SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So... How big is a "blue water" boat?

11K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  johnshasteen 
#1 ·
Man, i have heard it all so far.. There is a guy i met who told be he sailed his 25' Hunter to Cuba! I think he figured out i though he was full of it so, he brought me a bunch of Pictures. Either he is REALLY good at photo chop or he did sail that thing from Houston to Cuba..
Any way while i dont think a 25' Hunter is "Blue water" what is?? WHY????

These are things i ponder while i look at these MASSIVE sail boats next to mine that seem to have been forgotten by their owners. I am always sad when i work on my boat because there are so many other " much nicer boats" around me that would and could be magnificent if some one just cared for them.
I believe every boat has a soul and the neglect just pains me.

Anyway..
How big and why? are we looking for a particular draft? Dead weight?
A wider beam?

Thanks to all of you for all your help and to put up with my stupid questions.. :)

#48 ·
Please note: a Blue Water Boat is big enough to carry all of your provisions and needs, while you are crossing one of the big ponds on this planet.
The above will only be on a small lake.

#49 ·
After two Force 10 storms (48 hours in the first and 36 hours in the second - both having winds 50-60, gusting higher and seas 28-30ft) and many lesser storms in Paloma, I'm comfortable with her 30 feet on deck size. A smaller boat would have been problematic and a much larger boat would have been too much to handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.