SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   would you buy a "holed" boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/58940-would-you-buy-holed-boat.html)

deniseO30 10-15-2009 11:23 AM

would you buy a "holed" boat?

there she is! beautiful! the lines, the colors, the engine, sails, ammenities... you walk around the other side.. then you realize why the price is so low! It looks like a fork lift speared the hull, just below the water line!

now what?

Siamese 10-15-2009 11:31 AM

Absolutely. Depends a bit on whether the hole is at a bulkhead or other critical component, but what you describe is not a difficult repair. Completed repair, done right, will be as strong as the original or stronger.

Reflected in purchase price, of course. Actually, unless there are circumstances preventing it, an owner interested in selling the boat would be nuts not to simply make repairs before listing the boat.

BluemanSailor 10-15-2009 11:34 AM

Depends on the boat -the size of the hole - why do you know of one???

captbillc 10-15-2009 11:43 AM

a friend of mine, who is in the boat repair business, bought a boat from the insurance co. that had been blown off the stands & had a 1 1/2 ft hole in the side. he repaired it & the boat was fine.

deniseO30 10-15-2009 12:29 PM

I'm just creating the hypothetical

scottyt 10-15-2009 05:35 PM

i did buy one with a hole. granted it was only scrubbed 50 % thru the glass over a foot by 18 inch area, cost to fix about 200 bucks

sailingdog 10-15-2009 09:26 PM

Depends on the construction of the boat, the size of the hole and the discount on the price... :)

blt2ski 10-15-2009 10:54 PM

Lets see here, Neptune Carr locally about 1.5 yrs ago, I might add the Carr is a SC70 with carbon or some such glass style hull. Literally had a hole 8'wide, 3-4' high made in the forward part of the boar. By a mid 20' power boat ramming it at about 30 knots! The Carr was out two weeks ago at my clubs big race of the year. Not sure if she managed to do swiftsure last memorial day, a 200 some odd mile race from Victoria to the seiftsure light boat at the mouth of the straight of Juan De Fuca and the pacific ocean. I'm pretty sure she got there......

It was close as to whether or not it could get fixed, but SC still had some molds, even tho they are not making that boat anymore.....things all worked out. even a hole that size!

Marty

SundancerKid 10-15-2009 11:55 PM

A friend of mine bought a boat that had spent some time on the bottom after an accident. He got a real good price. ;)

He then spent the next couple of years slowly refurbishing her inside and out in between the odd cruise and race until she was spotlessly gleaming end to end. Sadly, in the same body of water that she was originally sunk in, he one day happened to sail over an unmarked and disused oyster farm. The result was a large pole through the hull and another sinking. Luckily, this time she was refloated quickly.

He again repaired her and today she is still one of loveliest boats in the fleet and also one of the quickest. Club champion for some years. Last year he was run into by a much larger yacht who failed to give way and as a result my friend again had a hole, albeit this one is fairly small (a few inches across) and well above the water line. He continues to race with the hole covered in duct tape while he waits on a professional to repair it (at the other guys insurance company's expense!)

So based on that I'd say yes to your proposal, no reason why not - provided of course that I had the time and skills to repair the hole and/or the money to hire someone to do it.

Stillraining 10-16-2009 12:05 AM

Like people some boat just try and stay Holier the others..:p