Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Body wipes. <- best advice ever. The girl friend offered to pick some up for my bermuda return trip and I said "no, I got soap". Well 2nd day the soap went flying off the transom and into the Atlantic. Oops.

Also, Gold bond medicated powder. The guys over on SA turned me onto it. Search for "20,000 angels gently blowing on your balls" and it should pop up. Keeps you from getting swamp ass while on the rail. Obviously, this is for warmer climates. They do make a green bottle, which is "mentholy", but beware, this stuff is intense.
Old 04-20-2011

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
I will third the recommendation for body wipes (although, frankly, we just get the "Baby" wipes, the name doesn't bother us) and second the warning about the Gill gloves... haven't been at all happy with the durability, stitching started coming out after the first season.

Also, someone said something about returning the ACR light for a different model... don't! The best thing about that combo light is that you will use it regularly, and thus, if you ever need it, you'll know it's working. Can't remember how many times I have seen people turn their strobe on after finally remembering to test it after it's been sitting forgotten on their vest for several seasons only to see nothing happen. In a perfect world, you would test them regularly anyway... but as a practical matter, the best guarantee is to make the test part of something you need to do anyway, like using a flashlight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I just added a couple more very cool items based on suggestions above:

Tether (with quick-release shackle):

A water-proof fanny pack:

And a cheapo Energizer headlamp (we'll see how long it lasts):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-25-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I canít see the picture. Iím supposing that it has a red lens cover and that you can control the light intensity. ACR used to make a great ďsurvivalĒ fanny pack. I donít know why they stopped producing it. I still like the ACR strobe and clip. I like the fact that it is protected inside the vest and not getting caught on things. I also like the idea that the battery hasnít been used and if I need it to strobe all night, it will. I also take safety at sea seriously and maintain all my equipment and that means rotating out the strobeís batteries and into my flashlight. I also check my CO2 cartridge too. Not hard, but then again, we do periodic MOB and recovery drills too.
Old 04-25-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Since it's you Smack, I'll add a couple of Necessary items......
1. Compass....Plastimo Iris 50 or 100 would be desired....I never go anywhere without one, and a back-up for GPS or on-board units.
2. Bagbalm....The best for chafe...being in a moist enviroment for days on end will result......in chafe.
3. Personal First-aid kit
4. Binoculars...I like 7x50 with a compass. Great for watching sea-life, wild-life, or what you might use them for while on a boat.
Sounds like most everything else has been covered.
Best of Luck
Kary
S/V Mariah

Last edited by 75R20; 04-25-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75R20 View Post
Since it's you Smack, I'll add a couple of Necessary items......
1. Compass....Plastimo Iris 50 or 100 would be desired....I never go anywhere without one, and a back-up for GPS or on-board units.
2. Bagbalm....The best for chafe...being in a moist enviroment for days on end will result......in chafe.
3. Personal First-aid kit
4. Binoculars...I like 7x50 with a compass. Great for watching sea-life, wild-life, or what you might use them for while on a boat.
Sounds like most everything else has been covered.
Best of Luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Sweet - thanks 75!

I'm really torn on the GPS/PLB/SPOT thing. I've been looking at some great threads on SA about this - but haven't found a good solution yet.

Bottom line - okay, I should just carry a freakin' $600+ 406 EPIRB on my belt if I REALLY want to be safe. But c'mon. Then the next step down is carrying a $300 PLB.

But what about the Spot Messenger? Or the Standard Horizon HX851? But then you still need a GPS.

Sure wish there was a Swiss Army Knife solution for this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-27-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Take what Joshua Slocum had taken on his voyage around the world.
One boat, some clothing & foulies, and enough food for port to port transits.
A sextant and pubs. along with charts & sailing directions.
No fancy electronic gagets, Nope none what so ever. Do you know why?

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 04-27-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Take what Joshua Slocum had taken on his voyage around the world.
One boat, some clothing & foulies, and enough food for port to port transits.
A sextant and pubs. along with charts & sailing directions.
No fancy electronic gagets, Nope none what so ever. Do you know why?
A "Sextent" was both a basic, and a required tool of the "early" days, but the skills to operate one, along with an accurate timepiece, were the electronic gagets of the day.
Don't know bout you, but I'd hate to cross an ocean without something like that........
I DO know that I'd run out of food long before I reached my desired location, or any piece of land period, with my luck, if all I had was a sextent.

Thank god for fancy electronic gagets.

Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 04-27-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
J. Slocum time piece was an old alarm clock... and it wasn't very acurate.
The reason he didn't take the fancy electronic toys was.......
You can get two sun lines without a sextant. Sunrise and Sunset for longitude. And a noon sight for latitude. You can use a sextant, astrolabe, a protractor with a weighted string.

Because there weren't any when he made his voyage.

Now Jessica Watson's voyage; She had internet blogging, Sat phone, AIS, GPS, Solar panels, and wind generator. Her reasoning? She was a teenager and needed the social interact with her peers during her trip. Or there would be irriparable harm to her psychic.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 04-27-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Smack, your first time on salt water and you are already signed on as ďnavigatorĒ? Most likely you will wind up as a winch monkey with an occasional turn at the helm or spin trim (or are you really signing on as cabin boy and bunk buddy?) Leave all that crap like Binos, extra GPS, compass, etc at home. That's just going to wind up as clutter. Remember, on a race boat there will be a lot of guys and gear and too few bunks. Donít bring stuff that will wind up as extra clutter. Can the extra crap as you will be too busy racing to find time to play with it. Instead of running a personal GPS, I copy down the positions from the log into my personal journal. If you are worried about falling off the boat, take a small hand held radio in your pocket. Itís more important to communicate to the boat you fell off than to the folks back home.