Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Any Albin Nimbus 42 owners out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
My understanding is that it is not "foam" but a curly plastic material more like a coarse version of a Scotchbrite pad. It is not a foam rubber or anything like that, and should not degrade when wet, as the water will simply run through it. I haven't been into one to see what it actually is, but heard it repeatedly in reviews, etc.
Sounds like those "breather" pads for under berth cushions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Yes, and they are all properly known as "geotextiles". Invented IIRC by Phillips Petroleum one of the other Seven Sisters as a road underlayment material. In the early 60's there were plans to build the big PanAmerican Highway by having huge six-lane wide machines cut and level the forest, lay underlayment for road drainage, pave it over, and leave six lanes of highway behind the machine as it ran from the north down to Tierra Del Fuego.

My, haven't we lowered our expectations.

This is all the same road underlayment, still used as a geotextile material for drainage in landscaping. The stuff under bunks is just a very expensive slice from the same big roll at the gardening supplier.

The stuff that 3M made popular for scrubbing pads, supposedly comes from 3M's great culture. Someone left a piece in the group kitchen, someone else started using it as a pot scrubbing pad, voila, millions to be made by encouraging different departments to eat and play together.
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yes, and they are all properly known as "geotextiles". Invented IIRC by Phillips Petroleum one of the other Seven Sisters as a road underlayment material. In the early 60's there were plans to build the big PanAmerican Highway by having huge six-lane wide machines cut and level the forest, lay underlayment for road drainage, pave it over, and leave six lanes of highway behind the machine as it ran from the north down to Tierra Del Fuego.

My, haven't we lowered our expectations.

This is all the same road underlayment, still used as a geotextile material for drainage in landscaping. The stuff under bunks is just a very expensive slice from the same big roll at the gardening supplier.

The stuff that 3M made popular for scrubbing pads, supposedly comes from 3M's great culture. Someone left a piece in the group kitchen, someone else started using it as a pot scrubbing pad, voila, millions to be made by encouraging different departments to eat and play together.
That IS part of 3M's culture - thinking outside the box. The Post-It note is a great example - a "failed" adhesive that became a ubiquitous product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-09-2012

talonawd91 is on a distinguished road

From what I have seen of the foam in our boat, it was not quite 3m scrub pad, but more like the green foam block used in flower center pieces. It sure does let water run though.
Watchcap, Feel free to drop me a line at talonawd1991 at yahoo dot com.
Old 12-09-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonawd91 View Post
From what I have seen of the foam in our boat, it was not quite 3m scrub pad, but more like the green foam block used in flower center pieces. It sure does let water run though.
Watchcap, Feel free to drop me a line at talonawd1991 at yahoo dot com.
Yeah, that's it. Here's a couple core samples taken today from our 1972 Albin Ballad:

cores

The one on the right is from just in front of the seahood. It is dry and well-adhered to the skins. The one on the left is from near the port side chainplates, which have probably been leaking for twenty years. The foam is damp to the fingers when squuezed, and it isn't particularly well-stuck to the skins.

But the side decks don't flex, and as long as the foam keeps the skins apart from each other, the essential strength of the core-box design remains. The decks do not flex when you walk on them. And the wet foam has not turned to slurry as balsa often does. It is still quite rigid. I suspect Albin made the outer skin so stout, the core and inner liner are almost optional.
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Yeah, that's it. Here's a couple core samples taken today from our 1972 Albin Ballad:

cores
Looks like CoreCell foam. I've used it in the past. Expensive but good stuff - very rigid and difficult to compress, even with very localized pressure on the bare foam. Except for the cost, I would use it in a heartbeat over balsa.

Old 12-09-2012
baDumbumbum

Very like CoreCell -- probably a direct ancestor. Slightly different texture (I recored our SJ21 with CoreCell, and like you, I think it better than balsa.) It's definitely a closed cell urethane of some kind. On the Ballad, the core is a full 1" thick. Which seems like total overkill, but I'm okay with that.

This boat lived in the Great Lakes for probably most of its life. Despite many freeze-thaw cycles, the wet foam has generally not caused any deck problems. I'll still recore where appropriate, but I'm not going to sweat every last square inch of wet decks. Three years in Wyoming and five more in the Sonoran Desert ought to dessicate things nicely.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 12-14-2012
baDumbumbum

Final note on Albin deck cores. I've since learned the core material is Divinycell, a high-density PVC foam. Still made and available in Europe and North America. The plug I removed was 1.77 cubic inches of foam. The foam weighed 14g wet (30+% MC)at removal; in less than five days in a warm house, it has stabilized at 4g and 6-% MC. Upshot is, if you expose the core & keep the ambient RH low, your foam will go back to factory-dry in jig time. Despite undergoing many freeze-thaw cycles in the upper Midwest, the foam is structurally very sound & resistant to compression. So wet decks on Albin boats are less of a deal-killer than they might be on other marques. Cheers.
Old 01-04-2013

talonawd91 is on a distinguished road

Any of you guys owning a nimbus out there able to take a photo of the helm steering setup down below, and of the mechanisms that hold the engine hatch on? My helm had been removed but the sheaves, quadrant, and such are still there, but they look unoriginal. My engine hatch was glued down and missing what I assume was hatch locks. Any help would be very appreciated.
Old 01-10-2013

Albin42 is on a distinguished road

Hi, another new nimbus owner here. Just bought Veela, formerly Sherry Dawn. Who knows something about this boat? It just got new decks, but needs TLC