Your chance to tell me where to go - departing Montauk - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Brad,
I am still thinking that the overnight sail to NY Harbor along the Atlantic Coast of LI will be your biggest bang for the buck, envelope pusher that you could hope for if you really want to sail to Bermuda someday soon.
Getting one overnight sail on the Atlantic is just a taste of what it could be like for the 3+ days it could take to get to Bermuda, hopefully with good winds and weather. Doing a night watch on the ocean is different then sailing up the LI Sound during the day light hours. The phase of the moon becomes more important at night.
If you need some help getting some of the systems working (heads, steering quadrant, etc) prior to this trip then PM me.
Stay away from the Painkiller in all it's forms as it contains no rum.
Hope you are well.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2009

Mauryd is on a distinguished road
You have some awesome options man. I live in Michigan. I sail on the great Lakes. While some of the sailing grounds are gorgeous they are nothing like the storied sailing grounds that you are throwing around here. What I wouldn't give......

So in short, to me, you could take a map of your area, blind fold yourself, and throw a dart (assuming you hit the map, lol) and have an awesome vaca sail of a lifetime. I am green with envy.

Mauryd
Old 10-02-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I know nothing of your area, but I have to agree with CalebD. Do an overnighter before it gets cold. The ocean at night is hard to beat, and is my preference in sailing. Where ever, and what ever you do be safe, and have fun......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-12-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Close to departure:

Yesterday evening while getting our boat ready, the wind was gusting 30 or so. I spent the time at anchor doing 2 things. First, I got my harness all fitted tightly over my favorite life vest (think of a "fat suit" and you'll get pretty close) and ran a jackline from the top of the windlass, back between the port mast pulpit and the mast, back between the dodger and the port side dorade protector, and then diagonally across the cockpit to just behind the starboard wheel. I made a tether using the snap shackles from the davits and a piece of 1/2 double braid. I made it very short (4 feet), since if I go over, I want to be able to climb back onboard. Our deck is about 5 feet off the water. The short tether and the jackline running inboard of hard points will work better than having everything loose, I think. Then I did this next part while snapped-in with my "fat suit" lifejacket on, to get used to it all.

Second, I put the 1st reef in and then the 2nd reef in. I used a sharpie (indellible marker) to mark where on the main halyard was for each reef, and where each reefing line ended up. I intend to use those marks more as a guide, since things may go differently when actually sailing.

Our boat tacked so much in the wind, and I was on the secondary anchor, so I worried about chafe. I added chafing protection and was still uncomfortable with the tacking. I saw where some previous chafing had worked through my chafing protection. So I waited until she was headed to starboard and then with starboard rudder, pulled way up (under engine power) and quickly dropped the CQR on all chain rode. Put out 60' of chain and no more swinging. (This last part was without the tether, since I'm at anchor and with the ladder down in a lake with no appreciable current. And I needed to move fast.) Then down below for some dinner -- soup, cheese on bread and a beer. The propane ran out 1/4 of the way into frying potatoes in butter. I didn't switch tanks in the cold/wind and dark, not when there was plenty else to eat.

Up at 4 am, let out a few inches of line on the Bruce. Chafe protection was not worn at all. Fried hash browns for breakfast with orange juice. OJ was good for the slight sore throat I picked up in the wind yesterday. Light winds now. Going to rest a bit and then do a work call at 9:00. (I know, I know.) Current at Plum Gut is at ebb a little before noon and I could ride the current up the sound from then, so no rush, if that's where I'm going.

Where am I going? My son has a football game Tuesday afternoon, that I really want to see. It's on Long Island, 100 miles (as the crow flies) from me now. Ideally, I'd sail to Port Jefferson by Tuesday at noon, catch a ride somehow to the game, and then sail for a few days after that, ending up in Glen Cove. I have the green light to sail for as ling as I like. For once, there's nothing going on that requires my being at home - a rare event.

I'm solo for now. I think I wanted to do at least part of this week solo, and didn't really pursue getting crew because of that. With crew I'd leave now, but without crew I want to be a bit more rested before starting. (And since my "home" laptop died, I don't really have anyone's phone numbers.)

If anyone wants to chat, my cell phone number is 646 - 46three - 442five. Don't call before 10:15 AM today (2 hours from now) since I need to rest-up and then do the work call.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-12-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Brad, sounds like a great trip. Envious. I understand your need to go solo - its like the 'at one with...' stuff.

You are obviously comfortable with 2 anchors down and you need to be able to sleep.

I prefer inflatable pfd's with integrated harness as the aim of the game is comfort. I like 2 tethers to walk up to the mast or the bow. One on the jackyard, the short one onto something solid.

Anyway - keep the post going as its great to hear of the trip. Interesting to hear how people do things - same but a little different.

David

Old 10-12-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Brad, sounds like a great trip. Envious. I understand your need to go solo - its like the 'at one with...' stuff.

You are obviously comfortable with 2 anchors down and you need to be able to sleep.

I prefer inflatable pfd's with integrated harness as the aim of the game is comfort. I like 2 tethers to walk up to the mast or the bow. One on the jackyard, the short one onto something solid.

Anyway - keep the post going as its great to hear of the trip. Interesting to hear how people do things - same but a little different.

David
St Anna,

Nice avatar!

I'm not expecting an wave that will tumble the boat, or even wash over the deck, so I guess that's why the different tethering style. I'm wreally worrried about slipping and watching the boat sail away. (Real reason, never saw anyone do it before, figured it was the way to do it.)

By the way, I pocketed a handheld waterproof VHF. That would help too, I figure.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-12-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bene - I'm honestly amazed that you can solo a 505. That right there is some skill. Very cool.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-12-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Thanks Smack. Looks like I'm getting one of the "big guns" to go with me tomorow in the SCA that's brewing (actually tomorrow afternoon). DavidPM is going on the Westbrook, CT to Port Jefferson leg of this odyssey.

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-12-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Give my best regards to the DM3000! I hope that unit can take some much needed pictures of you in your 'fat suit'.
Tie up securely in Port Jeff and enjoy Lucas' game. You might consider paying to tie up there this time by the ferry.
I wish I could join you on Weds. but I gotta' sign a contract w/lawyer to sell my mom's house at 1500 hrs so I can't be there early. I might be able to swing a Thursday AM departure though.
Kudos on getting from MTK to Westport, CT solo though.

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 10-12-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-12-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Keep us posted, dude.

Hey, did Bubb ever give you that bottle of very expensive rum I left with him to give to you? I had forgotten to bring it when I emptied your stores on that fateful night. So I gave it to him the next day.

Heh-heh, this will be interesting.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40