Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009

Mauryd is on a distinguished road
I've seen some major resto projects in progress at a shop last week. I was shown 2 big powerboats. A 38' go fast boat and a 30' Fishing boat.

They cut the aft end of the fishing boat right off about 3'-4' forward into the boat. They totally put back a new one on that they made and 2 huge outboards were hung on it. You would never know. Looks perfect.

The go fast boat had the whole bottom delam at high speed and sunk in California. These guys bought the salvage and toally reworked the transom and put a brand new bottom on her with with fiberglass mat, fiberglass cloth, resin, filler, gelcoat, and hard work. Looks brand new.

It's amazing what you can do with fiberglass.

I am doing some small hole repair on a Hobie 16 that I own. One's around softball sized. Then a couple of golfball sized holes as well. Very easy so far. They say the hard part is the prep. So I have that part all done. I start laying glass very soon. Hopefully next week.

I found a site called US Composites. They have very inexpensive resins, fillers, and gelcoat. Try them at: Fiberglass , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.. You can find great deals on fiberglass cloth on ebay. Search: "fiberglass cloth"

I'm telling everyone I know doing fiberglass repair about these guys. I have no idea if you are considering doing it yourself or not but you never know. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Maury
Night_Sailor likes this.

Last edited by Mauryd; 10-16-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A hole wouldn't stop me if the price was right and the damage wasn't too bad. Properly done there shouldn't be a way to tell in the future where the repair even was. A friend has Spencer 35 that was holed on the beach at Oak Bay in Victoria in the late 90's and the repair (by Blackline in Sidney) is indistinguishable
from the 43 year old original.
Here's a boat with a bit of damage you could probably pick up inexpensively - a little work and she'll look like new.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
would you buy a "holed" boat?-fixer-upper2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Brian- that looks like it's quickly turning into a reef for fish habitat
Denise- as others have said a hole that hasn't torn loose bulkheads or engine mounts or done damage to tanks etc is usually an easy and permanent repair. You would have to factor in the cost of painting at least one side of the hull if it had been previously painted and the hole was above waterline, and matching faded gelcoat is almost impossible to do perfectly so if above waterline there might be some cosmetic issues.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-16-2009
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
gee me thinks you guys have me wanting to find a hole in one! LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2009

No hole reportedly - just a weeping cutlass bearing that was ignored for a couple of decades.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
would you buy a "holed" boat?-fixer-upper2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009

Or perhaps you'd like something in more traditional wood construction.
Attached Thumbnails
would you buy a "holed" boat?-wood3.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009
Folkboat M26 "Sundancer"

SundancerKid is on a distinguished road
Our organisation turned the rusted out hulk lying on the bottom in the first picture back into the ship in the second picture. Anything is possible with time, money and a little skill.
Attached Thumbnails
would you buy a "holed" boat?-james-craig-lying-recherche-bay-1973-.jpg   would you buy a "holed" boat?-01-jc-sea-.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009

Mauryd is on a distinguished road
You should be able to fix up the wooden boat with 2 rolls of duct tape and 3 gallons of paint. I don't even think you could tell it was not new. Mind you, you will want to prep the surface really well. Maybe wash it or something...I don't know but the point is should'nt take more than $50 bucks. Looks like a bunch of minor cosmetic work to me.

Maury
Old 10-19-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
would you buy a "holed" boat?
No - it will cost so much money to repair properly that you could buy two or three other used boats instead. If you don't repair it properly you may well drown.
Old 05-27-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: would you buy a "holed" boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
No - it will cost so much money to repair properly that you could buy two or three other used boats instead. If you don't repair it properly you may well drown.
That is nonsense. Any fiberglass boat can be easily, EASILY, repaired. But I can understand why you would be frightened off. It takes some skill, as well as confidence, and more importantly gumption. If you are lacking in these, you would be better off hiring someone with these qualities.

Now let us consider cost, the other area where you are badly mistaken. First, you can find holed boats for NOTHING. So the cost to repair is your only cost. That is much less than buying two or three other used boats, which will also need work--that much is certain.

If anyone is considering repairing a damaged boat. Start with a smaller boat, and when you find out how easy or hard, depending on your point of view, you can decided to take on bigger jobs.

Let me make one more point. There are lots of boats that were not designed all the great, but you can make changes to them to make them great boats. For example, changing dead-lights to portlights, installing a spade rudder, lengthening a boat or adding a scoop transom.

So ignore the above poster. He is one of the "Can't do it people, who has to convince everyone else not to do something, simply because he can't." There is nothing you can't do, up to and including building a boat from scratch.