Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012

watchcap is on a distinguished road
Re: Any Albin Nimbus 42 owners out there

What route did you take back on to the lakes? Must have put the spurs to the old gal to get her home so quick. Any plans to do Queen's cup or the like here on the lake. Have a friend that would love to see the boat. We are here in Chicago. By the by whats the boat name?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012

talonawd91 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for a long after reply, really have to check my mail settings becauseI never get the notice that the thread updated. Anyhoo.
We went outside the whole way from Charleston to NYC and dropped the mast in the Catskils. Erie for 6 or so days and then Erie, Huron, Michigan home.

It really did not feel like we were hauling, but other than the canal we did 24/7 shifts with two people from lock 7 on.

I would love to show her off anytime just PM me. She was "fazzy" but now "Stockholm Syndrome"
Old 11-27-2012

Love the name. Can"t pm you have not posted enough yet but let me work on that and I'll fill you in. What yard are you staying at? Didn't think you could run at night on canal. If you ever head south via river system contact me as I've done that 6 times( Love that trip ) even though I'm a sailor.
Old 11-28-2012

Thanks!
I have the same limit on PMs =) Yeah you can't it was like 6am-10pm so other than those 6 days we were 24/7.
I'm at Pughs marina. I would love to go south that way but my draft limits that dream. I am looking forward to the St. Lawrence on our way out though.
Old 11-28-2012

well lets see if there's an angle to all this. 6' of draft works on river, I've taken a 43' pilothouse down with just over six. limits your chioces some but not to bad. just leave late sept, not mid oct. as will be at a "winter pool" stage down south. I'm at jacksboatworks (note spelling, lack of grammer) thats a kind of ya hoo kind of thing if you catch my drift. I'm guessing your boat tracks well. Big question is what do you think of her in the light stuff? This is coming from a racer mind you.
Old 11-30-2012

Are there any other nimbus owners still folowing the thread? looking for some thoughts about the sailing ability and overall construction. thanks for any help.
Old 11-30-2012

Something to think about, I guess I always figured the rivers were off limits.
So the boat. I think it tracks well. Mine could use a main refresh, but I felt she moved pretty well in a lite blow. I had a 38 irwin that was super light and under built that moved in a bug fart. The albin is not that, but she is VERY sturdy and really leaves me feeling safe and sure without being tub. The stringers and other smart design items really make it much stronger per pound than may boats. The surveyor said that the furniture could all be removed and the boat would still be as strong. I really feel, for the money they seem to go for, they are one of the best deals around for quality, performance, and space.
Old 11-30-2012

Was hoping to get in contact direct, and come up and see boat soon (week or two). As for river channel depth is 13', dockside at most marinas with diesel is 6 something hence the need to plan days careful. sometimes wind up stopping at 3pm. night travel really bad idea but at some point you wind up out for a couple of hours witch is really trying on the nerves! look my previous post about ya hoo, thanks
Old 12-09-2012

Looking to see what anybody knows aboat the foam cored decks in the nimbus. Those of you who tore off teak decks w ould probably have the best insite to this question.
Old 12-09-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

My understanding is that it is not "foam" but a curly plastic material more like a coarse version of a Scotchbrite pad. It is not a foam rubber or anything like that, and should not degrade when wet, as the water will simply run through it. I haven't been into one to see what it actually is, but heard it repeatedly in reviews, etc.