SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any Albin Nimbus 42 owners out there

32K views 102 replies 24 participants last post by  EWarner 
#1 ·
I hear jakmedic owns a 42 and am trying to get his email so I can correspond. Are there any other Nimbus owners in this community?

#5 ·
I love the boats layout. we are a live aboard family of three.
From the water you wouldnt think there is a aft cabin
just reinstalled engine (perkins 4108).
gave the engine room some well needed loving.

I emailed the fellow who designed them and he said they where drawn as cutters.
wondering if any are still rigged this way.

going to put a cutter stay in soon.

#6 ·
I don't think many of them ever made it to the US. Albin never was a major vendor here and the Nimbus was a top-dollar boat. I met one and was trying to figure out how to take it home when I noticed someone had cut out sections of the fiberglass ribs amidship, apparently to help the bilge drain better. Cut out, like with a chain saw.

I said, I don't think so. Anything can be repaired...but I don't need structural repairs and questions like "What kind of bozo cuts apart the ribs on a boat?!" Still, if one followed me home....<G>....Nice boat!

#7 ·
When we purchased our Oday we were slipped next to a Albin Nimbus 42 and our neighbors gave us a tour. I thought it was a very, very stout boat and probably sailed like a dream. I don't remember what the draft of the boat was, but remember they were having issues in the marina. They had been kicked out of the slip they'd been in for some time while someone had their boat out for an extensive refit. They were grounded at low tide while they were in the slip next to us, and I seem to remember the depth being around
6' at low tide in that slip.

#8 ·
They draw 5'10" normally. Bit deep for parts of the East Coast or Caribbean. Not fast enough off the wind for West Coast passagemakers. *shrug* Albin always designed its boats for the Baltic & North Seas -- point high, sail dry, survive full-speed collisions with granite rocks. Interior volume, headroom, ventilation, lighting, and BBQs got sacrificed, which is mebbe the reason only the Vega ever got much traction in the US ... and then only because Vegas are cheap and plentiful.

The Nimbus' companionway entry is said to be high on the cabin top, which is why the ladder is so steep. I see the teak decks are screwed down -- anyone heard of leaks with these boats? Still bemused, given the Nimbus has a long, lovely peninsula to the centerline, galley sink isn't THERE and the icebox in the corner. Does the outboard sink drain okay when heeled?

NIMBUS 42 (ALBIN) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

#10 ·
bill-
As Bob said, they were designed for rough cold waters. Compared to the typical US boat, the ventilation is poor, making them less desirable for island cruising. Of course that makes for a snug dry boat in cold waters, it is a tradeoff.
And there were never many imported into US waters. I fell in love with one in the 80's only to find the owner had taken a chain saw to one of the main ribs instead of adding a weep hole through it. Didn't even want to ask, passed.
Then there's the flush-deck design, also not popular in the US. But it allows for the main to come down to the deck, more lower sail area, if you aren't using a spray hood over the hatch.
Their reputation is as solid boats--but the design is defintely more "north seas" than typical US market. AFAIK the rep is for a solid boat, well designed and well built and if the price is right, and you're either not looking at hot humid climes, or planning to add AC...

#11 ·
Hi, Les and Diane here of San Francisco. We traveled 35,000 miles over 11 years in the warm climates of Mexico, Central and South America We were pleasantly surprised by the comfort the boat provided. During that time we shared many anchorages with all kinds of different boat. The climate below decks on our Albin 42 was no worse than those with many open port light on their cabins. During the last 4 years we added two opening ports lights aft of the stationary portlight that were provided. One in the galley and one in the aft head. Improved life while cooking and ....
All for now
Les

#13 ·
Teak Decks

The teak decks were fine in the cold climate of San Francisco, one year in Mexico did them in. We removed almost all the decks and only keep the area under the windlass just forward of the staysail. We replaced with Imron LPU with Awlgrip poly beads. Decks are now 9 years old and look great. One bennifit that we noticed was our ambient temperature inside the boat was 7 to 8 degrees cooler with the white LPU decks. The teaks decks absorbed more heat. We spent 2 summers in the Sea of Cortez, one with and one without. White is a much cooler color. Decks are cored with foam and we needed to fair the deck once we removed the teak.
Les

#16 · (Edited)
FWIW, the writer and sailor (or vice versa) John Kretschmer owns, or at least owned, one and he has as many offshore miles in different boats as just about anyone.

#18 ·
Congrats! Pictures, please! I'm interested to see what a nice one looks like... Mine's a little run down these days...
Thanks! I am not sure mine fits in to the "nice" category =) hull in nice, deck NEEDS work as half the teak was removed and mid project. Down below, coming from a 1970 irwin, she is like new to me, but I am more about sailing than perfection. PM me and we can trade Albin pics =)

#19 ·
Your boat was anchored out off Charleston for awhile. I met the guy who lived aboard with his family of four and went aboard a few times. I also had a boat ached out for awhile before moving into the marina. I was amazed at how much room was aboard and while I never sailed the boat I liked the rig. What are your plans? I think you got a pretty good deal, I followed the listing for awhile. Seemed like a good price

#22 ·
Sorry for a long after reply, really have to check my mail settings becauseI never get the notice that the thread updated. Anyhoo.
We went outside the whole way from Charleston to NYC and dropped the mast in the Catskils. Erie for 6 or so days and then Erie, Huron, Michigan home.

It really did not feel like we were hauling, but other than the canal we did 24/7 shifts with two people from lock 7 on.

I would love to show her off anytime just PM me. She was "fazzy" but now "Stockholm Syndrome"

#23 ·
Love the name. Can"t pm you have not posted enough yet but let me work on that and I'll fill you in. What yard are you staying at? Didn't think you could run at night on canal. If you ever head south via river system contact me as I've done that 6 times( Love that trip ) even though I'm a sailor.

#25 ·
well lets see if there's an angle to all this. 6' of draft works on river, I've taken a 43' pilothouse down with just over six. limits your chioces some but not to bad. just leave late sept, not mid oct. as will be at a "winter pool" stage down south. I'm at jacksboatworks (note spelling, lack of grammer) thats a kind of ya hoo kind of thing if you catch my drift. I'm guessing your boat tracks well. Big question is what do you think of her in the light stuff? This is coming from a racer mind you.

#27 ·
Something to think about, I guess I always figured the rivers were off limits.
So the boat. I think it tracks well. Mine could use a main refresh, but I felt she moved pretty well in a lite blow. I had a 38 irwin that was super light and under built that moved in a bug fart. The albin is not that, but she is VERY sturdy and really leaves me feeling safe and sure without being tub. The stringers and other smart design items really make it much stronger per pound than may boats. The surveyor said that the furniture could all be removed and the boat would still be as strong. I really feel, for the money they seem to go for, they are one of the best deals around for quality, performance, and space.

#28 ·
Was hoping to get in contact direct, and come up and see boat soon (week or two). As for river channel depth is 13', dockside at most marinas with diesel is 6 something hence the need to plan days careful. sometimes wind up stopping at 3pm. night travel really bad idea but at some point you wind up out for a couple of hours witch is really trying on the nerves! look my previous post about ya hoo, thanks

#30 ·
My understanding is that it is not "foam" but a curly plastic material more like a coarse version of a Scotchbrite pad. It is not a foam rubber or anything like that, and should not degrade when wet, as the water will simply run through it. I haven't been into one to see what it actually is, but heard it repeatedly in reviews, etc.

#31 ·
Sounds like those "breather" pads for under berth cushions. :D

#32 ·
Yes, and they are all properly known as "geotextiles". Invented IIRC by Phillips Petroleum one of the other Seven Sisters as a road underlayment material. In the early 60's there were plans to build the big PanAmerican Highway by having huge six-lane wide machines cut and level the forest, lay underlayment for road drainage, pave it over, and leave six lanes of highway behind the machine as it ran from the north down to Tierra Del Fuego.

My, haven't we lowered our expectations.

This is all the same road underlayment, still used as a geotextile material for drainage in landscaping. The stuff under bunks is just a very expensive slice from the same big roll at the gardening supplier.

The stuff that 3M made popular for scrubbing pads, supposedly comes from 3M's great culture. Someone left a piece in the group kitchen, someone else started using it as a pot scrubbing pad, voila, millions to be made by encouraging different departments to eat and play together.

#33 ·
That IS part of 3M's culture - thinking outside the box. The Post-It note is a great example - a "failed" adhesive that became a ubiquitous product.