Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... good response... and good excuse to spend a couple days in the harbor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow - great write up Sequiter. You guys rock.

I look forward to hearing more as you continue your adventure.

PS - didn't you guys meet on SN?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-11-2009
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wow - great write up Sequiter. You guys rock.
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
PS - didn't you guys meet on SN?
No, actually we met on a British site, Crewbay: http://www.crewbay.com/. It may seem a bit odd with me in Vancouver and Edi a short distance away on Vancouver Island to be using a British site, but we each were looking far further than just down the block. We just happened to be almost neighbours.

As the site says: "Crewbay is the professional online crewing service designed to connect amateur and professional yacht crew with sailing and power boats from all over the world".

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 10-11-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Good luck with it. See you when you drift across the coconut run. Take your time, there's a few islands in between.

Old 10-11-2009
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Good luck with it. See you when you drift across the coconut run. Take your time, there's a few islands in between.
Both Edi and I have seen more than enough palm trees to last a lifetime; we're not doing the coconut run, we're continuing south to concentrate on exploring the Pacific coast of South America. We anticipate taking eight or ten months to reach Patagonia, and we want to spend a good six months wandering the canals of Patagonia before we leave the continent and venture further south in early 2011.

But hang in there; we'll be heading past Oz from the west in seven or eight years.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Last edited by Sequitur; 10-11-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Venturing FURTHER south?
Old 10-11-2009
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Venturing FURTHER south?
No sense being in Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego without popping over to Antarctica. Edi and I have travelled in six of the continents, and we thought we'd better make it all seven. There are frequent three-day, four-day and occasionally five-day weather windows in January and February that will allow us a pleasant three-day crossing of the Drake Passage.

I sent-off to Ottawa last month the thirteen-page "APPLICATION FOR A PERMIT UNDER THE ANTARCTIC ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT AND THE ANTARCTIC ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION REGULATIONS".

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 10-11-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Oh I do like the sound of all of that.

I love the idea of where you are going. Patagonia is yet another one of those god forsaken spots that I would really love to visit. When I was reading Magellan's story a year or so back the description of that area made it sound worth the cold and nasty winds.

Think I might have to add Sooke Harbour House to my stop offs when and if I finally make it to BC. Looks good. Me and the Wombette like a bit of the old degustation.....

Your cockpit snacks look the go as well. "Bagels and cream cheese with capers and lox, dishes of yogurt and mugs of freshly brewed coffee. Our lunches alternated between hot paninis and arrays of cheese and crackers with fresh fruit, olives, artichoke hearts, nuts and so on." Yep, I can see the appeal in all that but please, tell me, if you would be so kind......What in heavens name is a Bagel Toaster ? Emphasis on the toaster. Why does a Bagel need, or indeed want, its own toaster ?

Kepp on having fun,

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-12-2009
... a logical conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Oh I do like the sound of all of that.

I love the idea of where you are going. Patagonia is yet another one of those god forsaken spots that I would really love to visit. When I was reading Magellan's story a year or so back the description of that area made it sound worth the cold and nasty winds.
Yes, to me the absolute splendor of the place far exceeds all of the often quoted adverse conditions. My high altitude and high latitude mountaineering and my trips to the arctic have taught me a few things on how to remain comfortable in extreme conditions. We're taking enough creature comforts with us to take some of the bite off the discomforts and hardships.

Quote:
Think I might have to add Sooke Harbour House to my stop offs when and if I finally make it to BC. Looks good. Me and the Wombette like a bit of the old degustation.....
You'll love it. The Sooke Harbour House was named “One of the five best Country Inns in the world” in 2000 by Gourmet Magazine and second best hotel in North America. As well, it was called the “sixth best small hotel in North America ” by Travel and Leisure Magazine. The restaurant’s wine list has been awarded the Grand Award by Wine Spectator for having one of the best wine lists in the world.

Sinclair Philip has owned Sooke Harbour House since 1979, and in the days when I was a wine importer, he was a very good client. He is a proponent of seasonal, regional and whenever possible, organic foods. His menus focus on local fish and shellfish as well as on a wide variety of organic herbs, vegetables, salad greens and edible flowers from the restaurant’s year round gardens. Local foragers supply wild mushrooms, wild seaweed and berries.

Quote:
Your cockpit snacks look the go as well. "Bagels and cream cheese with capers and lox, dishes of yogurt and mugs of freshly brewed coffee. Our lunches alternated between hot paninis and arrays of cheese and crackers with fresh fruit, olives, artichoke hearts, nuts and so on." Yep, I can see the appeal in all that but please, tell me, if you would be so kind......What in heavens name is a Bagel Toaster ? Emphasis on the toaster. Why does a Bagel need, or indeed want, its own toaster ?
Maybe North American bagels are bigger than those in Oz. Here they are too thick, even after slicing to fit in most toasters, so we have specialized bagel toasters. We chose a Braun HT600, a toaster that can accommodate very thick and very long slices of bread from non-standard loaves. Our bagels tell us they love it, and would have nothing else. Besides, its brushed stainless steel goes nicely with the rest of the galley.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 10-12-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Well, dont upset Mrs 'S' or you may wear the bagel toaster about your ears!! It look portable enough to swing in a confined space, yet with the destructive power only a wife can muster.

Safe journeying Sequitur & crew