Boat owner not paying yard, and title of ownership issues - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
"Men and boats rot in port"

I would be very careful of an abandonded boat. I met a lady who was given a boat and was $1,000 behind in the first two days...$650 was for the emergency tow...she called our sailing club trying to give it away.

Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2009

stollie is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks everyone for such an impressive response! I'm a lot less in the dark now, and will definitely heed advice to tread carefully. The info. on state regulations was gold; I'll try to find NJ's regs. and procedures.

I'm reading up on Don Casey's book on inspecting an aging saiboat, and if and when it gets to it, I'll be looking over the boat the best I can. With that, I'll try to come up with some figures on how much it would cost to make the boat shipshape and outfitted, and if I want to spend that money or just look for a boat in better shape that costs the same amount.

If I end up trying to get the boat, I'm hoping I'll be able to get the sails and other removables from the owner.

Please keep the communication coming. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
I purchased my boat in Wisconsin under similar circumstances. It had been left in the yard for over five years, and the fees for work done on the boat and storage were greater than the value of the boat. The yard filed all of the paperwork for taking possession of the boat, and sold it to me. I ended up with a good deal, and they recouped some of there expenses. probably enough to cover the topside painting and the bottom job.
The boat was in great shape from the toerail down, but the interior was as deniseO30 stated, it might have 3 feet of water inside the cabin.
Mine had a high waterline about 6 inches above the sole. I put a lot of work into restoring the interior, but it was worth it to me. I'll probably never recoupe what I have stuck into the boat, but I have had it for almost five years, and it looks and sails great.
I'm looking at a 35 ft Hunter right now that was left in a yard. I and am working with the yard to get them to get title of the boat. It might take a while, but I'll eventually get it.
Good luck with your search, and hope that you end up with the boat that you want.
Dirtboy, If you have any more information on the process in florida, I'd appreciate it. I haven't worked with Florida boats yet, but could use all the help I can get.

Dave
Old 10-11-2009
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
NJ has a fairly new law (maybe 2 years max) so make sure you get the new one not the old one . . ..

Best bet would be to simply talk to the yard owner. He knows the law (because half his business is collecting late payment) and you can't obtain the title -- he needs to.

What kinda sailboat are we taking about anyway?
Old 10-11-2009

Update:

I was able to speak to the yard's owner, to get a look inside the cabin, and a much closer look in general.

The boat has about 3 inches of water inside...I wonder how much damage that does to a fiberglass boat, but there's no engine or other mechanical stuff to get damaged. He said the only way to get the water out is to pump it out. I'll go armed to inspect another day, and will probably pump out the water.

The guy also told me he should be able to get the title in the Spring, and that it takes about 6 weeks. When I asked him for an estimated price, he gave me a figure, then said he's lost much money in fees, then stopped himself. I gave him my name and number and asked him to call me when he had an update.

I figure when the time's right, I'll offer about 2/3 of what he told me, as the money he's out has nothing to do with the fair market value of the boat, right?

Some of the cards I have: I'm planning on keeping the boat at that yard as it's conveniently located; they have mooring space; somebody who has their boat there has high praise for the place, and that the guy is a straight shooter; I'll be having the yard doing work that I can't or don't have time to do myself. So basically, I'll be keeping the business there.

Still wondering if I'll be able to find the current owner and get the sails, etc..

That's the new developments, so please chew on it and keep the advice flowing, as this newbie needs it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Stollie—

I'd also recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine what problems the boat has and whether it is worth looking into further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-11-2009

OK, thanks, sailingdog, will do.
Old 10-11-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Stollie where are you in NJ I'm just across the bridge in Bristol pa. What make and size boat is it? New sails for a boat around 30ft are going to cost close to 3K. add that to the equasion.
Water in the boat will cause odors that you can never quite get rid of. If the water has frozen over the years and most likely has, it can delam the fiberglass. I'd just throw the guy a number and ignore his losses. they already lost the $. You may want to contact Don at G winters sailing in Riverside and see what they have "laying around" Or!!!! you can buy my boat! LOL

my current "project"!
Old 10-11-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
try to get the water out before winter if you are really still interested
Old 10-11-2009

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stollie View Post
Update:
as the money he's out has nothing to do with the fair market value of the boat, right?
Right.

Estimate your cost to make everything ship shape, and then multiply it by two.
Add that to what you are going to pay for the boat
Check around to see what kind of boat you can get for that money.

It's a buyers market.