Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Am I a "Candy Ass" or what?

My plan today was to dive in and rub down the bottom of the boat. I was all set to do this today. We see a lot of sea life here; Manatee, Dolphin, many smaller fish, and at night we frequently hear large fish breaking the surface but no breathing, so they aren't all Dolphin.

Back to today. I'm usally the first one up and work in the office until our dog comes in. We always walk out onto the dock and check out the boat. I was startled by a large splash just in front of the boat and turned my head just in time to see the unmistakable profile of a shark's dorsal fin slicing through the water. I'd say it was 3 to 4 feet long, not a man-eater but possible man-biter. I started re-thinking chuming the water today.

We did see 4 or 5 Dolphin's come through a few hours later. I've always believed Dolphin's are a good sign that Shark's aren't around.

I've been working on the boat this morning and have heard several large splashes ............ but no other sightings.

It's after 2, I don't think I'm gonna get to the bottom today.

Offical Candy Ass, or what?

DB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
There's a reason you are at the top of the food chain. Not being bait is one of the best of those reasons.

My vote: smart ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-26-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Yep, it's official. Have beer as well.
Old 09-26-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Good point monkey. See Dirt? Shark's don't even have beer. Man has evolution been good to us or what?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-26-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I'd still do it as long as I could get my a**hole brother-in-law to "help" me down in the water. He doesn't swim as fast as me.
Old 09-26-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The only reason I think BILs are good for... But then you would have to take him sailing and your luck would be; that even though he knows nothing about sailing, he will try to tell you how to sail, criticise your skills and your boat... About that time you will start chumming the waters as you conduct a BIL over board exercise.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 09-26-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
yeah, I think I would want to know who I'm swimming with but, I have a feeling what you are seeing and hearing are possibly small blacktip or blacknose going after the macks and such.

Most sharks are like dogs, some will let you touch them and then go away, some will let you touch them then bite the sh*t out of ya, some ( few ) you want to avoid altogether

My son went diving yesterday off La Jolla and spent 20 mins swimming with around 30 2-4 ft leopards, said it was one of the best dives he's had

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 09-26-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My vote: smart ass.
Uhhhh. Thanks ....... I think.

Quote:
yeah, I think I would want to know who I'm swimming with but, I have a feeling what you are seeing and hearing are possibly small blacktip or blacknose going after the macks and such.
Well, I know that I don't know so I figured I'd just play it safe. I realize that our Florida waters are full of Sharks, it's just you don't often see them. This is the first one I've ever seen in our inlet.

Quote:
Good point monkey. See Dirt? Shark's don't even have beer. Man has evolution been good to us or what?
Yes, it's good to be King. I'm gonna have one right now.

DB
Old 09-26-2009

Greenflash35 is on a distinguished road
If I was a Great White Shark i wouldn't bite you, but I'd swim right next to you.
Old 09-26-2009

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
You're smart not to swim when there are lots of sharks around, even little ones. It's true that you aren't natural shark chow but the fish might mistake your hand/foot/etc for a fish and by the time he bites, shakes, and spits you out you could lose something you'll need later.

If it were me, I'd either wait until whatever brought your friends in goes somewhere else or haul and PW the hull.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat" -Chief Brody-