Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
My YC race, oct 10th

I just had to share this! I was not there nor was my boat. But, those of you in the east may remember that Saturday as quite blustery and winds kicking 40 or so. Enjoy! YouTube - Anchor Cup 2009

This area of the river is narrow, they were moving ! You will see Catlina 30s, hunter 33s, oday 25, pearson 31, Endevor 33, the club website has some aerial views of the river in front of it to give you an idea how narrow it is.

And People say sailing on the tidal Delaware above Philly is bad... oh! are they missing the fun! Anchor Yacht Club - Home Page

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
We were motor sailing on the Hudson that day, Oct. 10th. Essentially motored into 20 - 30 knot winds going up and covered 20 nm., just south of West Point. Fortunately, we lost our main halyard up the mast during one attempt to sail a little. I say fortunately because by the time we decided to head back south there was so much wind that we still reached hull speed with only the full genoa flying. The reason we decided to turn around before reaching our intended destination some 35 nm. up river was mostly because of the halyard mishap but fortunately we did not need the main and with those gusts that might have come close to 40 knots in the narrow valleys of the Hudson we would have been more prone to rounding up or a knock down. As it was our 27' Tartan (3 - 1/2 tons) was behaving more like a dinghy sailor in those gusts.
What a ride!
Friends of ours at our club (Nyack Boat Club) raced in a regatta on their 30' Catalina tall rig and bent their boom during an accidental jibe. The northerly winds were intense that day and quite gusty.
Nice video of sailing on the Delaware above Philly.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
It's a shame our season got cut short because of dredging. oh well.

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-22-2009

kgs113 is on a distinguished road
seems a few videos were shot that weekend. Here are some quickies from our lake:

YouTube - Oneida Lake sailing 10/11/2009

YouTube - Oneida Lake October 2009

YouTube - SV Prevailing Oneida Lake Sailing Club
Old 10-22-2009

ericread is on a distinguished road
Denise;

Nice video. Looks like you had a great day on the water!

Eric
Old 10-23-2009

sigmasailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I just had to share this! I was not there nor was my boat. But, those of you in the east may remember that Saturday as quite blustery and winds kicking 40 or so. Enjoy!
40 what?; I guess you refer to knots?

Looks like a nice breeze 3-4 Bft max. to me.
Completely flat water, full mains en genua's look more like max 15 knots of wind.

Believe me, if that were a real 40 knots of wind (I think that is the usual unit) you would get a little different picture of the happening.

The video's a bit further down the topic show some more wind and waves but still no breaking water also suggesting no more than a perfect 15 knots.
Old 10-23-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I don't care what the water looked like, but those pics show 15 knots or less of breeze. Great day to sail, but no one is flying a 150 w/ a full main in 40 knots.
Old 10-23-2009
1934 Chickering

Lighten up guys. geeze

My boat is for sale.

Old 10-23-2009

sigmasailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
And your point Sig? Believe you? You were there? Suddenly I have to "prove" things? You only saw about 4 mins of the race. The conditions deteriorated later in the race, boats were getting knocked down and rounding up. there was an accident also. So, "Beleive me" your remarks were unsolicited and not necessary! Geeze!
Wow, I must have hit something sensitive there? I expected to see some spectacular sailing in 40 knots conditions and all I saw was some comfortable sailing in a nice breeze. All I really asked is what unit you used when stating 40.

This reaction is what we (in Holland) like to call 'kort lontje', this translates in 'short fused'.

No, I wasn't there and didn't need to be there to be sure that 40 knots in relation to the vid was a 'little' (at least 25) over the top.

If you feel personally offended I do apologize; although I do not understand why you should feel offended.
Old 10-23-2009
1934 Chickering

Because Sig, it's common practice on forums like to this for some people to find fault with everything. Even Caleb mentioned the conditions were bad up north. Personally I really enjoyed the vid and took it just as that, fun to watch. "Saturday as quite blustery and winds kicking 40 or so." I used the word "kicking" (infering gusty)

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.