SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Plastic pollution (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/59229-plastic-pollution.html)

chris_gee 10-25-2009 09:51 AM

Plastic pollution

There is a series of photos of the tens of thousands of albatross chicks reportedly dying each year at Midway Island after being feed plastic picked up as food by their parents. Bottle tops are common. Makes you wonder what else is being killed. Ho hum, yeah we know about pollution, but take a look at the dramatic pictures and see for yourself. current work

eherlihy 10-25-2009 10:35 AM

More on the source of the plastic here :Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have read elsewhere that there is NO WAY that man would ever be able to clean up the mess, as it covers too large an area, and that there is too much crap to pick up.

MoonSailer 10-25-2009 11:00 AM

Plastic containers should be outlawed or at least a substanial deposit to ensure recycling. As a kid I made money collecting glass bottles for reuse. If all plastic containers had a 20 cent deposit almost every one would be recycled. All of those plastic water bottles floating around would instantly be converted from trash to treasure.

poopdeckpappy 10-25-2009 04:36 PM

I would research this a little more, these kinds of claims have been going on since the mid 80's. The Wildlife Diseases Research Center researched this back in the late 80's and disputed the claims saying that dehydration from lead based items was the leading cause and that human activity (vehicular trauma) at Midway Atoll represented additive mortality for pre-fledgling albatrosses.

I'm discussed by the crap in our waters as much as anyone but, with the history of embelishing, exploting and outright fabrications to further a agenda, one has to wonder about the credibility of the story.

Think in terms of the Linx, spotted owl and desert tortise, all of which have been proven to be based on a agenda ( with a side order of fabrication ) and not facts
</VARDEF>

citation34 10-25-2009 04:46 PM

Good for you, Poop. Common sense doesn't appear often enough in these agenda driven times. Gullibility prevails.

Mark
~~~_/)~~~

Idpnd 10-25-2009 05:19 PM

Yes I agree. We should just dump lots more plastic rubbish in the ocean to annoy the agenda conspiracists. And drive around in circles to see about that "global warming" nonsense as well.

poopdeckpappy 10-25-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idpnd (Post 535392)
Yes I agree. We should just dump lots more plastic rubbish in the ocean to annoy the agenda conspiracists. And drive around in circles to see about that "global warming" nonsense as well.

And here we go :( I guess we should just believe it because it's on the internet and because of the disclaimer

" not a single piece of plastic in any of these photographs was moved, placed, manipulated, arranged, or altered in any way. "

Did you know that with all the studies done on all the Albatross species on Midway atoll not one mentions plastic ingestion as a leading cause of death, they do mention Building lights, Airplane strikes, electric lines and even drowning in heavy rain and flooded nest, but not plastic

But that's not the point, the point is " research it " yourself and quit believing everything you read on the internet

poopdeckpappy 10-25-2009 05:44 PM

Just a observation; the story claims 10's of 1000's are killed each yr; look up the Albatross population on the atoll and ask yourself, could this be a exageration ???

Idpnd 10-25-2009 06:00 PM

The Albatross seems to be in on the great Albatross conspiracy as well.. I just don't get the underlying motivation.. Would you care to elaborate?

SundancerKid 10-25-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_gee (Post 535318)
There is a series of photos of the tens of thousands of albatross chicks reportedly dying each year at Midway Island after being feed plastic picked up as food by their parents. Bottle tops are common. Makes you wonder what else is being killed. Ho hum, yeah we know about pollution, but take a look at the dramatic pictures and see for yourself. current work

...remembering of course that Chris Jordan claims himself to be an artist not a scientist. So allowing that he has not manipulated the photos as he claims, do we know he is interpreting the evidence correctly? For instance, could it be that the plastic is being used as nesting material rather than food?