Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
What happens if a Goose Neck fails?

The Goose neck on my 30 foot boat failed this weekend. Fortunately, it happened as I was shaking out a reef, heading upwind. An hour earlier I was dealing with steady 25 knot winds. Made me think what would have happened if it had occurred then? I would have had a Cunningham on so that would hold the foot, and the main sheet would have still been holding down the clew, so maybe it wouldn't have been catastrophic. What if I had a full main up, and no Cunningham? I posted in Gear and Maintenance and got a lot of good responses dealing with the mechanical aspects of the repair, but no one addressed this issue. Just curious about how lucky I was. I'm thinking most of the stress is on the leading edge and leech. Thoughts?

Last edited by L124C; 10-07-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I think the first thing I would do is to lash the tack to the mast and then add a downhaul.

I might consider attaching sheets and sailing it like a jib and even remove the boom completely.

If the boat sailed well on just the jib, I would just drop the main sail altogether and fix the boom at my leisure.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 10-07-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
The goose dies
Old 10-07-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
You fix it

Dave
Old 10-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste27 View Post
The goose dies
Ha, Ha, very clever! GET A LIFE!
Old 10-08-2009

Too much time on your hands guys? Go sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereussailor View Post
You fix it

Dave
Even funnier! Two Jokers in one post. Thats a first! I've almost always found that members have something worthwhile to say when they contribute to a post. Thats why I've found Sailnet so valuable. I guess some people just have nothing better to do than cruise the site and make lame jokes. Very sad actually

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
I think the first thing I would do is to lash the tack to the mast and then add a downhaul.

I might consider attaching sheets and sailing it like a jib and even remove the boom completely.

If the boat sailed well on just the jib, I would just drop the main sail altogether and fix the boom at my leisure.
Since I was in the right place, at the right time when it happened (in irons, with the halyard in my hand), thats exactly what I did, dropped the main, and sailed home with the jib. The Cunningham, (I guess you are calling it a Downhaul), was already on because I was reefed. What I'm asking is; what happens when the full main us under load and the goose neck fails. I thought someone who had it happen could contribute, or a rigger could comment on how much force is on the junction of mast and boom in such conditions. I originally imagined pieces of sail and rigging flying everywhere. But the more I think about it, I suspect the mast and main sheet would pick up the slack.
Old 10-08-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
It will shove the boom foward and ruin the sail shape.

After you fix it you could try tightening the outhaul by just pulling on the clue and see how much push the sail exerts on the boom to mast connection.

Think of sheeting angles for the jib and what would happen if you moved them foward of the clue.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 10-08-2009

hotdogs is on a distinguished road
Broken gooseneck & bad attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Ha, Ha, very clever! GET A LIFE!
Hello,

When I read the title of this post, I clicked on it with the intention of sharing a story of my own that relates to the topic. I thought it would have been informative and maybe even useful.

After seeing the disrespectful way the original author has replied to two fellow posters here on Sailnet, however, I've lost interest in doing so.

It seems to me that if anybody in this thread has too much time on their hands and ought to go sailing, it's the individual throwing around insults. This is normally a friendly place to read and post; please check the third grade attitude at the door.

Respectfully,

hotdogs
Old 10-08-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Thanks hotdogs, you're absolutely right. Wow, lighten up L124C, it's not the end of the world, and we aren't all morons. You definitely don't need to get your undies in a bunch over a question on a forum. Here's my real thoughts. You have a couple of options that I could think of, you could lash the goose neck back on to the mast and create a Cunningham with the line that you're lashing it with, or you could remove the boom and sail, and lash it to the cabin top or toss it in the cabin, then motor to your destination and fix your boom.
There are always a bunch of what if's. What if it happened when you were shaking out the reef and it knocked you overboard? What if you weren't tethered to the jackline? What if you were in the water waiting for someone to rescue you and a shark started hanging around? If you spend all your time thinking about the "What If's" you won't have much fun sailing. So forget about the "What If's" , learn how to take a little joke, spend your time enjoying sailing, and when something happens, think fast, get it fixed and then go brag about what an experience you just had. By the way, It sounds like you had the answer before you posted. So why ask the question?

Last edited by nereussailor; 10-08-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: adding content