Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Is this a “show us what you got” thread? What you bring should be proportionate to what the trip is. This what I took on the PacCup – had to bring extras as I was packing for two weeks and the fact that we were crossing three climate zones (and no dodger). All this went into a single duffle including blanket for sleeping. I bring considerably less for a weekend race.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
come on pal, you know what they say.... all youve got to do is tell them 'once they go smack they never go back.'
Yes, a quote oft spoken 'round the world. Heh-heh.

And I'm all over the leatherman - good idea.

I'll let you guys know how this stuff holds up with use.

AWWW HELL NO!! GB, I just saw your bag (that's what she said)! Dude, you win! Now label all that stuff smart guy so I can have a nice long shopping list!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-18-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
oh, and ive been happy with this:

Freedomâ„¢ LED Flashlight - Waterproof - Save 60%

no batteries needed....after all you do want to see what you are smackin

errrr or maybe not.... roflmao

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 04-18-2011

Smack, can you give us at least a little info like the predicted number of days/nights at sea and the location or general climate? Big difference between the VanIsle 360 and Newport-Ensenada. A couple of quick observations, you need a tether, and perhaps a crotch strap. Can you return the light? ACR makes a strobe and holder that connects to the manual air-fill on the vest. It’s on the inside, always there and doesn’t take up much room. While you’re at it, throw out the cheapie whistle and replace it with one that will save your life. Get an extra cartridge for the vest – I have had these vests go off. I think the guys on the Volvo must all use manuals. Headlamp with red lens is good, I also carry a small maglite on one of those badge lanyards around my neck. I also do this with my personal knife. You’d be surprised how many times that knife will be in the wrong pants pocket when you need it.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 04-18-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
GB, I just sent you a pm regarding the race. I don't want to talk about it just yet...but soon.

As for the other suggestions...I'm on it. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011

No prob Smack. You’re represent’n Sailnet now and we don’t want you coming off as a total tool and dweeb when you step aboard the boat. This is a pretty quick trip so you won’t be getting used to the short sleep patterns so leave a lot of that personal stuff at home as you won’t have much time to use it – you will be racing pretty much every waking moment. Even if you are not hot bunking, space will be a premium and you will want to be able to stow everything in your bag before you go on watch. Nothing gets the ire of a crew more than somebody’s stuff scattered all over the cabin.
Old 04-18-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
No prob Smack. You’re represent’n Sailnet now...
Somewhere in the world, Rob Proctor is sighing deeply and shaking his head in remorseful thought. Heh-heh.

Old 04-18-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Don,t race agus never been more that 20 mile off shore on my sailboat.
Hope it goes well.
Safe sailing
Old 04-20-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Add a package of "Body Wipes" which is the same as baby wipes but has a different name on the package. This will reduce the usage of fresh water on board the boat and do just a good as a wash rag.
For some people they may need two packages of Body Wipes. Some people's stinky body parts may need going over twice or more times.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 04-20-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Add a package of "Body Wipes" which is the same as baby wipes but has a different name on the package. This will reduce the usage of fresh water on board the boat and do just a good as a wash rag.
For some people they may need two packages of Body Wipes. Some people's stinky body parts may need going over twice or more times.
Have we sailed together before boas? Heh-heh.

I'll pack 2. Great advice.