Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009
Gate Crasher

SoftJazz is on a distinguished road
Most of my sailing is racing, & our rules require all persons on board to wear a PFD. The last couple of years, I wore a vest, but now am looking for an inflatable. The vest is a PITA when you're railmeat & constantly going under the boom.

When out for a day sail, sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't. When racing, I wear my team shirt, but when out for a cruise, I like to wear bright orange or hot pink or something really highly visible as well. If I go overboard, I want to be seen.

New York State has some kind of requirement regarding life vests for all on board certain boats during colder weather that I read about recently, but offhand I don't recall what it is.
Old 09-20-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Yes,

I figure if I fall into our waters here in PugetSound etc, ie where ArgleBargle and I sail, I have maybe 15-30 min max before I am unconcious. At least family per say can recover the body if they wish. I do have jack lines I put on last spring for rough days. Otherwise, everyone has an inflatable PFD.

Started this way when I was starting to be on a boat, about 3 yrs of age or so, kinda like may parents were with seatbelts in cars! Even at 48, when I have neither on, it feels funny when underway.

The one until recently I was not as prompt on, was a safety harness, which I have finanally figured out how to rig on my boat to use as I mentioned earlier, last spring with some help and pictures from folks on here.

marty
Old 09-20-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
In Queensland, it is now mandatory to wear PFD's for kids or when crossing a bar. However, the Southport Seaway is apparently (technically) a seaway and therefore not a bar so this rule does not apply.

Our rule is; at night, when on watch (solo) or if someone is concerned due to weather or sea state. Then wear the gear!

When my son was younger, he had to wear his PFD at all times when up on deck/ cockpit etc. At 5 yo, he saw the hypocrisy of him being the only one wearing a PFD - so we all wore one- practice what we preached to him.

We harness short and double so you shouldnt be able to fall over the side and can move from one harness point to another. I dont like jack stays as you will have a long sweep if you are swept off your feet.

I still have to modify the boat as I am not happy yet with anchor & hold points. I probably will never satisfied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I sail on The Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. PFDs are REQUIRED for all children when on board and not below deck. My 2 granddaughters have their own and don't mind wearing them. I have a Mustang Auto inflatable with harness and wear it ALL the time I am alone on board (out sailing or just moving the boat across the river). I do not wear it while just sailing with friends.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Maryland Law ...

On April 1, 2006 a new Maryland law governing personal flotation devices (PFDs) for children goes into effect. Under the new law, if a child is less than 4 years of age or weighs under 50 pounds, the child must wear a PFD with specific additional safety features including: a strap that is secured between the child’s legs to fasten together the front and back of the PFD; an inflatable headrest or high collar to keep the child’s head above water; and a web handle to ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the vessel. Read more..

Effective June 1, 2001, all children under the age of 7 must WEAR a United States Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Device (Life Jacket - Type I, II, III or V) while underway on a recreational vessel under 21 feet in length on Maryland waters. Recreational vessel includes motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and any other device capable of being used for transportation on the water, when the vessel is being used for other than commercial purposes.

The Life Jacket must be the proper size for the child and must be in good and serviceable condition.
This requirement does not apply when:
  • A vessel is moored or anchored.
  • A child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.
Life Jacket Requirements: NOTICE TO BOATERS

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 09-22-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftJazz View Post
Most of my sailing is racing, & our rules require all persons on board to wear a PFD. The last couple of years, I wore a vest, but now am looking for an inflatable. The vest is a PITA when you're railmeat & constantly going under the boom.

When out for a day sail, sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't. When racing, I wear my team shirt, but when out for a cruise, I like to wear bright orange or hot pink or something really highly visible as well. If I go overboard, I want to be seen.

New York State has some kind of requirement regarding life vests for all on board certain boats during colder weather that I read about recently, but offhand I don't recall what it is.
Hey Soft - welcome to SN dude. Your sig is hilarious.

As for the answer to the OP - since our lake is very sheltered, we adults rarely wear PFDs. The kids wear them any time they are out of the cabin.

But just today, I made a dumb decision. It was only blowing 10-12. Pretty mellow conditions. I was going to go forward to unpack the genny. I grabbed a vest, but then thought, "Ahh - I'll be fine." Threw it back into the cockpit and went forward.

Sure enough - I was fine. BUT I still should have worn the vest on the deck. I mean really. It's always when you think everything will be fine that an overweight goose falls out of the sky, beans you on the head, and knocks you overboard. Trust me. I know.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-20-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hey smacker
- see, there really is a god!

Old 09-20-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
Always wear it while underway.
Old 09-20-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Hey smacker
- see, there really is a god!
Heh-heh, and He hates geese.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-20-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Always when off the hook

The boat rule is: Lifejackets are mandatory when off the hook anytime you are in the cockpit or on deck. Doesn't matter if it total glass and no wind or 100 deg F. We have automatic inflatables for all our guests and none of them has ever complained about wearing them. When I go out alone, I wear a auto-PFD and tether.

The water here is cold; never really getting above 70, and most of the time it is the low 60's and less. In the event a person goes over, I am more concerned with them getting cold and not being able to move, hence the PFD to keep them afloat. Also, if they are hurt or unconscious and can't keep a float, the PFD will.

Since I am in charge of their safety aboard, a PFD is a inexpensive piece of equipment that reduces the potential of for a fatal incident.

DrB