SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CD Is Leaving !!!

8K views 66 replies 49 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am very hnappy to tell everyone here that I am about to embarq again on life's great adventure: we are leaving to go cruising!

This is a very exciting thing for us. Several yeatrs ago, as many of you know, my wife and 3yo were struck by a 18 wheeler and for a while I did not even know if cruising would ever again be a possibility. We have spent the last couple of years working through all the issues (health and financial) and it appears we are finally able to give this thing a shot again.

My parents have already sold their house and are living with us. My house goes on the market this week. I will be liquidating all my assetts (well, minus the boat and the Bulldog... but I am taking offers for the latter... hehehe, j/k my wife would kill me). We are putting the things in place to start making the transition and with a little help from above, I think the pieces should all fit.

On a somewhat sad note (well, depending on who you talk to!!), I will be moving away from my moderating role at Sailnet. I have tried to serve my time as best as I possibly could and have tried to be fair and honest with everyone I have dealt with. I am leaving it in the hands of three very good friends and moderators and I hope you will continue to show them the same level of friendship and support you have shown me. Through all the hard times and effot involved, it is the members and their encouragement that has made moderating worth it. Thank you.

I will stay on for a while during the transition to make sure all the bases are covered for everyone. I may also play some type "Moderator At Large" role. However, the basic duties will be heavily shifted to the other guys.

Our plans at this point are to drop the boats in the Gulf somewhere between next month or as soon as the house sales. We will probably sail them across (depending on the weather window) and head for South Florida. I have an office down there and will run some aspects of my business from there until things are settled for us. And then we are off to... somewhere. Bahamas? Carribean? Distant shores and distant lands. BBQ grills and solar arrays. If you ever need me, look for the smoke rising in the distance. Listen for Thomas the Train Engine blaring across the cockpit speakers. And stop by and have a drink. I would welcome all of you.

To all me friends and members, thank you for a great many years. I will check in here and post as I can. And if you ever need me, don't feel afraid to write. I will reply as the internet allows!

All the best,

Brian and Family.

See less See more
#31 ·
I've already said something about CD's leaving in another forum so I will make it shorter now:

When I was 41 years old I've started sailing again. That was one year ago. Almost at the same time I've joined some of the forums around.
During this last year I've learned a lot, and I'm not talking only on the technical side of sailing, but also - and maybe the most important one - on the human behavior side.
So, I just want to say that I'm thankful for the knowledge, the friendship and the good laughs that some of the mods and members of all of the sites that I visit are providing me.

Today I'm sad because Cruisingdad's leaving. Thank you Sir for everything you provided me.

#32 ·
wow, congrats Brian & family!!
You honestly just gave me an anxiety attack, lmao

I've been out of Paxil since half way up the ICW from the keys.. That will change tomorrow though, whew, finally!!

"Paxil" if I EVER am lucky enough to name a boat, "PAXIL" will be it!!

I miss all of my instant cruising friends from Boot Key Harbor & welled up a bit reading your post, God Speed, Fair Winds & a breeze on your beam :)
(who came up with the following seas bit, it really isn't enjoyable, lol)

#33 ·
Best wishes & hope to see you out there - weather permitting, we leave this weekend also. -Dan & Jaye Eryka

#35 ·
Fair Winds and Following seas, Brian. I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank you for the advice you provided during our boat search. It definitely helped us choose the right Catalina for us and we look forward to many years enjoying our Palmetto Moon.

Best wishes to your entire family as you set off on your latest adventure. I hope to follow in your footsteps in the not too distant future.

#38 ·
Hi Everyone,

I owe many of you a very personal response and will do my best as I can take a breather. Funny, you would think with all the changes that I would be settling down and sleeping good. Quite the opposite! I have woken up every night this week and last mulling over one thing or another about what we are forgetting or what we have to do! I am still interviewing realtors. We just finished a parent-teacher conference and broke the news to them (they were a little shocked, a little not). We sat down as a family last night and went through everything again and all the changes that are about to happen. Wow! Quite an emotional whilrwind.

Last time when we went Chase was about 1 I think... maybe a little younger. We put our house for sale, and it sold, no negot, within 12 hours (and we did not even list it with a realtor!! just a sign outfront). The boat was prepped and within a week or two was on a truck heading south.

I kinda feel like that is what is happening again. Everything is going very fast. We do have a number of things we are going to have to take care of on the boats, especially dad's, but we are contemplating having many of those things done in S Texas or Florida. I guess it kinda depends on how long the house is on the market and the other personal and business matters that have to get wrapped up.

I know it sounds kinda funny, but one of the hardest things I have done was to tell you guys and begin the search for the new mod. THat is why I was as happy as I was that Faster came on board. I feel like I am leaving this place in good hands. I have promised to help out in the transition, and may keep some aspect of admin duties to help with some of those pieces (which typically are not things that have to be done immediately and could wait until we have internet connection), but it is very hard letting go of here. Talk about screwed up priorities!!

The family is taking it pretty well. Kris' head is spinning as things are going so fast. Dad has been chomping at the bit for 12 months, and is having a hard time realizing that this is really going forward. Chase and Glen are taking it pretty good. Chase (my oldest at 9) is really excited. He sees it as an adventure again and knows what to expect for the most part. For Glen, this is really a new adventure. He has more of an attachment to the house and stuff than any of the rest of us. But he is 5, and this is a good time for him and Chase to start this process. It's not like we don't spend basically every weekend on the boat anyways, so I believe he will adapt.

Anyways, lot's of thoughts there. I am only sharing them for those that are interested and for those that might be planning somehting like this in the future. I hope it gives some of you a little insight on what to expect - or at least one aspect of what to expect. It is exciting and scary at the same time. It is stressful. But a little planning, lots of family communication, and consistent reassurance on where we are going makes things easier to swallow and deal with.

Again, I hope to write more detailed responses to many of you. Until then, thanks again for the many kind words.

Brian

#45 ·
I am Jealous, Envyes and Awe struck :eek:

I do wish you the Trip of a life time and also Hope to live it with you as you go..
The Great Escape is yours for sure.. Wow Wow WOW..:eek:

PLEASE keep us up to date as you can, We who cant do what you are doing, the Great Sufari.

I can think of No better education for the kids and you , mom n Dad , than this kind of world trip.. WOW, you can go ANYwhere.. :eek:

Scuse me while I pull my Eyelids back down :D

and, if you see a Hitch hiker on a pile of Flotsum, please pick me up :p
I will and im sure we ALL will be waiting for your next post.. so Make it Snappy Sailor :p

#50 ·
Cdad,
the self-ish side of me wants to be sad and even angry, cause your knowledge & kindness has made SNet my shelter from the harsh nonsailing world... and i'm gonna miss ya ... but the rest of me is so very happy that your gonna be "out there", and i know your taking all of us with you... its cold outside on my small deck... but i'm firing up my grill, pretending i'm anchored someplace warm & waving across the bay at ya to come over for a sundowner... if i make it "out there" i'll be lookin for ya, till then, Godspeed

#53 ·
Ahhh... I was wondering why we ended up getting pushned a week or two when everything was going perfect. Guess what is brewing in the gulf and heading right over our intended route.... yep. Possible hurricane.

I tell you what, after gabrielle, charlie, Jean, Francis, Ivan, etc.... I thought I wa a freaking magnet for these things. Now I know I am. All I do is TALK about going to mobile, and here it comes!

So, you go me a little longer Pain. Watch your back (evil laugh...)

Brian

#56 ·
Very sorry John. Turns out I have been reviewing all of the Sailnet threads to make sure I have everything for my boat: 2 grills, 4 solar panels, 2 seperate chart plotters and radars with 84 handheld gps backups, two radar reflectors, etc, etc.

Then guess wthat? I was flipping through the West Marine catalog and making sure I did not miss anything. Generally I can flip to any page and I have at least two on my boat. THen... I saw it!! SOmthing I did not have. They are called Trim Tabs.

HOLY CRAP! We stopped everything, cancelled the truck, put off the date, re-enrolled the kids, all of it. I ordered the trim tabs and have been going ovetr and over the instructions. They seemed to have left off how to install them on sailboats, so I am having to improvise. Should be done soon!!!

Brian

PS I will get even for changing the name. I STILL HAVE POWER SUPREME!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.