Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
As a re-entry sailor I'm re-thinking my old, bad habits. One of them was never wearing a PFD unless the weather was really rough. 'Corse we didn't have self inflating PFD's and what we had wasn't too comfortable. Now, much of my sailing will be solo and I think a good PFD and teather system will be my next boat purchase. Most of my sailing will be in the Gulf of Mexico.

My previous boat (Westerly Padgent 23) was easy to board from the water. The top of the rudder was the first step and the stern rail was an easy reach; no one ever had trouble boarding from the water. We frequently "trolled" on calm days. The big problem I see on my present boat is it's just about impossible to get back on board. The boarding ladder hooks to the side of the hull, not the stern.

I need to figure out a way to get back on.

DB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
As a re-entry sailor I'm re-thinking my old, bad habits. One of them was never wearing a PFD unless the weather was really rough. 'Corse we didn't have self inflating PFD's and what we had wasn't too comfortable. Now, much of my sailing will be solo and I think a good PFD and teather system will be my next boat purchase. Most of my sailing will be in the Gulf of Mexico.

My previous boat (Westerly Padgent 23) was easy to board from the water. The top of the rudder was the first step and the stern rail was an easy reach; no one ever had trouble boarding from the water. We frequently "trolled" on calm days. The big problem I see on my present boat is it's just about impossible to get back on board. The boarding ladder hooks to the side of the hull, not the stern.

I need to figure out a way to get back on.

DB
Boats that have lines like yours (and she is very pretty; what is she?) can have a folding ladder added to the stern pulpit. The ladder can fold completely off the transom so as to not ruin the look. A cheaper alternative is to use your toe rail and tie a line with one end at about the most forward portion of the cockpit, and the other end back near the transom. Make it long enough so that it loops into the water about a foot deep. I know, it doesn't look very salty to be trailing lines while sailing, but that loop in the water could be a very cheap and effective emergency boarding ladder for boats with a low freeboard. The dockline in the picture you posted shows kind of what it would look like.
Old 09-21-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
(and she is very pretty; what is she?)
Thanks, She's a Morgan Tiger Cub. She's been named "Tiger Cub" as well since new ....... I'm reluctant to change at this point. Only 8 or 10 were made (Charlie's not sure.) She's in reasonably good shape for a 44 year old boat but ya know there's alway's gonna be something to work on!

Morgan Models

I like you're idea with the line (BTW the dock line is proper now) as a temp fix until a permanent solution.

DB
Old 09-21-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
When we were equipping Enchantress three years ago, we bought Mustang. offshore auto-inflatable vests with harness for ourselves and regular auto-inflatables for our guests. We always put them on beforer we leavethe dock and we ask our guests to wear them but don't insist.
On my previous boats, when we went off shore we wore Lyracis (sp?) harnesses and used 3-point tethers so we were always attached to the boat. We did not wearlifejackets as they were uncomfortable and hampered movement. Not sure what I would do now as our inflatables are confortable and don't get in the way. On the other hand the Lyracis harness is one of the strongest and most durable made, not sure how the built in harness of my inflatable compares
Old 09-21-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

My sailing area is the Long Island Sound. Home port is Mt. Sinai. I am never more than 10 miles from shore, and, usually I am closer than 5 miles to shore. There is a fair amount of boat traffic. Not too much that it is stressful, but enough so that if something happened, there would be other boats around to hear / see. I usually day sail in fair weather.

For those reasons, I do not usually wear a PFD. If I am single handling, sailing at night, or sailing in high winds or bad weather, I will wear one. Otherwise, we have a few boat cushions in the cockpit, and PFD's close by.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2009
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
99.9% of the time when not below, I and my family wear our life preservers. Once in a great while, if it is glass and hot, I will take mine off and let anyone else take theirs off if they are sitting completely in the cockpit (My boat is a center-cockpit boat). However, if anyone is outside of the cockpit, they have the preserver on. I leave it up to adult guests to do what they wish (I overrule if the weather or traffic becomes too much) but we insist children of guests wear them.

If we are in our dinghy just motoring around the marina at idle speed, we don't have to wear them. If we decide to take the dinghy out on Lake Michigan, we all wear them and I attach the kill lanyard to the vest.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 09-21-2009

surftom is on a distinguished road
All the time on the water - make the kids wear them on the dock too - even though they can swim.
Old 09-21-2009
Self Grandizing Egotist

SeanRW is on a distinguished road
My rules which I am adamant about others following though occasionally I stray. We use the Mustang auto-inflating vests with the harness (2 onboard) and the auto-inflating vests (6 onboard). Whistles attached to all the vests. Jacklines strung forward (actually, the flat webbing stuff movers use with carabiners securing either end)

When the boat's underway I try to keep to the following guidelines. When anchored or just "driftin" then common sense applies. With the kids or our elders (who I occasionally treat like kids) there is the occasional mumbled prayer that a wave would wash them overboard but then I'd have to explain to the police why I was having a few celebratory cocktails before conducting a search

Good Weather
- No vests in cockpit (except kids) but common sense applies to all
- No vests going forward (except kids) but common sense applies to adults only

Bad Weather
- Vests & Tethers in cockpit (tethers sometimes don't get hooked but.....)
- Vests & Tethers when going forward (no exceptions including me)

Night and/or alone
- Vests & Tethers in cockpit
- Vests & Tethers going forward

One thing I do agree with is that it helps the crew / passengers get into the habit if they watch you put on your vest. Lead by example was taught to me in the Army and hey, it works.

"There's always time later on for suntanning without the vest in the way. Lets just get there first......."
Old 09-21-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
So far we have only sailed our 39' boat on Puget Sound. The rule on boat is... if we need to reef everyone wears one. We are thinking of changing that to everyone all the time, but when its sunny and 80 degrees with 6 knots of breeze and half foot wind waves it seems a bit silly.

When we drop sail near the marina, we are near ferry, freighter, tug traffic and their wakes. If someone goes forward to adjust the lazy jacks they wear an inflatable pfd with harness rings, with tether available if they desire.

No body has brought up the scary subject, what if the inflatable doesn't inflate? A lot of faith seems to be put in these devices, myself included. Yet there is a poster here who won't allow them on his race boat for having seen them not inflate. Just a thought.

michael
Old 09-21-2009

Coldwater is on a distinguished road
I got so used to wearing a PFD while river and sea kayaking, that I feel naked without it. I sail a small 22' racing boat with a low freeboard in fairly cold water, so a PFD seems wise. Plus, it is a nice layer of insulation in cold wind. On hot days I just dunk once in a while.