Spicers hasn't frozen over in 5 years, they are overdue...
Old 09-08-2009

Bubblers anyone?

I guess we need to look for a marina with bubblers. Although Spicers has told me that they have a launch ready to break up any ice should they form as they have many wet storage boats in their yard.

Anyone know of places in Ct around Mystic or over to Saybrook that are protected and have bubblers?
Old 09-08-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I normally have my boat hauled, the mast taken down, and the boat transported to a storage yard. In the spring the boat is moved down to the water, the mast stepped, and the boat launched.

I've been doing that since 2004 and I haven't had any serious problems. Yes, I have to disconnect the electrical wiring for the lights, wind instrument, VHF antenna, etc, but it's not too bad. Having the mast down allows me to do a very thorough job of inspecting the standing rigging, and to clean and lubricate both ends of the furling gear.

When I bought a new to me boat in the fall of 2006, the yard let me wet store it. That was cheaper than dry storage and the rig stayed up. To be honest, I hated it. I worried about the boat all winter, going there frequently and fearing every storm.

I much prefer dry storage. I don't have the option of dry storage with the rig up. So dry storage, and rig down, is fine with me. I have had a few wires damaged, but those wires were old and in poor condition anyway.

This is for the north shore of Long Island.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2009

JoeAbb is on a distinguished road
Brewers Pilots point in Westbrook will do wet storage with bubblers for $36 per foot. If you want dry storage and want to leave the mast in it is $52 per foot....
Old 09-10-2009
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nika44 View Post
I guess we need to look for a marina with bubblers. Although Spicers has told me that they have a launch ready to break up any ice should they form as they have many wet storage boats in their yard.

Anyone know of places in Ct around Mystic or over to Saybrook that are protected and have bubblers?
Fort Rachel, Mystic. Just past Daniel Packard Inn.

Year before last I stayed int he water all winter. This year I'm doing it again...probably for two years. I put three coats of Interlux multi season so with some bottom cleaning in the warmer months I should be fine.

Taking the mast down gets old after a few years. Sooner or later you will find some damage and if you think ANY yard is going to pay to fix something they may or may not have broken 6 months ago...think again. I've been there.

You can also haul up river in Pawcatuck, New London, etc and leave the stick in for the winter. It's mostly the Noank area they must pull the sticks as the wind has knocked boats over in the past (I'm almost positive that insurance is cheaper for yards in Noank if they pull the masts on larger boats.)

Anyway, you might get a few more weeks of sailing if you leave her in the water. Also, it's cheaper.

As for Fort Rachel, I think their service is great. Drive in and see just how protected the yard is from offshore breeze. The train tracks, bridge, and hills really act as a buffer from anything southerly. They put bubblers in as/if/when needed and have an ice boat.

I'm in Noank on a mooring in front of Abbots.. PM me if you ever want to go for a sail
Old 09-10-2009

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
I am pretty sure there are several places in Mystic that have in-water winter storage.
Fort Rachel, Seaport Marine, and some others all offer it.
Saybrook is dangerous because some years the ice flow down the river is very damaging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2009

wet storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Fort Rachel, Mystic. Just past Daniel Packard Inn.

Year before last I stayed int he water all winter. This year I'm doing it again...probably for two years. I put three coats of Interlux multi season so with some bottom cleaning in the warmer months I should be fine.

Taking the mast down gets old after a few years. Sooner or later you will find some damage and if you think ANY yard is going to pay to fix something they may or may not have broken 6 months ago...think again. I've been there.

You can also haul up river in Pawcatuck, New London, etc and leave the stick in for the winter. It's mostly the Noank area they must pull the sticks as the wind has knocked boats over in the past (I'm almost positive that insurance is cheaper for yards in Noank if they pull the masts on larger boats.)

Anyway, you might get a few more weeks of sailing if you leave her in the water. Also, it's cheaper.

As for Fort Rachel, I think their service is great. Drive in and see just how protected the yard is from offshore breeze. The train tracks, bridge, and hills really act as a buffer from anything southerly. They put bubblers in as/if/when needed and have an ice boat.

I'm in Noank on a mooring in front of Abbots.. PM me if you ever want to go for a sail
Hi, thanks for the info. I am also concerned about ustepping and stepping the mast each year. I see doing this only every 5 years or so. I did find out that Crockers in New London offers wet storage with bubblers or dry leaving the mast up which is a little cheaper. It apperars to be a well protected location. We will checkout Fort Rachel, it sounds like a good option. One question I have is which storage is better for the boat. Does keeping it in the water create any mildew issues from the cold and dampness. Shrink wrapping on dry land seems to create a greenhouse effect and with a few mildew containers my previous boat a power boat, it was nice and dry. What happens if you get some water in the bilge ad it freezes. I imagine keeping the mast up, in a storm, wet storage is better. Do you do shrink wrap at Port Rachel. Do you remove the boom?

We plan to head out to Block the next two weekends but will be around in Oct so maybe we can get together to sail then.

I'd be cirious if anyone has experience with Crockers, too.
Old 09-14-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its really and insurance issue as at least mine is and 8 month in the water policy which requires hauling by date X

It seems to common on Long Island to require a different insurance rate for wet storage

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-14-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Its really and insurance issue as at least mine is and 8 month in the water policy which requires hauling by date X

It seems to common on Long Island to require a different insurance rate for wet storage
I believe this is more a function of the insurance undewriter than it is location.
Our last two insurance companies, Zurich and Markel both allow in-water storage for no increase in premium provided the yard uses bubblers and the boat is de-commissioned, i.e., winterized.