Am I a "Candy Ass" or what? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-26-2009 Thread Starter

Am I a "Candy Ass" or what?

My plan today was to dive in and rub down the bottom of the boat. I was all set to do this today. We see a lot of sea life here; Manatee, Dolphin, many smaller fish, and at night we frequently hear large fish breaking the surface but no breathing, so they aren't all Dolphin.

Back to today. I'm usally the first one up and work in the office until our dog comes in. We always walk out onto the dock and check out the boat. I was startled by a large splash just in front of the boat and turned my head just in time to see the unmistakable profile of a shark's dorsal fin slicing through the water. I'd say it was 3 to 4 feet long, not a man-eater but possible man-biter. I started re-thinking chuming the water today.

We did see 4 or 5 Dolphin's come through a few hours later. I've always believed Dolphin's are a good sign that Shark's aren't around.

I've been working on the boat this morning and have heard several large splashes ............ but no other sightings.

It's after 2, I don't think I'm gonna get to the bottom today.

Offical Candy Ass, or what?

DB
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-26-2009
Last Man Standing

There's a reason you are at the top of the food chain. Not being bait is one of the best of those reasons.

My vote: smart ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #3 of 21 Old 09-26-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

Yep, it's official. Have beer as well.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-26-2009
Last Man Standing

Good point monkey. See Dirt? Shark's don't even have beer. Man has evolution been good to us or what?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #5 of 21 Old 09-26-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

I'd still do it as long as I could get my a**hole brother-in-law to "help" me down in the water. He doesn't swim as fast as me.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-26-2009

The only reason I think BILs are good for... But then you would have to take him sailing and your luck would be; that even though he knows nothing about sailing, he will try to tell you how to sail, criticise your skills and your boat... About that time you will start chumming the waters as you conduct a BIL over board exercise.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
post #7 of 21 Old 09-26-2009

yeah, I think I would want to know who I'm swimming with but, I have a feeling what you are seeing and hearing are possibly small blacktip or blacknose going after the macks and such.

Most sharks are like dogs, some will let you touch them and then go away, some will let you touch them then bite the sh*t out of ya, some ( few ) you want to avoid altogether

My son went diving yesterday off La Jolla and spent 20 mins swimming with around 30 2-4 ft leopards, said it was one of the best dives he's had

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
post #8 of 21 Old 09-26-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
My vote: smart ass.
Uhhhh. Thanks ....... I think.

Quote:
yeah, I think I would want to know who I'm swimming with but, I have a feeling what you are seeing and hearing are possibly small blacktip or blacknose going after the macks and such.
Well, I know that I don't know so I figured I'd just play it safe. I realize that our Florida waters are full of Sharks, it's just you don't often see them. This is the first one I've ever seen in our inlet.

Quote:
Good point monkey. See Dirt? Shark's don't even have beer. Man has evolution been good to us or what?
Yes, it's good to be King. I'm gonna have one right now.

DB
post #9 of 21 Old 09-26-2009

If I was a Great White Shark i wouldn't bite you, but I'd swim right next to you.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-26-2009

You're smart not to swim when there are lots of sharks around, even little ones. It's true that you aren't natural shark chow but the fish might mistake your hand/foot/etc for a fish and by the time he bites, shakes, and spits you out you could lose something you'll need later.

If it were me, I'd either wait until whatever brought your friends in goes somewhere else or haul and PW the hull.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat" -Chief Brody-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.