SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My YC race, oct 10th

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ottos 
#1 · (Edited)
I just had to share this! I was not there nor was my boat. But, those of you in the east may remember that Saturday as quite blustery and winds kicking 40 or so. Enjoy! YouTube - Anchor Cup 2009

This area of the river is narrow, they were moving ! You will see Catlina 30s, hunter 33s, oday 25, pearson 31, Endevor 33, the club website has some aerial views of the river in front of it to give you an idea how narrow it is.

And People say sailing on the tidal Delaware above Philly is bad... oh! are they missing the fun! Anchor Yacht Club - Home Page

#2 ·
We were motor sailing on the Hudson that day, Oct. 10th. Essentially motored into 20 - 30 knot winds going up and covered 20 nm., just south of West Point. Fortunately, we lost our main halyard up the mast during one attempt to sail a little. I say fortunately because by the time we decided to head back south there was so much wind that we still reached hull speed with only the full genoa flying. The reason we decided to turn around before reaching our intended destination some 35 nm. up river was mostly because of the halyard mishap but fortunately we did not need the main and with those gusts that might have come close to 40 knots in the narrow valleys of the Hudson we would have been more prone to rounding up or a knock down. As it was our 27' Tartan (3 - 1/2 tons) was behaving more like a dinghy sailor in those gusts.
What a ride!
Friends of ours at our club (Nyack Boat Club) raced in a regatta on their 30' Catalina tall rig and bent their boom during an accidental jibe. The northerly winds were intense that day and quite gusty.
Nice video of sailing on the Delaware above Philly.

#6 ·
I just had to share this! I was not there nor was my boat. But, those of you in the east may remember that Saturday as quite blustery and winds kicking 40 or so. Enjoy!
40 what?; I guess you refer to knots?

Looks like a nice breeze 3-4 Bft max. to me.
Completely flat water, full mains en genua's look more like max 15 knots of wind.

Believe me, if that were a real 40 knots of wind (I think that is the usual unit) you would get a little different picture of the happening.

The video's a bit further down the topic show some more wind and waves but still no breaking water also suggesting no more than a perfect 15 knots.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Wow, I must have hit something sensitive there? I expected to see some spectacular sailing in 40 knots conditions and all I saw was some comfortable sailing in a nice breeze. All I really asked is what unit you used when stating 40.

This reaction is what we (in Holland) like to call 'kort lontje', this translates in 'short fused'.

No, I wasn't there and didn't need to be there to be sure that 40 knots in relation to the vid was a 'little' (at least 25) over the top.

If you feel personally offended I do apologize; although I do not understand why you should feel offended.

#10 ·
Because Sig, it's common practice on forums like to this for some people to find fault with everything. Even Caleb mentioned the conditions were bad up north. Personally I really enjoyed the vid and took it just as that, fun to watch. "Saturday as quite blustery and winds kicking 40 or so." I used the word "kicking" (infering gusty)

#11 ·
OK, so you assume I am one of those 'some people' and react like you did?
Not very nice I think. Personally I thought the vid was just boring and maybe suitable for home viewing only; why people who have no relation with the vid should find it enjoyable is beyond me.

Anyway, I have learned today that 'some people' are easily offended and 'some people' always want to fault everything. I can assure you I do not fit in any of those categories. Case closed as far as I am concerned.

#12 ·
I am constantly amazed on how you people race on rivers. What are the depths at the river's edge? Do you guys engage in tacking duels? In the film clip, I didn't see much in the way of covering on the race course. What are you guys - a bunch of Corinthians and gentlemen? Last weekend was our last race of the season when we were invited to the "Race of Champions", a three race regatta for the leaders of all the PHRF and OD fleets of the YRA summer series. Even though we had an excellent HDA series and placed third in the BBS, we fell apart in the last race, finishing in the middle of the fleet for the regatta. I have to cool my heels until next February for the start of the 2010 double hand season in the family Catalina. In the photo below, we are the boat in the middle flying "Marilynn". Winds were everything from calm to about 20 kts, depending where the fog bank was that day.

#13 ·
George it's fun when the winds right, but terrible most of the time The river has a controlled depth of around 50ft in the channel, Our club is on a particularly narrow stretch across from Burlington island. When the boats come out of the narrow part they get hit pretty hard from the gusts. some guys just don't know the word "reef" and I don't think they ever would in a race anyway. at the docks we have good depths of about 9 ft at low tide. Tacking is the key to river sailing for sure. The best part of it for me is the closeness to my house, less then 10mins. When we have the time we can make it to Chesapeake or Delaware bay in a day. But evening and weekends are OK for a few hours sail or just to be on the water. Belonging to the network of YCs all the way to the head of the bay is a great safety net too.

#14 ·
GeorgeB,
Where we do our 'beer can' Weds. night races the river is about 3 miles wide and straight for about 10 miles. After wind conditions the current is a major factor to contend with as the current can be over 2 knots at full ebb which adds just another layer of strategy and complexity. Winds tend to be extremely fluky with some high (200') cliffs nearby. Ocean racing it is not but it's what we've got!
Sailboats always look great when flying their colourful spinnakers. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.