SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Delivery Testemonial (or 'How I spent my Summer Vacation')

11K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  Yamsailor 
#1 ·
To whom it may concern,

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: I would heartily recommend Jesse Osborne to ANYONE needing an absolutely reliable, trustworthy and rock solid delivery skipper. However, Jesse’s real strength is in his ability to pass along his knowledge, experience and spirit in helping folks realize their capability to experience their own “taste of adventure”.

By way of background, my wife and I recently purchased a used sailboat in Olympia, Washington and were in the process of having her delivered to Seward, Alaska when our first delivery skipper quit on us after getting the boat as far as Juneau, Alaska. His unexpected departure left us in quite a predicament. We needed to complete the delivery over the final and most difficult leg of her journey (across the Gulf of Alaska). Crossing the Gulf represents over 400 miles of open ocean, known for quickly changing weather and notoriously dangerous, rough conditions. In short, we needed to hire a new delivery skipper and he needed to be a good one!

In August of 2009 we were corresponding with Deborah Altermatt of Sailing Inc. (a yacht brokerage in Seward Alaska) about our situation. Happily, she put us in contact with Mr. Jesse Osborne, operating under the trade name of “A Taste of Adventure”. At the time, Jesse was in the process of moving his own sailboat from Ketchikan to Seward but he took the time to call us and discuss our situation.

After meeting with Jesse we were very impressed with him and agreed to have him deliver our ‘baby’ from Juneau to Seward. However, Jesse’s goal is to be more than simply a delivery skipper. He agreed to take us along to assist him with the delivery. He insisted that our relationship for the crossing would not be as skipper and crew, but that we would partner in the preparation for and execution of the crossing. It turned out that, under Jesse’s mentorship, the trip from Juneau to Seward evolved from a mere logistical exercise into a true sailing adventure for both my wife and I. We learned more about cruising under sail, the particular systems on our boat, and ourselves than we ever imagined possible.

I absolutely cannot overstate the satisfaction we had working with Jesse as he quickly assessed the condition of our vessel and our level of experience, initiated on-board repairs, advised us on provisioning and generally readied both the vessel and us for the trip across the Gulf. Jesse demonstrated a depth of knowledge and experience that he willingly shared with us during our time together. His unsinkable sense of humor, self confidence and genuine spirit of adventure carried us through two arctic gales, mechanical issues, and our first exposure to standing watch 24 hours a day on an extended cruise.

Jesse Osborne is one of the most remarkable young men I’ve ever met and our adventure this Summer will remain a highlight of my sailing experiences .

Sincerely,

David Allen owner S/V Polaris

See less See more
#2 ·
So, you kind of liked this guy then? ;)

But, wow, that is a wonderful recommendation, and it sounds like you had the perfect indoctrination into your boat!

#4 ·
Crossing

Valiente,

Polaris is a 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch with fairly new sails, roller furling jib and a westerbeke 4-108 auxilliary engine.

The weather was cool and wet for most of the trip with winds favorable for sailing (or motor sailing) during most of the open water crossing. We even had one day (well, most of the day) of sunny weather! The Gale that forced us to lay over in Elfin Cove had winds at 45+ with very confused 15-20 foot seas. Kind of scary stuff (for me, anyway). Forcasts were accurate out to about 4 days, which is about the length of most of the weather windows here-bouts. When we left Elfin Cove for the actual crossing the winds were down to about 15-20kts but the seas were still up. By the evening, however, things had pretty much settled down. On our last night we were sailing (no motor) just South of Montegue Is when we got caught by another gale that spanked us into Resurection Bay. We didn't take the sail down until we were in the lee of Fox Island and motored the rest of the way into Seward.

The most challenging thing (for me at least) was actually getting to sleep when it was your turn. Second to that was maintaining your concentration to stay on course towards the end of your watch. I had never helmed a boat at night strictly by the compass before. THAT was a challenge too!

We ran 4 hours at the helm, 4 hours sleep and 4 hours at the ready (dressed and available to assist the helmsman if needed but not actually helming the boat).

I wouldn't trade our experience for all the tea in China!

V/R

Dave Allen

#5 ·
I believe this is the Jesse Osborne who left Alaska State Troopers with a reputation for brutality - leaving a trail of death and misery behind him. He is known for killing a cripple in a highway turnout in Alaska. He is also know for smashing a handcuffed woman's face until she was unrecognizable. Check the internet under Osborn (not Osborne). The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals has just ruled that Osborn can be sued for killing the cripple (Casey Porter) - the act "shocks the conscience." Osborn is a major embarrassment to the Alaska State Troopers. It is irresponsible to recommend that people hire Jesse Osborn. The man has left a trail of disfigurement, brutality, and death behind him. It is irresponsible to suggest that people should hire him, and be alone with him on the high seas. Alaska citizens are outraged that Jesse Osborn is not in prison for murder. Do you really recommend that people really be alone with this guy on the high seas. That is a very dangerous thing to do. It won't take you long to verify this on the internet. (search criteria - Jesse Osborn, Casey Porter, Joseph Wittom, Alaska State Trooper."

#6 ·
What is Dave6330 up to in recommending Jesse Osborn?

One has to wonder what Dave6330 is up to in recommending that people be alone and at the mercy of Jesse Osborn. Living in Peter's Creek Alaska, Dave6330 certainly knows of Osborn's history. Stories about Osborn are all over the Anchorage and Fairbanks newspapers. Echoes of Osborn's brutality still echo in the Alaska and Washington courts, even 7 years after killing Casey Porter, a Kenai parapalegic. It isn't as if Dave6330 doesn't know about Osborn's notoriety. Be careful of these guys. One wonders what they might be cooking up. Osborn is one of the most notorious people in the state of Alaska. One has to wonder why Dave6330 is chummed up with him. I'd give these 2 guys a wide berth if I were you.

#8 ·
This is a good read, but is it the same person? There is a man with my same name who beat up a couple in a Maryland marina years after I left the Chesapeake and another who is a State Supreme Court justice in a state that I have not been to. Neither are me. No one has accused me of being the judge, but I have been asked about being the other. If I were Osborn[e] , and still residing in Alaska, I would be maintaining a very low key existance. I would want to be sure about who I was posting about before putting potentially erroneous info out on the web. P.S. Smackdaddy, wasn't that your photo I saw in the postoffice ? I see you're wearing the same ankle bracelet!

#10 ·
What's This?

What's this? The forum of long knives?
I would be very careful not to bad mouth an innocent person who happens to have the same name as a knave, for fear of doing an injustice, and of being hauled in to court.

Let us remember that the whole purpose is to have fun, and learn something positive, IMHO.

Dick

#11 ·
Dave, you bought a great boat. My best friend bought a new Pearson 365 at the '79 In The Water Boat Show in Seabrook TX. For over 25 years, when we wern't sailing somewhere in Paloma, we sailed that Pearson all over the Gulf of Mexico; The Regata de Amigos, Galveston to Brownsville, Galveston to Isla Mujeres and in some horrible weather here and there. Solid boat you can take anywhere you're crazy enough to go.

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Dave6330 - do you have any relationship or other experience with Jesse or his company? Is your post solely based on your experience, or do you have other interests? Full disclosure please.

#15 ·
Well it looks like Jesse gets into the news quite often. Here's a story about hunting a bear in someone's yard. And he seems quite content to split hairs about what's legal and what's not.

GOOD BEAR HUNTING WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS | Seward City News

As smack said, this thread is getting more interesting all the time.

#17 ·
Dave6330 mobbed up with Osborn - what's going on

Well, here's a cross reference for you. There's a Dave6330 posting in support of Osborn in an Anchorage Daily News blog about the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals finding against Osborn. (Jury should hear trooper shooting case, judge says: Top Stories | adn.com. This is the same name he uses to post glowing recommendations about Osborn in this blog. In case the ADN link changes, this was in the comments section from the Dec. 30, 2009 article about Osborn in the Anchorage Daily News. This indicates Dave6330 knows full well about Osborn's background. Evidently Dave6330 posts under that ID both in the sailnet.com blogs and also in Anchorage Daily News blogs. Here's another cross reference. Dave6330 mentions that the name of Osborn's business is "A Taste of Adventure." Go to the website Alaska Yacht Guide - A Taste of Adventure. That's the website of the ex-Trooper Osborn. Here's another one for you. Evidently Osborn created quite a stir hunting and wounding a bear in a residential neighborhood in Seward. GOOD BEAR HUNTING WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS | Seward City News. I cross checked and I was quite careful when I posted that info. I think it is quite responsible to warn people of potential danger. I would wonder about Osborn, and I would worry about his buddy (Dave6330). I don't know who Dave6330 is, but these two guys could be a dangerous duo. Read what the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals has to say in December 2009 about Osborn's actions (especially pages 14598 and 14599) http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2008/10/20/0735974.pdf Are these really people you want to recommend being in close quarter with - by yourself - on the high seas? Is that responsible? One has to wonder what is going on here. What are Dave6330's motives. Why didn't Dave6330 tell the whole story? It could be a setup. I would be very cautious here. The allegation was made I should be mindful about this not being the correct Osborn. However, I think it is - and I would recommend that you be careful too.

#20 ·
Well, here's some cross references for you. There's a Dave6330 posting in support of Osborn in an Anchorage Daily News blog about the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals finding against Osborn. (Jury should hear trooper shooting case, judge says: Top Stories | adn.com. Dave6330 is the same username he uses here. In case the ADN link changes, this was in the comments section from the Dec. 30, 2009 article about Osborn in the Anchorage Daily News. This indicates strongly to me that Dave6330 knows full well about Osborn's background. Evidently Dave6330 posts under that ID both in the sailnet.com blogs and also in Anchorage Daily News blogs. Here's another cross reference. Dave6330 mentions that the name of Osborn's business is "A Taste of Adventure." Go to the website Alaska Yacht Guide - A Taste of Adventure. That looks like ex-Trooper Osborn to me. Here's another one for you. Evidently Osborn created quite a stir hunting and wounding a bear in a residential neighborhood in Seward. GOOD BEAR HUNTING WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS | Seward City News. I cross checked and I was quite careful when I posted that info. I think it is quite responsible to warn people of potential danger. I would wonder about Osborn, and I would worry about his buddy (Dave6330). I don't know who Dave6330 is, but these two guys could be a dangerous duo. Read what the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals has to say in December 2009 about Osborn's actions (especially pages 14598 and 14599) http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2008/10/20/0735974.pdf
Are these really people you want to recommend being in close quarter with - by yourself - on the high seas? Is that responsible? One has to wonder what is going on here. What are Dave6330's motives. Why didn't Dave6330 tell the whole story? It could be a setup. I would be very cautious here. It seems a lot of people are trying to deny this, such as xsboats, and Billy654. Hmmm. What's their interest in protecting ex-Trooper Osborn? They don't say.

#21 · (Edited)
So verga - what's your part in all this? You seem to be familiar with these guys and have a personal beef with them. The photos do seem to show this JO as the same dude.

But what would the "setup" you're referring to be? Pirating a yacht?

PS - I don't see xs or billy as "protecting" anyone. They're just not willing to jump on your bandwagon. I can understand that.

#22 ·
Jesse Osborn (Osborne)

Smackdaddy - I've gone way out of my way to warn this group of Seward sailors of a danger in their midst. Troopers, Courts, Anchorage Judge Sedwick, and even the Federal 9th Circuit U.S. Court of appeals are going way out of their way to protect this guy - maybe because he was once a Trooper. You may have little recourse if he harms you. He has already murdered with impunity. I would not worry about him pirating your boat. That's not what trips Osborn's trigger. Osborn is a violence freak - and he wants to see you crawl and beg. He craves the fear in your eyes. I haven't filled you in on his sadistic behavior as a Trooper before he murdered the parapelegic. In one instance he smashed and broke up a woman's face until it was unrecognizable. She was handcuffed. Do not go out on a cruise with him with your wife. He may make you both crawl before it is over. Osborn is protected in the state of Alaska, and even to some extent in Federal Courts. I'm not sure why. You may have little recourse against him if you become his victim. You people are in danger here - and I have warned you. I have done more than my part - and what you do with this danger in your midst is up to you. You either have the "stones" to protect you and yours - or you don't. If you don't, I wish you well anyway.

#23 ·
OK--Guys,

While I do agree an innocent man should never be slandered, it is perfectly appropriate to disseminate truthful information that may save a life or prevent injury.

Does Osborn have a USCG License? If he does, he has to report any criminal convictions on his application. IF he doesn't then one shouldn't be using him anyway. The USCG can find out if this person is one in the same.

#24 ·
"Stones" - that sounds familiar. Okay, cool, thanks verga. I can see you've gone out of your way on this - and seem to know a hell of a lot about it.

Hopefully, if it is the same Osborn as you say, justice will be served...and your warnings will be heeded. Beyond that - some of your stuff sounds a little conspiracy-esque.

BTW - how do you know him personally? Just curious.

(PS - Good call Yam. That makes sense to me.)

#30 ·
As a professional mariner and retired river and mountaineering guide, I hate to see others in the profession that bring down the standard. We have enough skeptics about the ethics of those who work on and around boats and the waterfront. When I read of this guy and others such as the recent child abductor on a boat here in Florida , it concerns me. Each incident removes just a little more trust in those within our sailing community. I am glad to see accusations or insinuations backed up with some real documentation on this thread. It is good to be forewarned about such characters, but I also have to question the motives of both Dave6330 and Verga for their posts. Like SmackDaddy, I wonder what the connection is.It seems a little excessive to be told that we have been warned. Tager, are you suggesting that Billy Zane play Osborn in the upcoming movie that is sure to follow in the wake of all this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.