Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
They're great fun! Where to start...

Get a book on sailing them.

There is no need to backwind in a tack. There is a need to ease the main as you come through and get a cross just as the wind does. It's all timing.

Practice righting near the beach. The 18 is a bit harder to right because of its size - probably 320 pounds are required. The H16 takes about 270. You can get by with less with a righting bag, but it is very physical and very tough if it is windy. I'm not sure 1 person can right a H18 alone, with any aids.

You can't drag a H18 over the sand. Either get wheels or just use a ramp.

Knee pads are very handy, if you are over 40!

Foot loops on the rail real help when things get wild.

They are GREAT practice for bigger boats. My first boat was a Prindle 16 (very much like the H16) On my last boat (Stiletto 27) I would never let a non-beach cat sailor take the helm if there was much wind. Then again, the Stiletto is like a H18 that can't be righted! On my new cat I ma a bit less strict, but I still prefer a sailor that can gauge when a pitch pole is coming and when to ease up. The feel is different than a monohull and a beach cat is the best teacher.

So, in a season or 2, it is inevitable: you will move to the dark side! Welcome!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Maury,

First, thanks to you and all the others for thier service. I started sailing on an H16 on a large pond on Indiana. Then I moved to the North Shore of Boston and sailed off the coast of Marblehead. After a few years of doing that I ended up with an H18. I moved to Annapolis a year later and sailed it near downtown. Both the H18 and H16 have thier strong points. After sailing the H18 for a few years I found myself wanting the H16 again. The H18 is great for two people. You can really squeeze every ounce of performance out of it. I found that without mast up storage I did not sail it very much. And yes, you will need another person or righting assistance if you capsize. I was about 250 when I had the H18. It is a great boat. That said I prefer the H16 for my sailing preferences.

They are still quite fast, you can launch the boat from a trailer to the water in 15 minutes solo, I find it easier to keep a hull up, if you can capsize the boat you can right it solo if you weigh 200lbs or more, I have no qualms about running it up onto a beach, and I find the sail to be a bit more dry. There are also more racing fleet for the H16.

It is much easier to tack the H18 without backwinding, especially with crew. The dagger boards allow this. The H16 almost always has to be backwinded when solo, and many times with crew, since you have to drag the assymetic hulls through the water. Just move your weight as far forward as possible when tacking.

Get Catamran Sailing: From Start to Finish by Berman. This book will greatly steepen your learning curve. It takes about an hour or two to read cover to cover. I read it every spring and always seemed to learn something new.

I used to be pretty active on the Hobie board under the alias of HobieNick. If you have any questions about either boat, let me know. The wife and I started a family last year so she made me get a bigger boat. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to start sailing the H16.

Have fun and keep us posted.
________
Sick From Prilosec

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2009

chas5131 is on a distinguished road
My favorite is catsailor.com. It is a busy forum for cats.

Bought two Hobies in the last two years. A 16 and a Bravo. Will get the anti-pitchpole device if I keep the 16. The Bravo is a lot more fun than you would think.
Got them for the small lakes near Moab, Utah.
The Bravo was great on the lake (pond) near Moab that gets a h of a lot of wind.
Took the 16 to McPhee Reservoir in Colorado.
Now I am back in Colorado a couple of miles from my Ensign on Lake Dillon.
Not sure what to do with the Hobies that are still in Utah.

I advise adding a righting pole to the 16s and 18s.

I am 62 and still love the cats.

Last edited by chas5131; 11-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2010

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
I have recently returned to the multihull world by moving from my S2 8.0b to a Stiletto 27. I am so glad to be back. The Hobie 18 is a very good boat, and much better for carrying weight. Had a 21 for a bit, and it was a bullet in heavy air, but it underperformed in all other conditions. I have enjoyed all my catamarans, but thought the Nacras were the overall best, then Prindles. I think that Hobie thought this as well when they designed the Hobie 20. It's the perfect marriage of the Prindle 19 and the Nacra 5.8, with Hobie rudders(which are the best.) I'm sure you'll have fun on any of them
Old 03-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the stiletto is basically an over-sized beach cat with sleeping berths in the oversized hulls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I just sold my Stiletto 27, after 15 years of fun in the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8dawg View Post
I have recently returned to the multihull world by moving from my S2 8.0b to a Stiletto 27. I am so glad to be back. The Hobie 18 is a very good boat, and much better for carrying weight. Had a 21 for a bit, and it was a bullet in heavy air, but it underperformed in all other conditions. I have enjoyed all my catamarans, but thought the Nacras were the overall best, then Prindles. I think that Hobie thought this as well when they designed the Hobie 20. It's the perfect marriage of the Prindle 19 and the Nacra 5.8, with Hobie rudders(which are the best.) I'm sure you'll have fun on any of them
I have some Stiletto stuff on my blog, below (click "stiletto stuff" on the side bar). Also, if you are not familiar with wildjibe, the link is on my sidebar.

Yeah, it's kind of luxury camping, sort of in its own catagory. Have fun!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-29-2010

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
The boat was my father's, so I have been sailing it for a while. I just got a used sail from wldjibe, and I hope that eliminates some of the weatherhelm in heavy air. That being the only complaint I have about the boat. I have contemplated daggerboards, but whew that's a lot of work. I enjoyed my excursion into leaner land, but I ain't going back!
Old 03-30-2010

ceol is on a distinguished road
i still have a nacra 5.2 that i bought for $500 back in 91 or so. love it. i do not get out on it much anymore. mainly because there are not any decent marinas in my area where i can keep it mast up ready to go. i used to sail out of Aqualand in Ga. it was not unusual to see me out there 6 days a week. whenever the winds were above 8 kts i was out there. 8 was the minimum i needed to be on the traps. i have had the nacra out in 50+ knot gusts many times. i always thought Small Craft Advisories were advising me to get out on my small craft, so i did. being a skinny bloke if i flipped it i could not right it by myself. there were a few times when i would have to wait till i blew up on shore or somebody came by to help me get it up after being pummeled by a microburst. it is fun flying through the air sledding down the mainsail because the winds just come out of nowhere.

i do hope to get it out at least a couple of times this year. i used to take the nacra on our yearly beach trips, but lately we have been going to the outer banks of NC and some beaches in SC. they tend to not allow beach launching.

have fun. keep the 18. 16's are finicky and pitchpole like crazy in FW. in SW they are more buoyant and behave more reasonably.

G~
Old 03-30-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
I'm 59 and after getting laid off last april I decided that if I were ever going to sail I had better get to it.
My finances being what they are my choices were few. I decided to go with a Hobie 16 and see if sailing were something I really wanted to do.

On a small lake near my home in upstate NY I taught myself to sail the H16 and by August I was out on the trap flying the hull. I have to tell you that I love this boat and the opportunity it has afforded me.

Over the winter I purchased a 27' sloop and now I look forward to taking the next step.

Last edited by fparry; 03-30-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.