Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
Clearing crab pot buoys/lines

We had Columbus Day Regatta this past weekend and had, I think, 25 boats in our little bay. We (committee boat) went out at 1100 on Saturday and set up our markers. There were crab pots everywhere as usual and the Coast Guard Auxilliary let them know that they were on a race course and should move. I didn't hear any griping near us but I'm sure there was some but they all either went in or moved up bay and we had racing all afternoon.

On Sunday word had gotten out that we were racing again and there were very few crabbers around. But as we were setting up the committee boat and course markers, one salty old crabber moved right into the finish line area and started dropping pots. One salty sailor sidled her boat up next to the crabber and let him know about the regatta, our Coast Guard permit, finish line, etc. Salty Crabber got salty with the Salty Sailor and so she just sidled away and said "have a great day crabbing".

Sailboats were soon everywhere around us getting ready to race. Dodging the little crabber and his pots and then one fast sailor, a Santana 20 I think, went by fast and then just like in the cartoons slowed to a halt like it snagged a rubber band. It went slinging back ward and a crew member deftly reached overboard and sliced the buoy line. Off they went, away went the buoy and off went Salty Crabber's short fuse. He pulled up his pots and went off to find a CG Aux boat to gripe to. They told him he was warned, there's a race, a permit, etc. Problem solved.

I wouldn't advocate it on non-race day, but it worked yesterday. I'm pretty sure the S20 did it intentionally too because the crew member with the knife was too quick to cut the line for it to be unintentional.
Old 10-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brilliant!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
That's too bad. If that was typical commercial crab gear, the guy is probably out almost $300. If he was using a floating line, I would say he was partially negligent.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-12-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
I'm not a racer for the most part, but it seems to me we need to hold a lot more of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
"Recreational" crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
That's too bad. If that was typical commercial crab gear, the guy is probably out almost $300. If he was using a floating line, I would say he was partially negligent.
Salty Crabber is a "recreational" crabber. Since he was warned that racing sailboats in a regatta with a CG permit were using the area for a finish line, I think he was willfully negligent. He was lucky he didn't injure someone's boat or crew. He still might be out $150 for the pot, line and buoy.

Last edited by MtHopeBay; 10-12-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Does the regatta permit gave the participants exclusive use of a particular patch of water?

While I would agree that the crabber was a jerk to exercise his state license permit to fish in a manner that interfered with the regatta's permited use of the same patch of water, I don't agree that taking the man's property to make the point is right. It's too bad folks on both sides behaved that way.

edit:

I just googled regatta permit. Interesting. A permit is required if you are going to have an event that presents a hazard to navigable waters. The crabber does not need a marine event permit, as he was already engaged in lawful conduct. So it's actually the regatta that is infringing and creating a hazard to other boaters, so much so that the government require them to get a permit.

Homeport:* Marine Event Permits.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 10-12-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
this is why i am mounting twin 50 cal's on my boat with remote triggers. i plan on sinking the floats before i get to em.

oh wait this is not the "do you pack a gun" thread.

personally everybody has rights to the water, the crabber has rights too. but he was inconsiderate to not move the pots, and got what karma dictated.
Old 10-12-2009

AlanP39Yawl is on a distinguished road
Middle River is crab pot central. Even in the marked "float free" channels. I try to avoid them, but if i snag one I usually have to cut it off.
Old 10-13-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

ssneade will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K View Post
I'm not a racer for the most part, but it seems to me we need to hold a lot more of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that particular crabber was an a$$hole. he was given prior knowledge of the race and chose to do what he did. in so doing, he got what he deserved. especially if only a "recreational crabber". but, my advice is not to go around cutting corks just because they're in your way. most of those guys are out there to make a living and don't take too kindly to such behavior. good thing there was a cg official nearby, else there could've been a different outcome. being a waterman from years gone by, i know situations like that can become ugly. so, use caution.......
Old 10-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In certain parts of Maine, a shotgun is often a response to someone cutting pot buoys...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.