Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Bird poo sux - pix of deterrent

So, a few weeks ago, my wife and I were returning to our mooring after a great sail, and witnessed an osprey let fly on our neighbor's beautiful wooden boat. He (the bird) was sitting on a spreader, lifted up his tail feathers and let fly with a fire hose jet of poo. Unbelievable...had to have emptied half his body.

We kind of chuckled, in awe, joking a little...and thanking the gods that it wasn't our boat.

Well, we laughed too soon. The next time out to the boat, I discovered an osprey had decided to switch stalls (probably out of tp on the other boat).

I spent an hour scrubbing, cursing, rinsing, cursing, scrubbing. Plus, we're on a mooring, so no fresh water rinsing. Salt dries and encrusts...lovely. Contrary to earlier in the season, it's been rain-less lately...so...salt and poo. AND BOTH STINK!

Well, after a few more times spending an hour scrubbing, I decided to try to scare him off.

I heard the plastic owls don't work after a while, but figured I'd try that. Keep moving him around the boat so it seems as if he's actually somewhat real. Plus fluttering ribbon to show movement and hopefully, convince him to roost elsewhere. I used tarp clips and tied orange marking tape in long streamers. Easy to clip on and remove.

I adorned the boat last Sunday, and when I went out yesterday, it was clean! So far, so good.

I'll report on long term later...

Osprey deterrent pictures by norsksailor - Photobucket

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I've also seen those owls covered in guano... I think the birds figure it out eventually.

To discourage spreader perching a thin line or stainless wire strung about 2-3 inches above the spreader between mast and shroud is usually enough to make it difficult for most birds to land there.

"Spike boards" of one type or another can be applied to radomes and mastheads (though tough there with all the other things already up there) can do the same... kind of unsightly, though...

In this regard, I HATE blackberry season.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-10-2009
Vikingsailor

Thanks...when the mast goes up next spring, I'll string line between the shrouds and mast.
YEAH! Damn berries...nice stains.

I actually saw him sitting on the lifelines once. Jerk.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 09-10-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I feel your pain -- been there more than once. Also on a mooring.

They especially seem to like perching on the mainsail cover, where they tear their fish apart while eating, strewing scales, guts, eyeballs, bones, etc all over the deck.

Over the years, we've found that the key is to make your boat slightly less convenient than your neighbor's as a roosting/feeding spot.

In your case, I would string a line over the boom, from the mast back to the topping lift, maybe a foot or so above the boom. This makes it very difficult for them to land on/takeoff from the boom, so they don't perch there. Same with your halyards -- set them up so as to interfere with the "airspace" around your boat as much as possible, which makes it difficult for them to fly up to any part of your boat.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-10-2009

chappyonice is on a distinguished road
Here's my deterrent:

Old 09-10-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Dude......

I was in Friendship Harbor last week and took a couple of photos of your boat and you're definitely LOSING the bird battle. It killed me to see just how white your beautiful navy blue canvas was.... Ouch!!! I was hoping to see you there but it was mid day, mid week and we only stopped in for lunch.

P.S. The West side of Gay Island possibly has the most pot buoys I've seen in a while!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-10-2009
Vikingsailor

Ah...yeah...thinking of bringing the dodger & sailcover home to scrub them. But, I'm waiting to see how well my deterrents work.

Maine...too bad I missed you...I would have come down. I am less than 5 mins from the harbor. Work from home, so was probably here.

Send a note next time you'll be in the area.

Sailed yesterday (managed to get out early as there was NO POO to scrub!). Should be sailing today...the wind is great! But, I gotta work sometime.

Stupid work...interfering with my sailing time.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Old 09-10-2009
Vikingsailor

Oh, thanks for the pic of all the poo.

I took some for posterity, but dumped them as I have to watch my blood pressure.

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30

Last edited by c40eb; 09-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by c40eb View Post
Oh, thanks for the pic of all the poo.

I took some for posterity, but dumped them as I have to watch my blood pressure.
I would have never posted it had you not brought it up....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-11-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Sea gulls are scared of owls

Hmmmmmm . . . . . . . .

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.