Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009

DCClancy is on a distinguished road
Question ?? Bruce Roberts ??

Hi, I'm new here and have a ??? I'm looking at a Roberts 64,steel, I have experance on an old 72 ft 12 meter & various 50 ft's . Been away from sailing for 20 yrs . Life dream to sail up & down the British Columbia coast .
What do you think of his designs ? This boat was built in '88.and is in good cond. Do I have my head in the clouds or ?? Any and all comments .......

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
A 64' steel boat is a lot of boat to maintain and probably sail too. Could you tell us what it is in more detail or post pics?
Brian
Old 10-19-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Bruce Roberts is well known for designing good quality cruising boats - just keep in mind he didn't build them. So the boat may be a good design but that doesn't mean it's a good boat.

I have friends that spent several years cruising with a Roberts 45 Charter steel ketch and they loved the boat with two exceptions: they always got there after everybody else (the boat was definitely sedentary as far as voyage times went) and they always remarked that they painted their way around the world (had endless issues with rust).

Don't know anything about the 64.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-19-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yes, Roberts designs were pretty much all amateur-built so you'll really have to approach this with both eyes open. A good one would be ideal for the BC coast, but as already pointed out, 64 feet is a LOT of boat.

Handling issues aside, everything will be heavier, longer, need to be stronger, and will cost more. Many times more than twice that of a 32 footer. That's a big project to be taking on. However it appears that you're used to big boats, so if this is a good one, maybe you've found a new home!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-19-2009

Roberts 64

First ... I'll try to get a pic on here, and YES I agree that this is alot of boat... the price could be right thou. around 120 K when the spray settles. She has been idle for thre yrs . the owneer/builder had a stroke and was unable to carry on.
I was in the Sea Cadets yrs. ago and when on the 12 meter helped the owner to give sailing lessons to others . We sailed her (two of us ) around the San Juans , around Victoria etc. Have done (as crew) one delivery from Coos Bay Oregon to Seattle , a 48 ft Ferro Cement , and two others as crew , both 48 ft.
The Roberts is set up for short handed sailing Cutter rig.
ASK ???/Users/daveclancy/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/5-Oct-09_2/1792629_1.jpg Photo thing noy working ???
Old 10-19-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Roberts has designed a lot of boats that people seem happy with, but I informally estimate that between one in six to one in eight of the 20 or so examples I've seen have NOT been either poorly built, overbuilt to the point of making a Westsail 32 look fast, or just funny looking.

I have seen about three that looked fast and were finished well. Because I now own a custom steel boat, I saw a lot of Roberts designs. Far too many of them were tied to docks or in cradles ashore for years at a time.

So I would strongly encourage you to have a STEEL BOAT surveyor go over the boat with a fine-toothed comb, and to have a sea trial on a day when you can start with 12 knots and finish with 25 to get a real sense of how she performs.

I hope the engine was pickled properly, because I wouldn't want to start that diesel without a lot of preparation, cleaning, oil and hydraulics fluid changes, new alt. belts and a tank of new fuel. Because lack of use and maintenance will kill a steel boat dead...I have the pictures to prove it of boats I inspected that were beauties painfully neglected.
Old 10-19-2009

Does it look like this design?
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
?? Bruce Roberts ??-1.jpg   ?? Bruce Roberts ??-2.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009

Her is some info ... I'm not stuck on this boat , so , feel free to persue, may the best man get her!

Welcome to Mount Seymour Yacht Sales
Yachts For Sale
SOLD Vessels! List your Boat with Us!
Granville Island Site & Map
Map to Granville Island
Email
Buyer's Agent Service

Click on image to enlarge
64' Bruce Roberts Custom Pilothouse Cutter

Year: 1988
Current Price: Can$ 189,000
Located in Richmond, BC
Hull Material: Steel
Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
YW# 23304-1792629

Other photos: Furling system, 2 of 6 solar panels, Salon looking fwd to guest sr, Galley, Helm , Fwd guest sr, Single bunk and companion way to master, Workshop, Master stateroom, Galley, Mast.

This cutter was built by the owner and designed by Bruce Roberts. She was built with great care and meticulous attention to detail. “Atlantis V” sailed her maiden voyage to Europe thus proving her offshore seaworthiness. The interior of the vessel was completed over a 3” layer of foam insulation and beautifully finished with teak and clear cedar.
PRICE REDUCTION... DUE TO AN ILLNESS THE OWNER HAS DECIDED TO SELL THE VESSEL

Contact Mount Seymour Yacht Sales.

1666 Duranleau Street
Granville Island
Vancouver, BC V6H 3S4 Canada
Toll-free 877-822-0356
Tel (604) 685-2898
Fax (604) 685-3944
Email Us
Mount Seymour Yacht Sales

1666 Duranleau Street
Granville Island
Vancouver, BC V6H 3S4, Canada
Toll-free 877-822-0356
Tel (604) 685-2898
Fax (604) 685-3944
Email Us
Mount Seymour Yacht Sales (Vancouver, BC)
Old 10-19-2009

here she is
Attached Thumbnails
?? Bruce Roberts ??-1792629_1.jpg   ?? Bruce Roberts ??-1792629_4.jpg   ?? Bruce Roberts ??-1792629_8.jpg   ?? Bruce Roberts ??-1792629_11.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009

Thanks

Thanks for getting those pic's on here .
I tryed sending a note to Mitiempo , but I do not have enough posts , Oh well,
Did you know Ralph Higgins , ? I sailed with him onboard the " Jenetta " in the early or mid 70's , for (if I remeber right ) 3 or 4 yrs . He and I would take her out often , and on Sundays take others out for sailing lessons. I learned alot more doing that! Also , Cliff White , from Maple Bay , onboard " Chevalier" , there I painted the whole interior just to go out a few times , worth evey moment !

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.