Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2002

ianl is on a distinguished road
Tipping

My wife & I are taking the ASA Bareboat course in a few weeks. Is it customary to tip the instructor and how much?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road
Tipping

Yes, I think it is appreciate to tip the instructor. Again as with any tipping it should be in relationship to the service provided and somewhat on the duration.

We took an ASA class in Florida. Seven day trip, four students, my wife, myself and two other gentlemen. We had a great time as well as a great learning experience. The instructor was almost just one of the crew, he helped with meals, clean up etc., asked us what we would like the emphasis on and made sure that each one of us, all with a great variance of experience came away with something worth wild. He and I made an agreement that we would not let my wife depend on me through out the trip. It really worked out well. My wife came away with a much stronger belief in her ability.

He was a great instructor, extremely experienced sailor, and wonderful captain. At the end of the trip we tipped him about 15% per person. ($150.00).
On another ASA course I took, the instructor was a very experienced sailor, taught us quite a bit but was some what of a jurk. What made the trip was the course, the sailing and the rest of the crew. At the end of the trip we tipped the captain $50.00 per person, all agreed it would have been more if his attitude was better.
I also think it is dependant on what you can afford. I think even a small tip if given with gratitude will be accepted with the same.

Good Luck, and remember no matter how long you''ve been sailing it is a class, you''re not suppose to know everything. Learn from all aboard.

John_/)_/)_/)
Old 12-28-2002

msl is on a distinguished road
Tipping

John, would you be willing to recommend a school that you liked?
msl
Old 12-30-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road
Tipping

We sailed with Blue Water sailing school in Florida for our beginning ASA courses. I think we got two courses completed in the week, since I and my wife had experience. I''d never done so many man over board drills and jibs in my life. But the other two were somewhat new to sailing and those were the things they wanted to learn. In stead of sailing down the ICW farther we the group voted to stay at Monkey Point an extra night. The next day we did man overboard drills, jibed, and hoved to. One late afternoon on the way back we got into an anchorage had some docking drills and then proceeded to learn to motor in reverse. The captain had us doing circles in reverse through out the anchorage, in and around all those who were anchored. Must have looked pretty funny but great practice.
We had the opportunity to meet a couple of other captains during our trip since we sailed with two other groups for part of the way. I would say all were experienced and each group had a great time. Our captain was contract only when they got very busy. The other two we met I believe were hired for the entire winter. Boats were older but in good shape.

I used the Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanship for my advanced ASA course. Tom Tursi runs a great school, great courses, very experienced captains, and very good reviews from everyone I''ve spoken with who have used them. I did the DELVARMA trip which gave us some ocean experence. For a great lakes sailor it was my first, except from Fort Lauderdale to Miami durring the Blue water course. I will never forget the great time we had ocean sailing at night. It was so peacefull and beautiful. Goes down as one of my most memorable sails. They have a Great web site mdschool.com . You can read sailing logs of trips during the year written by the captains. Tom uses only Island Packets. I plan on using them again for my offshore ASA. Just have to find someone in Michigan who teaches Celestial Navigation. I would recomend them highly.

Good Luck

John_/)_/)_/)
Old 01-20-2003

youngpoodah is on a distinguished road
Tipping

I returned from a trip with the maryland school of sailing and seamanship just two weeks ago in the virgin islands. While there I also met two other students from the blue water school. I was there to get my 101 103 and 104 certifications. It both learned a lot from the captain Jeff (I won''t try his last name) and had a good vacation away from virginia where I live. It was aboard there IP 45 Halmeida a very nice boat. For me it was a great way to get big boat experience (I own a flicka) and relax all at the same time. I''m just trying to figure out how to get back there now. All in all it was a great experience and I can highly recomend the school.