Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
Question about boom height

I recently found out that i could "raise" my boom..byt loosing up my boom vang and pulling on the " topping lift???" - this may not be correct.

But my question is, at what height should the boom be? I have had it 'down' since I bought it, which means I could not stand up under it ( Im 5'8" ) on my Catalina 25.

Should it be up a bit or lowered all the way to down? I assume this will affect the sail shape ( but which way changes for what shape? ).

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

When the sail is down, you can use the topping lift (as long as you slack the main sheet and vang) to raise the main as high as you like. Raise it up so no can bump their head on the boom.

When you raise the sail, you should slack the topping lift so that it is not holding the boom up. The sail will hold the boom up. Now you can trim the sail with the main sheet (and vang when sailing down wind).

If you have the topping lift on when the main is up, you won't be able to trim the main when going upwind.

Good luck,
Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Barry's spot on.

You need to be sure your topping lift is slacked once you've hoisted the main to the correct luff tension. If at any time while sailing in normal breezes you notice the topping lift get taut, loosen it a bit til it's slack.

In the lightest air you can use the topping lift to support the boom when the boom weight distorts sail trim, removing the desired twist. This can be a problem when tacking as the topping lift will chafe/interfere with the leech from time to time.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-10-2009

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
When you raise the mainsail, you should first release all the devices that could be holding the sail or boom down. The mainsheet should be eased a bit, as well as the mainsail downhaul, the boom vang, the cunningham, and also any stops that might be in the mainsail track above the boom. When there are no devices that are holding the sail or boom down, then raise the mainsail as high as it will go, and cleat the halyard. Then use whatever sail tensioning devices that you have (The C25 should have a mainsail downhaul.) to tension the luff of the mainsail appropriately for the strength of the ambient wind.

The height of the boom will depend on whether your boat is a standard rig or tall rig C25, and whether the sail is a standard sized sail for the boat. (Some owners of tall rig boats put smaller mainsails on them, to raise the boom higher.)
Old 09-10-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
Hmm. I learn something everytime I post on here.
I have noticed that I have the boom supported by the topping lift, which is wrong apparently.

i will try this out this weekend and see how better I sail.