Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009

LongWay is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 Offshore

I know that a Catalina 30 is not a bluewater cruiser. However, is this an acceptable boat for a 30 mile offshore race in the Gulf of Mexico?

No intentions to cross oceans or even the Gulf of Mexico, just 30-35 miles out and back off the Texas coast.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Long - much more knowledgeable dudes will come along to give you real advice - but my take is that it wouldn't be a problem at all if the boat's in good shape. If the weather's favorable, it should actually be a blast.

As long as the motor is in good shape, you'd be able to get back in pretty quickly if need be.

The Catalinas are designed as solid coastal cruisers - and 30 miles out still counts as very coastal as far as I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-19-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Properly equipped, in decent conditions -- no problem. Just my opinion.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-19-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Thiry miles out isn't a problem with your boat - if you hear of bad weather coming, you've got plenty of time to get back. Where are you starting from?
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 09-19-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Bluewater has many definitions, but for me it has always been about being far enough from land or safe harbor that you're weather forecasts have run out and you have to make do no matter what the elements throw you. By what you've provided about your journey, I wouldn't consider this truly bluewater...simply offshore for a stretch of time.

That being said, if I was out there with a stock Catalina 30, I wouldn't go out far enough to run out of weather forecasts
Old 09-20-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Given a moderate weather window, this is only an extended daysail, so you're good to go...

I would consider harnesses and tethers and maybe installing a couple of padeyes and a jackline for going forward, however. It's a pretty light boat with a relatively small rudder and a good swell is going to make it rolly. Not unstable, but more rolly than inshore sailing will generally provide, so it's a question of keeping the crew low and attached to the boat.

I would also consider positive locking with barrel bolts for the dropboards. One of the things I dislike about the Cat 30 is that gigantic companionway, and out of sight of shore, I would very much want at least the first board locked in place if a big 'un came in over the stern.

Other than that, just watch your weather forecasts. You probably know better than me that a Catalina 30 can get a little squirrelly to steer on a run past 22 knots or so.
Old 09-20-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
You probably know better than me that a Catalina 30 can get a little squirrelly to steer on a run past 22 knots or so.
Whoa -- a Cat30 will do 22 kts downwind? Schweet! Much cheaper to campaign than a Mumm/Farr 30.

Nice thing about the Texas Gulf Coast -- thirty miles offshore, the water is still only five feet deep. If it cuts up you can always walk home! (Kidding.) It can get a little choppy out there and shake your teeth loose upwind, but a thirty-footer should come thru fine. I'd bring seasickness treatment if anyone is at all prone. Enjoy your adventure!
Old 09-20-2009

LongWay is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for the insight.s I have owned her for two years and she is kept in good condition. Most sailing so far has been in the protected waters of Galveston Bay or near shore. Now looking to venture out a bit further.

I am very consistent about tying off on the boat, especially in bad weather or outside the Galveston jetties, as it does get choppy out there.

Good thoughts on locking one of the drop boards.

Thanks all, keep any other suggestions or insights coming!
Old 09-20-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
If you are asking then you want to go for it. Make sure you the boat and crew are in order and do it if you want. Damm it man, the freeway would be more Dangerous
Old 09-20-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
The recent Newport to Ensanada race (last April, 125 nm)
Cleve Hardaker on his Catalina 30, Sojourn, from Silver Gate Yacht Club in San Diego...made the most of conditions favorable to smaller boats to win (1) the President of Mexico Trophy for first place overall in the race on corrected handicap time, (2) first among PHRF boats, (3) first in PHRF-K class for the highest-rated boats, (4) first Catalina boat and (5) a $5,000 Corum watch for first overall.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.