Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Am I just being sensitive?

This happened on the weekend. We weren't racing or anything, just a fun sail. I'm just curious about what kind of courtesy one should expect.

So I'm beating about as close as I can get (I'm the green boat). On the tack I'm on I should just be able to leave the red buoy to starboard. I can't leave it to port as this would put me on the shoal.

The approaching vessel rounds the marker and sails towards me on a very broad reach - practically a run. She is a Nonsuch and has her sail eased as far out as it will go.

If the Nonsuch veers a few degrees to her starboard I can maintain my heading and get past the marker. We're only talking a few degrees and the Nonsuch has plenty of searoom on her starboard side. If the Nonsuch holds her course, I will be forced to bear off and tack to get around the marker.

Even though the Nonsuch was the stand-on vessel - due to it being on a starboard tack - should her skipper have given way to allow me to pass the buoy without tacking? This would not cause him any inconvenience and would definitely assist me.

Was I expecting too much for the other skipper to have that much situational awareness?

As it turned out the Nonsuch stood on and we waved as we passed; we performed a couple of extra tacks - no harm: no foul.

No animosity - just a question.

What do you think?

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post

Was I expecting too much for the other skipper to have that much situational awareness?
Probably.

They likely didn't analyze beyond establishing that they were stand-on and you were give-way. Some folks even feel the best thing to do is to hold course so that the give-way can make a plan based on a reasonable expectation of where the stand-on will be.

They were technically fine but, sure, it would have been nice if they could have given you a little space since you were pressing hard to make a windward mark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-15-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Don't expect anything. Ever. It would be nice if the other boat headed up to let you in, but I wouldn't expect it. Honestly, I don't try to anticipate (assume) what another boat is going to do. This can get you into trouble.

edit: john beat me to it.
Old 09-15-2009

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
I would have beat to quarters, ran out the starboard battery, and presented my broadside!

On a serious note, it's unfortunate that common sense and common courtesy are not so common.
Old 09-15-2009

ericread is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=JohnRPollard;522846]Probably.

Some folks even feel the best thing to do is to hold course so that the give-way can make a plan based on a reasonable expectation of where the stand-on will be.

QUOTE]

I agree. In my US Sailing classes it has been drummed into me to hold course as the stand-on vessel. Once I start changing tack, the give-way vessel no longer knows my intentions. By the same token, as the stand-on vessel I really don't know your intentions. Are you waiting for me to pass so that you can tack to port? Or are you heading straight to get around the red buoy? Add a few more boats in the area and it starts to get a bit messy...
Old 09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0w0rries View Post
I would have beat to quarters, ran out the starboard battery, and presented my broadside!

On a serious note, it's unfortunate that common sense and common courtesy are not so common.
I don't think that the Nonsuch skipper was being discourteous. I think he wasn't aware of how his course impacted mine.

He was absolutely quite correct in maintaining his heading as he was clearly the stand-on vessel.

I just wonder, as a relatively new sailor, would someone expect me, under the same circumstances, to have enough awareness to adjust my course in order to allow a disadvantaged boat a break?

BTW - if I had run out the starboard battery and let fly with a muzzle-load of grape, the people on Present Island would be a bit put out. (look at the diagram)

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 09-15-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Discourteous is being pleasant. It might really hurt to give a few degress, and all it takes is some observation. If the Nonsuch was smart enough to know the rules. He should've been courteous enough not to pinch you. That's what a gentleman, or lady would do. Definately the Nonsuch was neither..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-15-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You are assuming he even knew he was the stand-on or that he had any clue you were having to deal with his lack of attention.

I am very sensitive about how I impact other boats. I make sure that if I am passing or being passed, I give a lot of leeway. I find that many sailors do not know the rules of the road and simply are oblivious to what is around them. I find this charachter trait just short of completely prevalent in motor boaters, especially craft 45 feet and under.

My best guess is that he meant no harm and simply was doing his best to keep going straight. I probably would not have said anything either - him being a sailboat. But a motor boat on the other hand... I have no problem calling a spade a spade and doing so on CH 16 while mentioning the name of his boat. It never does any good, though. Most never learned how to turn on their VHF, if they even knew they had one.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-15-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
You could have tacked in front of him (assuming you had room) and made him the give way vessel. Then after he passed you could have tacked back over to port and had an easier angle past the mark.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
You could have tacked in front of him (assuming you had room) and made him the give way vessel. Then after he passed you could have tacked back over to port and had an easier angle past the mark.
I considered that but I didn't want to cut him off, and I still thought I might make it past the mark.
As Maxwell Smart said, "Missed it by that much!"