Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
would you buy a "holed" boat?

there she is! beautiful! the lines, the colors, the engine, sails, ammenities... you walk around the other side.. then you realize why the price is so low! It looks like a fork lift speared the hull, just below the water line!

now what?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2009

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Absolutely. Depends a bit on whether the hole is at a bulkhead or other critical component, but what you describe is not a difficult repair. Completed repair, done right, will be as strong as the original or stronger.

Reflected in purchase price, of course. Actually, unless there are circumstances preventing it, an owner interested in selling the boat would be nuts not to simply make repairs before listing the boat.
Old 10-15-2009

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road
Depends on the boat -the size of the hole - why do you know of one???
Old 10-15-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
a friend of mine, who is in the boat repair business, bought a boat from the insurance co. that had been blown off the stands & had a 1 1/2 ft hole in the side. he repaired it & the boat was fine.
Old 10-15-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'm just creating the hypothetical

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i did buy one with a hole. granted it was only scrubbed 50 % thru the glass over a foot by 18 inch area, cost to fix about 200 bucks
Old 10-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on the construction of the boat, the size of the hole and the discount on the price...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Lets see here, Neptune Carr locally about 1.5 yrs ago, I might add the Carr is a SC70 with carbon or some such glass style hull. Literally had a hole 8'wide, 3-4' high made in the forward part of the boar. By a mid 20' power boat ramming it at about 30 knots! The Carr was out two weeks ago at my clubs big race of the year. Not sure if she managed to do swiftsure last memorial day, a 200 some odd mile race from Victoria to the seiftsure light boat at the mouth of the straight of Juan De Fuca and the pacific ocean. I'm pretty sure she got there......

It was close as to whether or not it could get fixed, but SC still had some molds, even tho they are not making that boat anymore.....things all worked out. even a hole that size!

Marty
Old 10-15-2009
Folkboat M26 "Sundancer"

SundancerKid is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine bought a boat that had spent some time on the bottom after an accident. He got a real good price.

He then spent the next couple of years slowly refurbishing her inside and out in between the odd cruise and race until she was spotlessly gleaming end to end. Sadly, in the same body of water that she was originally sunk in, he one day happened to sail over an unmarked and disused oyster farm. The result was a large pole through the hull and another sinking. Luckily, this time she was refloated quickly.

He again repaired her and today she is still one of loveliest boats in the fleet and also one of the quickest. Club champion for some years. Last year he was run into by a much larger yacht who failed to give way and as a result my friend again had a hole, albeit this one is fairly small (a few inches across) and well above the water line. He continues to race with the hole covered in duct tape while he waits on a professional to repair it (at the other guys insurance company's expense!)

So based on that I'd say yes to your proposal, no reason why not - provided of course that I had the time and skills to repair the hole and/or the money to hire someone to do it.
Old 10-16-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Like people some boat just try and stay Holier the others..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.