Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Twin Cities Metro/MN Sailors

Any body else out there from "da cities"? Wondering how many stay local, where do you go, how you get through the winter, etc... I got my ASA 101 on Minnetonka. I am new to the whole sailing thing and looking for folks in the area who may want to go day sailing in the warmer months. I am a member of a boat club on Minnetonka so I have boat access.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2009

NateCP16 is on a distinguished road
Check out the Twin Cities Sailing Meetup (Twin Cities Sailing Meetup (Minneapolis, MN) - Meetup.com. I haven't met up with any of them (I like sailing solo or with my wife), but they seem like good people.
Old 10-27-2009

aerie is on a distinguished road
Northern Lights Sailing Club

When I lived in the Twin Cities, I went to Northern Lights Sailing Club meetings. They usually have a speaker at these meetings. I have also participated in group charters with other club members. Here's a link to their web site: Northern Lights Sailing Club

The Minneapolis boat show has less for sailors than powerboaters, but for a mid-winter sailing fix, the last weekend in January in Chicago is the Strictly Sail show, the largest indoor all-sailboat show in the US, held at Navy Pier. You can take the train from St. Paul or fly to Chicago and take the train from O'Hare to the loop since you won't need a car once you get there. Here's the link to the show's web site: Official site of the Strictly Sail Chicago

I'm assuming you took your class on Lake Minnetonka from Northern Breezes Sailing School. You might want to check out their winter classes in the Caribbean where you can get your Basic Cruising and Bareboat Charter certifications. http://www.northernbreezesschool.com

Stay warm! I'm heading for the Caribbean in a few days myself...

Captain Gail
Old 10-27-2009
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Capt. Gail - Yes I did take my class at Nothern Breezes and if I could afford it I would be heading to the Carribean this winter. Going to do that next winter I hope. I will check out the Northern Lights Club link. I am a member of the boat club at Shorewood Yacht Club but ran out of time to get on the water this year, started a bit late. Though I am currently doing my Coastal Navigation class. Thanks for the info on Chicago as well! Enjoy your time in the Carribean and be sure to give an update.

Nate - I will be checking out the meetup group as well, thanks for the info!

Anyone else out there from the cities, I am basically a solo sailor and looking to find folks to get out with. Drop me a note here. Want to build my experience.