Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Liveaboards that still sail?

Hello,

So, I know there's a great difference between a liveaboard and a cruiser. I know liveaboards often turn into floating apartments, often too encumbered to sail.

That being said, the time is quickly coming for me to buy a home. I've been looking, but I can't afford a place close to the sea, not if I'm to stay in LA where my job is. I'm certainly not able, right now, to cut ties and just head off into the beyond. But I wonder if I could buy a boat, live on it, and use it to go sailing on weekends, or perhaps after work for short trips out to watch the sun go down.

Right now I have more crap than I have at any point in my life, almost enough to fill up a 10x10 room (including my bed, desk, etc) and even at this point, I think I own fewer things than most people I know. I'm in the process of cutting it all back down till I can put everything I own in my Scion. I've realized that the more crap I have, the more angst I have, and I seem to be happiest when the things I own can fit into a backpack, so I don't necessarily think the minimal living thing would be bad for me. Further, if I'm keeping my job, and living at the docks, the 20k I've got right now could go from a so so boat, to a down-payment on a rather nice boat.

It's just a thought, and I'm not looking to do anything for another 18 months at least, but it's a thought I'm entertaining, and I thought I might get some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks

-- James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
I had similar thoughts when I lived there. I'd say just cruise down to Marina Del Rey, spend some time looking at boats and talking to marinas about living aboard. See if there is space available, try to figure out what it will all cost as best you can, including yearly boat maintenance (tons of posts on here already about maintenance costs). Check out the awful traffic in that area Maybe it will make sense for you.

Personally I found it was too expensive versus an apartment, I didn't like the area, and I wasn't that keen on the sailing around MDR. I ended up leaving LA entirely and living on a boat in Washington BUT you should definitely check it out and see for yourself! There are plenty of people living aboard happily there!
Old 10-20-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We moved completely aboard for the summer. Never took us more than 15 minutes to prep for a sail. We went out at least once a week.

Pumpout needs made it imperative that we leave the dock at least every other week!
Old 10-20-2009

EastportRyan is on a distinguished road
I moved on board a little over 2 months ago and I go out about every other night. I figure that if you are going to live on a boat you might as well be able to actually use it! It was a great feeling-- downsizing from all the stuff one tends to accumulate when living on land.
Old 10-20-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
The liveaboards that are encumbered with all their stuff and are unable to sail might be more apparent. Liveaboard boats that are functioning may not appear to have someone livng aboard. We bought our first liveaboard boat in 1971 and we've never kept any storage ashore or even in a dock box. There is, as you recognized in your post, a great freedom in non-ownership. We've always been able to leave the dock in the time that it takes for the engine to warm,-'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends on you more than anything else. If you want to liveaboard and keep the boat sailable....then do it...if you don't take care to do that... then your boat will not be sailable at a moment's notice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-20-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
We've lived aboard and sailed for over 12 years. We're a little heavy on the "getting away from the dock quickly." Takes us a couple of hours - we didn't want to lose all of life's niceties (read:encumbrances). But that's just when we're in work mode.

We are (hopefully) permanently retired and are currently cruising. We very seldom pull into a dock except for fuel. We can pull up anchor and be underway at a moments notice. As I write this, we're underway in the Bogue Sound south of Beaufort, NC.

You can check out our blog if you're interested.

Cruising on Kanau

Have fun. Do as you please. Everything is up to you.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 10-20-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Thanks.

I'm rocking the day job and fairly happy. I stay a few hours after most nights to work on my side project which I like to think should free me up in a few years, and just in case, I'm still putting into the 401k etc, because, if nothing else, by that point I'll be able to go sailing on longer voyages.

I'd love for it to take off, and for me to have an income I could earn from anywhere I could get internet connectivity, but in the meantime, this is looking like a real option.

I'm going to take some time to go down to the docks this weekend and look around and talk to some people.

Thanks

-- James
Old 10-21-2009

SailorNate is on a distinguished road
Best of luck, I think that is the dream a lot chase, myself included. I lived aboard in Waikiki, went sailing at least once a week if not more. I did keep a storage unit ashore, my job requires a lot of equipment, so all the clutter of work stuff was ashore, as were most of my big tools, a 5x10 space allowed me to keep stuff organized as quick access was important(24/7 too) to me without having to dig thru a floor to ceiling stack.

Some things where a pain, like trying to do any big projects, but the work around was a large work yard and covered bench area I got access to by joining a local YC. That helped a lot.

My advice? If you love the water and you are by yourself (no dependants/spouse) jump in, you wont regret it. The time I spent living on the transient row (800) at Ala Wai were some of the best of my life, I met awesome people, had a regular Friday/Saturday night dock get together with the most interesting people I have ever met.

Nate

Last edited by SailorNate; 10-21-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2009

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNate View Post
Best of luck, I think that is the dream a lot chase, myself included. I lived aboard in Waikiki, went sailing at least once a week if not more. I did keep a storage unit ashore, my job requires a lot of equipment, so all the clutter of work stuff was ashore, as were most of my big tools, a 5x10 space allowed me to keep stuff organized as quick access was important(24/7 too) to me without having to dig thru a floor to ceiling stack.

Some things where a pain, like trying to do any big projects, but the work around was a large work yard and covered bench area I got access to by joining a local YC. That helped a lot.

My advice? If you love the water and you are by yourself (no dependants/spouse) jump in, you wont regret it. The time I spent living on the transient row (800) at Ala Wai were some of the best of my life, I met awesome people, had a regular Friday/Saturday night dock get together with the most interesting people I have ever met.

Nate

You've got to keep an eye on those Wakiki liveaboards, I sold my last boat to one, and he sank it 2 weeks later! (inside joke) (By the way, Nate I have a shipment of gin and "Old Ironsides" pipe tobacco for you!)

If you are single, there is no reason you can't liveaboard with a reasonable standard of living, and get underway regularly. A storage unit for overflow helps take the pressure off of trying to cram everything onboard. It's really a question of what amenities you are willing to do without (things like washers and dryers, etc). If you have a spouse who can get by on board as well, more power to you, but I find that 300 sq/ft worth of living space fills quickly.

It's a good lifestyle, but you are right to dig in a littel deeper before you take the plunge. You may also want to talk with a bank to see if they will finance you for a liveaboard. For some reason that makes a differecne to them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.