Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013

wamcneil is on a distinguished road
Re: Any Albin Nimbus 42 owners out there

Here's a link to the album.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11351...83392405954417
Old 03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonawd91 View Post
wamcneil,

What work did you do/need on the rudder? Mine may need a lower bearing and I was wondering if you have done one or did you need the drawings for something else?
I needed the drawings to see what the rudder's steel inner structure was supposed to look like. The steel armature was pretty close to spec, but the 3" stock stopped 6" into the rudder instead of extending 24" down and tying into the armature's structure. I was also hoping for drawings of the upper bearing, but I'm not sure he had details of it.
On the lower bearing, it was pretty straightforward to make a new bearing. As I recall, there was only packing inside the gland, lots and lots of packing, but no bearing as such, which leaked a lot and didn't provide a very slick bearing surface. I could tighten the gland, but rudder movement would very quickly compress the packing and it would start to leak underway. So I made a 4" tall Delrin sleeve with ID just bigger than the 3" stock and OD to just slip-fit into the gland, then put 2-3 wraps of packing on top of that. Much smoother and no leaks. Then made a big Delrin bearing with flange to replace the little bronze collar on the top bearing, which really just provided vertical support.
Old 03-08-2013

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but here's an old pdf that shows how the Yacht Specialties steering system and sheave box was supposed to work.
http://forums.beneteau.sailboatowner...id=48&act=down
These YS steering systems were pretty common at one time, so there's probably parts to be had at places like Don's Salvage in Tampa, where I would have found mine years ago.
If you want to try fabricating something, I have a really nice pair of NOS roller bearing wire sheaves that would make for a real slick steering setup.

Last edited by wamcneil; 03-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

talonawd91 is on a distinguished road

WOW!
Many thanks for taking the time to collect those pics and upload them. I can't tell you how much light that shed on the matter for me. The tabbed in spot for the stops you had tell me mine must be original. I am going to look at them and see if the surface was enlarged to stop the rudder sooner. My guess is yes.

Is that sheave box you have bolted through the cockpit? I love the box and the simplicity of it, but after bad experiences on a past boat, I would be against putting any holes in the cockpit floor.

The aft stay bulk head seems larger on yours than I remember, but i'll give it another look. The circle quadrant was a 10" so you only need 5 inches on that side and I thought I had it. Sure would be nice to pull a set of sheaves out for the mix. But I do wonder if there are any drawback to that setup vs. the classic quadrant.

I am going up to the boat this weekend to pretty much measure everything I can get my hands on. My setup is harder to access since the PO built a metal frame and shelf around the quadrant so the aft area could be used for storage and not interfere with the steerage. I have to decide on a direction before it really starts to get warm. The base plate under the helm still needs to be purchased base on if I am going to use the same quadrant or change it.

For the lower rudder bearing, I see some rust coming from the bottom support and I think it's just lower rod wear. After what you told me though, I may splurge and get the rudder Xray'd to find out if it's hiding any ghosts.

My rudder gland does not leak and feels pretty tight, but I have not looked super close at it. The force or the oversized tiller did seem to wear the top "bearing" more than I would like.

Do you have any pics of the sheaves you have? The major concern with mine is that the lip on the wheels seem to be worn to a razor edge for the wire entering and exiting at a bad angle.
Old 03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonawd91 View Post
WOW!
The tabbed in spot for the stops you had tell me mine must be original. I am going to look at them and see if the surface was enlarged to stop the rudder sooner. My guess is yes.
My recollection is that I got a lot more articulation with the current setup than original

Is that sheave box you have bolted through the cockpit? I love the box and the simplicity of it, but after bad experiences on a past boat, I would be against putting any holes in the cockpit floor.
Right, stainless carriage bolts through the cockpit sole. Same for the A/P bracket on the starboard side. As far as I can tell there is no other practical means to mount such hardware; at least without some major fabrication.

The aft stay bulk head seems larger on yours than I remember, but i'll give it another look. The circle quadrant was a 10" so you only need 5 inches on that side and I thought I had it. Sure would be nice to pull a set of sheaves out for the mix. But I do wonder if there are any drawback to that setup vs. the classic quadrant.
I'm no naval architect, but you may want to consult somebody in the know before putting in a 10" dia quad. It seems to me that it could put monstrous loads on the steering gear. That's probably about 1/3 the diameter of the original quad, so steering gear loads would be at least several times greater than designed.

My rudder gland does not leak and feels pretty tight, but I have not looked super close at it. The force or the oversized tiller did seem to wear the top "bearing" more than I would like.
If the upper "bearing" was like mine, the problem wasn't a tiller. Mine was a completely inadequate light bronze ring screwed into the fiberglass with four wood screws.

Do you have any pics of the sheaves you have? The major concern with mine is that the lip on the wheels seem to be worn to a razor edge for the wire entering and exiting at a bad angle.
Sure, I'll send some pictures.
Old 03-09-2013

welljim is on a distinguished road

So how do they sail after all?? How many degrees high do they point, and at what wind speed do you start motoring (at what point of sail)?

Do current owners think it would be possible to add a hard dodger, and relocate the mainsheet traveller on top of it? It may sound weird, but I have this obsession with hard dodgers for safety reasons (see offshore gales/storms). How much clearance is there between cockpit sole and boom? I'm thinking about something like this:

http ://s17.postimage.org/v6c1ljwan/dodger.jpg

(there is an added space between the "http" and the ":" as I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post links. Just remove the space when you copy the link to your browser)

How about the sink, not sure why it is not located in the center of the boat but the original location seems to be too close to the hull. Does it flood at high angles of heel?

Many thanks

Last edited by welljim; 03-09-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added more questions
Old 03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by welljim View Post
So how do they sail after all?? How many degrees high do they point, and at what wind speed do you start motoring (at what point of sail)?

Do current owners think it would be possible to add a hard dodger, and relocate the mainsheet traveller on top of it? It may sound weird, but I have this obsession with hard dodgers for safety reasons (see offshore gales/storms). How much clearance is there between cockpit sole and boom? I'm thinking about something like this:

http ://s17.postimage.org/v6c1ljwan/dodger.jpg

How about the sink, not sure why it is not located in the center of the boat but the original location seems to be too close to the hull. Does it flood at high angles of heel?

Many thanks
I don't know how to quantify it, but the nimbus points pretty well. I think the hull design is a pretty good compromise between racer and cruiser, with a deck design slanted toward racing. It's a wet boat with low freeboard.

In my opinion, a lot of the attraction in this boat is the ability to sail it like a much smaller boat; The boom is nice and low, the traveller is right in the cockpit kind of like a j29 and it is operated without a winch.

I think the cockpit coaming forward of the companionway would lend it self very well to a much bigger (wider) soft dodger, as opposed to the little snap-dodger between the companionway handrails. I would want it to have an arch just like the coming so it could be laid down flush with the deck when not in use, and be easily pushed forward to facilitate entry/exit like the original snap-dodger. Any other rigid design will severely limit access to the companionway. The original little dodger protecting the companionway is held in place with bungee so that you can push it forward as you approach the companionway and then it will snap back into place when you let it go.
I often longed for a sheltered spot offshore in cold conditions, but I wouldn't compromise the design with a big hard shelter.There wouldn't be nearly enough room to move around under the enclosure unless you moved the boom up another couple-feet.

There are plenty of Hunters and pilot-house cruisers around if that's what you're after...

Yes, the sink can accumulate a bit of water at heel. Not enough to be a problem, but I'm not a fan of its location either. My plan was to close off the port access to the aft stateroom and put the sink right there next to the companionway. Water in the sink isn't a factor for me, but in my opinion, giving up galley space for a 2nd access to the aft stateroom is a bad compromise. I'd rather access the aft stateroom via the head, but some folks might not agree with me.

Last edited by wamcneil; 03-09-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I would suggest that putting a hard dodger on a Nimbus would be like adding two stabilizing wheels on a motorcycle. Or welding a hard top on a convertible sports car.

If you need to do that, consider changing boats. Look at a Nauticat. (Honestly.)

Or first, buy a good set of foulies (and a good wool watch cap, not the $1.99 kind) and some silk or polypro underwear, and see how much fun it can be to be outdoors, unobstructed, and still very much warm and dry! Honest, there is NO excuse to be cold and wet on a boat. And I say that having made any numbers of mistakes that left me cold and wet on a boat. I try not to make the same ones twice.

Or, similarly, a good Tilly hat, some lightweight sunblock clothing, and try to avoid those 100F days.

Mind you, I'm not saying dodgers and cabins are bad ideas--just that personally I don't like "the box" and would call it mutilating a flush-deck boat to add one that way.

The sink, that's another story. Either it is under foot, or, yeah, those problems are not limited to this boat. A good reason to keep that thruhull shut off when not in the galley, no?
Old 03-09-2013

welljim is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys, unfortunately for multi-week passages in the PNW (where I mostly sail) a hard dodger is a safety necessity. It just gets too cold even though we wear Mustang GoreTex survival suits (they are like breathable drysuits, even coast guard uses them). And it's not only the cold, there is so much spray that gets in the eyes that visibility is compromised. Crew fatigue is just too much without a hard dodger, especially during night watch.

Anyway, I get it, no space for a hard dodger on a Nimbus 42.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2013
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

The Albin Nimbus is a 42' version of my Skye 51 and, personally, I would NEVER install a hard dodger. there is room for one but it destroys the lines of the boat, a point of pride for both Nimbus and Skye owners. my soft dodger has performed admirably in the worst conditions, including a 65kt blow off Cape Horn. there is plenty of room to get out of the weather while on watch and plenty of protection for an open companion way hatch while at anchor overningt. the ability to drop the soft dodger for an unobstructed view from the wheel when entering port, maneuvering in tight spaces or docking is invaluable. soft dodgers lay flat for times at dock, anchor or fair weather sailing and pop up in 20 seconds when the weather turns foul. see pictures below to compare the lines of the boat with and without the dodger.

with dodger up, the boat is functional but something has been taken away from her elegance.

with dodger down, she is sleek and elegant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by obelisk; 03-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.