Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Hinckley B40 across the Big Pond??

Howdy All,
i know its not an ideal ocean boat but, it can do a couple other things pretty well. 1.center-board 4'6" draft can clear the french canels 2.can race as a classic at cowles race week... 3. its really pretty and should sell easily over there or once i get home... Pro's & Con's who have some time on these boats would be nice.....
thanks cats & kittens.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2009
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Cats & kittens...?
Old 09-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Cats & kittens...?
Referring to all the Kool Cats (guys), & Sexy Kittens (gals) here at good ol' Sailnet....
Old 09-16-2009

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I sailed on Bermuda 40s many times many years ago. It was all coastal sailing so I can't comment on bluewater capability, but to my mind there isn't a more graceful looking boat anywhere.
Old 09-16-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If you already owned a Bermuda 40 and knew that the boat was in really good shape, and not just cosmetically clean, and that she was not beaten to death by a few or more minor or major clamities piled on to decades of hard use, and normal wear and tear. And you were a really knowledgable sailor so that you knew when to change sails, and the boat was already fit out with the proper gear and with storm sails for that kind of passage, and you were good with the boat's rolly, pitchy motion, clunking centerboard, and slow speed and did not mind packing light and being wet for 3-4 weeks or so, then why not.

People have taken these boats all over the place. The Bermuda 40 would be close to the bottom of my list of boats capable of making a passage like this, but then again, it would not be me making the passage. From my perspective, offshore passage makers should not be sellected based on their looks alone.

Good luck whatever you do,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 09-16-2009

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardyacht View Post
3. its really pretty and should sell easily over there or once i get home...
To sell it in the EU you need to have it certified to comply with the Recreational Craft Directive and obtain CE certification. There are companies that offer this service. It can be very expensive.

It would be worth checking with Hinckley if they have experience with this for the B40.

Either you or the buyer will have to pay VAT (19.6% in France). Probably you.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 09-16-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Oh come on. They arent all that bad. After all, they were designed in the first place to go to BERMUDA which, last time I looked at a map, was out there in the ocean. "bottom of the list"???? You must be joking. I can think of quite a few production boats that ought to rank lower than a well found B40.
Old 09-16-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If you already owned a Bermuda 40 and knew that the boat was in really good shape, and not just cosmetically clean, and that she was not beaten to death by a few or more minor or major clamities piled on to decades of hard use, and normal wear and tear. And you were a really knowledgable sailor so that you knew when to change sails, and the boat was already fit out with the proper gear and with storm sails for that kind of passage, and you were good with the boat's rolly, pitchy motion, clunking centerboard, and slow speed and did not mind packing light and being wet for 3-4 weeks or so, then why not.

People have taken these boats all over the place. The Bermuda 40 would be close to the bottom of my list of boats capable of making a passage like this, but then again, it would not be me making the passage. From my perspective, offshore passage makers should not be sellected based on their looks alone.

Good luck whatever you do,
Jeff
Jeff - since this discussion happens a lot, have you written up maybe a top 10 BlueWater list somewhere? If so, dump it in "The Salt's Corner Table" thread - or tell me where it is and I'll do it. It would be a great resource.

I already found one of your lists about boats in the 25K range and have added that one - but a top 10 BWC would be good, with explanations of why.

Happy to do the legwork if it's already out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-16-2009

[QUOTE=Jeff_H;523163]If you already owned a Bermuda 40 and knew that the boat was in really good shape, and not just cosmetically clean, and that she was not beaten to death by a few or more minor or major clamities piled on to decades of hard use, and normal wear and tear. And you were a really knowledgable sailor so that you knew when to change sails, and the boat was already fit out with the proper gear and with storm sails for that kind of passage, and you were good with the boat's rolly, pitchy motion, clunking centerboard, and slow speed and did not mind packing light and being wet for 3-4 weeks or so, then why not.

Jeff, i respect your opinions and your posts may be the most well thought out on any sailing BB that i know of... but in my case i have a unique set of criteria... i want to sail across, (maybe back) spend a little time in the Med, then truck the stick to LaHarve and motor up the french canals. Come back following summer do Cowles week then the rally/race from the Canaries back across... then sell the boat without losing much $$$, then get a pretty daysailor... all that on a limited budget...
also, boats to me are more than a means to an end, i really want to look at my boat everyday and say, wow, she's mine, i am one lucky s.o.b. !!!
Old 09-16-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Which way in the French canals?

Before getting too far into your planning you might want to check to see if it is feasible to go through the canals from south to north. I understand that after leaving the Med you are in Rhone River and that currents can be quite extreme (4+ knots) until you get into the canal proper further north.

We may be going to Europe next summer and we were thinking about crossing in June and spending the summer on the Atlantic shore (Portugal, Spain, France, UK, Ireland) before wintering in London. The next year we would go to the Med southbound. It would be nice to ship the mast but would have to see how much it costs. I have done the Erie Canal many times with the mast on deck and it is doable, you just have to be careful and remember that your boat is a lot 'bigger' than you remember.

If you are confident in your boat go for it. I had a friend who did two Atlantic crossings in an Ericsson 29 many years ago. The B40 may not be the perfect boat for the trip but it is at least an OK one.

BTW, we rented a powerboat on the Canal du Midi a number of years ago - just a fabulous experience. It is a pre-industrial canal (opened in 1680) and the designer did a wonderful job of following the countours of the land to minimize the amount of work involved. The result is that it curves around one hill and then curves the other way around the next. We spent several days going through vineyards and at some they left some bottles on a barrel next to the canal - you pulled over and left your money. You can stop anywhere you like - docks in the vilages are free and away from the villages you can drive metal stakes into the bank and tie up to them.

It is not very deep, I would have to see whether we could do it with our 4'10" draft.