Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Abaco Charter in February!

We took the plunge at the Annapolis show this year, and booked a charter in the Abacos for the February school break. Yeah, I know, it might be on the cooler side if a cold front blows through that week, but we are beholden to the school break window, so it is what it is. Besides, compared to NY in February it's going to feel hot no matter what the temp in the Bahamas.

We're very excited. I've sailed in the Exumas (with friends), but never in the Abacos. We also are chartering a cat (Leopard 40), and I don't have tons of experience on them, so we're looking forward to sailing on the level!

Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions or ideas, let 'em fly. And if you're going to be in the Abacos in February, let us know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Visited Abaco by plane, ended up staying ten days due to snow (at home, airports closed). Stayed in Marsh Harbor, very nice, friendly. Have fun, meet people.
Old 10-14-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
We usually go through the Abacos every second year on our way home. It is ideal for a charter as opposed to the Exumas. If you like nightlife and restaurants, there's lots there. If you like quiet anchorages you'll have to go north of Whale Cay Cut. Being a cat you might be able to do the inside passage and not have to worry about getting back if the Cut is acting up.

I prefer the quieter places so the northern cays appeal to me more than the "hub" area around Marsh Harbour and Hopetown. But for first timers Man-o-War and Hopetown are must sees.

There are lots of charter boats sailing south of "the Whale" but once you get north of Green Turtle it's a lot quieter. So whatever you're looking for, you'll probably find it in the Abacos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We usually go through the Abacos every second year on our way home. It is ideal for a charter as opposed to the Exumas. If you like nightlife and restaurants, there's lots there. If you like quiet anchorages you'll have to go north of Whale Cay Cut. Being a cat you might be able to do the inside passage and not have to worry about getting back if the Cut is acting up.

I prefer the quieter places so the northern cays appeal to me more than the "hub" area around Marsh Harbour and Hopetown. But for first timers Man-o-War and Hopetown are must sees.

There are lots of charter boats sailing south of "the Whale" but once you get north of Green Turtle it's a lot quieter. So whatever you're looking for, you'll probably find it in the Abacos.
Interesting. I really want to go to Green Turtle, so I'm sure we'll brave The Whale, unless the weather for the whole week turns out terrible, which I guess is possible if a nasty prolonged front comes through.

Old 10-14-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
"Don't rock passage"....

inside Whale Cay is no big deal. Transit it an hour or so before high tide, the first time, if you are concerned. The charter companies try and prevent charter "guests" using it for obvious reasons.

Enjoy.

Old 10-14-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
Hubby and I went for our honeymoon in January. When we left home it was 14 degrees F.

Locals kept remarking on the cold (it was 70 degrees there) but we thought it was great.

We really liked Hopetown.

Old 10-14-2009

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Whale passage rage

Ships have been lost and people have died attempting the passages in a 'rage'

Quote:
A rage can shut this passage down for days
Old 10-15-2009

hutch5151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hutch5151
The Abaco's are great. When it's blowing from the North, go south to Little Harbour and Pete's pub. Wait until the front passes, the wind will clock around to the South and you can head back North to Hope Town, Great Guana and Marsh Harbour. Everything is inside and you don't have to worry about the rage at Whale Cay.