Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
How big is a bluewater boat?

Bigger than a breadbox, but not by much.
Or this one:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2009

Capt.Fred is on a distinguished road
Dear Thesnort, I like your style, I rest my case. Thank you,
Capt.Fred,

Addenda: I again stress that a blue water sailor would not take a non sea worthy boat to sea. However, here's a true fable; A little kid carefully removed the handle off a tiny plastic spoon. He then inserted the sharpened stub of the handle just slightly forward (toward the narrow end) of mid center into his dad's wine bottle cork. He then inserted lengthwise a single edge SS razor into the opposite side of the cork. He made sure the razor had that slight rake and the spoon's convex side pointed toward the narrow end of the cork. He dipped the whole sea worthy boat into his dad's bottom paint. Let it dry, christened it Cheap Red and set it off to sea from a beautiful white sandy beach on Gulf Coast of Alabama. On its journey with the current and storms it washed ashore a few time, but changing winds set it off again with no reported damage. Cheap Red was last noted by a megatanker flexing and taking on water off the South East side of the Cape Of good Hope. We shall hear further about Cheap Red. It just goes to show you that some boats are even stronger than their crew. but are aimless without a crew.
Toodle doo.

Last edited by Capt.Fred; 10-16-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added a thought
Old 10-17-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleeboy View Post
My understanding was that one of the deciding factors in Skip's decision to abandon the boat was that he was in a position to be rescued. If he had continued on the conditions for his rescuers may have deteriorated to the point where their safety would have been in jeopardy. I believe I read this here on sailnet.
Yes, in fact the USCG would not come out to rescue due to weather conditions and they had their hands full with coastal pleasure boaters in distress. The cargo ship that picked him up was traveling south to Los Angeles and it was either go aboard the ship or wave as it went by; with the weather deteriorating further than the existing 30-40' seas. He had one chance to board the ship and he was lucky to have made it aboard from the way the story sounded. The safety of the crew who helped him board were in jeapordy; and they did an amazing job given that they are not trained for that type of rescue operation.

I wonder how many of those sub 4' boats have actually made it across the pond. How many were never heard from again? I mean if you can only take on 3 buckets of water, then *ploop* the boat sinks; what then??!! No liferaft? Do they at least carry a belly-boat and fins in case the "mother ship" goes down??!!
Old 10-17-2009

Capt.Fred is on a distinguished road
People, please free your minds from the box. Please try! A 4' tub might be a carbon fiber surplus gun turret from an Israeli tank turned upside down, fitted with some ballast, a carbon fibre stick and a SS rudder. there isn't a coral reef or a bullet for that matter that could bother him. Iv'e seen the likes of those little boat contraptions. sitting in a volcanic hot spring up the Rio Dulce, Guatemala. The Cap'n was stringing his guitar to a fair damsel singing his tune. Ain't no lie! Mr. KeelHaulin are you saying that even a lifeboat should have a lifeboat. Most full keel small sailboats are far stronger than any life boat or liferaft. They just need some modifications. I could go on forever, but it is probably pointless. Also as a newbie, maybe I should just learn, which I have already from sailnet and keep my experiences to myself. And folks don't let a day go by without doing some little thing toward your dream no matter how small or you will always be just a goingtobe.
Old 10-18-2009

nemier is on a distinguished road
Amen, Capt. Fred.
Old 10-18-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Just read a lot from people who've done long cuises. The Seven Seas Sailing Association is a great resource for that info. What's "blue water" seems to be getting bigger with time. 30 ft used to be the leinght marina planners used now it's closer to 40ft. Ted Brewer writes great comparisons of boats in Good Old Boat which bring out Sail area/displacement ratios, righting moment and the things that matter in boat performance
The market for racing performance has driven production to fin keels. Older approaches like the CCA rating resulted in full keels that were slower but were easier in a seaway. Just look at the Flicka.. a full keeled boat at 20ft LWL that's probablly more sea kindly than a finn keel at half again the leinght. Folkboats like Jester are famous for long voyages. A cutaway forefoot like my old Hallberg Rassey appear to be a good comprimise of a keel cruiser
I think that an an avenue worth exploring for a serious blue water cruiser are the boats built in Tiawan and marketed here. They're heavly built to cruising designs,
Old 10-18-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think most have missed part of the original question. "how big?" Assuming a sturdy hull, rig, and systems and a skipper that knows what he or she is doing how big is workable - certainly not the 4' boats pictured earlier. It depends what you want to take with you - air conditioning, washer/dryers, electric this and that require a certain size boat - and budget. My minimums are no conversion from sleeping to living like some put up with on a weekender, room to store everything in its place and keep it there, a good galley that works at sea not just tied to the dock, a reliable inboard diesel however small to enter harbor and generate a few amps for convenience, a chart table although this is less critical now than in the past, the ability to load supplies for the intended trip without ruining her sailing abilities which should be good and the ability to stand upright when putting my pants on. In my case 27'.
Brian
Old 10-18-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I have followed this thread, albeit not too closely . I think most people are saying that a safe,sturdy, fast and proven hull is the way to go.

I do know that you can get into some seas where you wish you were in a bigger boat, no matter what you are in. I have also met people who have cruised for years and never bumped into anything stronger than 20kn (or so they say) In the old days, there were many odd looking, home built things that went everywhere. Now, the salemen push the fantastic plastic things. Are they better?

However, it is great to see people wishing to cruise. It is an art and a lifestyle we have to keep alive for the next gen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2009
old bird

lapwing is on a distinguished road
Well, here is a link to an awesome blue water story for those with an interest in such things! Squantum Yacht Club Home Page - www.squantumyc.org
Yes-it's a Thunderbird......all 26 feet.....
Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
If this is okay with you then I think you have a blue water boat.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.