Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009

bigcj39 is on a distinguished road
thanks guys!just ordered mine.I intend on using my boat all year so i think it should come in handy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDB View Post
Traveling longer distances one doesn't get the choice of nice warm weather every day. If you daysail your boat or only go out on nice weekends that's great, but some people like to be warm and dry when they travel.

When we took our boat to the Bahamas from the Chesapeake in November, there were few warm dry days. We met may purists wearing full exposure suits obviously not enjoying life, while we were in sweatshirts inside our enclosure.

Don't travel without one.
My wife and I took our boat around Vancouver Island last summer starting and ending from our dock 300 miles up the Columbia River, a trip of more than 2000 miles over a period of 3 months. Don't talk to me about having to always be toasty warm and dry to have fun. Sailing is an outdoor activity!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Mine started life as a bimini with a front screen. We turned it into this:

Yep there are some that prefer to be out in the elements. Our enclosure zips off completely in 6 different panels, returning it to a bimini, all in about 5 minutes to get it all off and ten minutes back it all back on.

So if I want elements I have it and if I want toasty I have that too. Why limit your choices?

The singular disadvantage? At 70 knots of wind the enclosure will go into the sea. I know. This is my second one.

But like some of the posts above, I wouldn't go on a voyage without it.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-15-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
First of all I don't have a full enclosure, just a dodger and bimini, but in my opinion if you want to shut yourself in while on your boat then why not just stay at home and watch sailing videos?
Why confused - I love watching Captain Ron, but I don't do it on my back porch in the pouring rain!

It must be nice to sail where there is no rain, fog or bad weather.

Rik
Old 09-15-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We spent the money on a full enclosure and love it. It's like having an additional room on the boat. We only put it up when it's nasty out, which it has been often this summer. Otherwise we roll and tie each panel up in soft fabric to keep it from getting beat up. It takes a few minutes to put up or take down but I try to plan ahead so I'm not doing so every other day. IMO it's one of the best improvements we've made to the boat.
Old 09-15-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
I am wrestling with this issue... raised on chris craft that had enclosures as a matter of course. they were good to have on cold evenings and in bad weather and they provided shade on the hot days, but they always felt cumbersome and I hated how grimy they got.

now with tsunami we are going back and forth on the issue. Just a sunshade that pops up easily and could provide some rain protection but would prolly have to come down in wind of any magnitude? or a dodger that would be a pretty permanent item? or a full on dodger bimini combo to create that 'extra room'?

to add to the confusion our little hole in the water is a flush deck, so how to position the thing if we do want to do it...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 09-15-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
The Con - when you're the only one with a full enclosure at anchor and the mosquitos are out....your boat becomes the place for sundowners. Which is not all that bad for the only con that I can come up with.

Last edited by canadianseamonkey; 09-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Another negative from beautiful British Columbia!
I can't imagine trying to actually sail, using all the lines and rigging with a full enclosure blocking my ability to maneuver my body and limbs. When the day comes that I need a full enclosure it will be a trawler so that I can operate the boat in my pyjamas.
That said I do see the advantage of a bimini and dodger. I have a bimini that I use at the slip and various marinas and anchorages but I cannot sail with the bimini up, so it remains down when under way. I woukld like a dodger some day to keep the colder winds off the cockpit. All we need is to keep the breeze off the companionway bulkhead area to be a bit warmer while travelling under the iron genny. When the weather is inclement enough for a full enclosure it is usually time to stay at home and live to sail another day.
Perhaps a pilot house sailboat would be a fair compromise here in the PNW.
Old 09-15-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Another comment: As a liveaboard or someone with kids, it is a huge plus.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-15-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes... I'm not so hardy that I'll sail around here without a dodger - as far as I'm concerned a dodger is a must esp for the cooler seasons - much as a bimini is desirable in the tropics.

The dodger also, if well designed, allows one to keep a hatch open in rain for ventilation and light.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)