Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Pirates 'seize UK yacht couple'

Just saw this one on the BBC News this morning

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Pirates 'seize UK yacht couple'

Rik
Old 10-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'm sorry - I just don't get it. Why does one choose to sail through those waters? I guess it's always a gamble regardless - but pick a game with better odds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2009

legarots is on a distinguished road
Interesting, I thought they only went after larger ships...
Old 10-27-2009

DropTop is on a distinguished road
Another article about it...
British Couple Hijacked by Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

Old 10-27-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wasn't there another younger couple a few months ago that got snagged? Maybe French? I think one of them was killed when commandos stormed the boat to rescue them.

Those Soms will go after anything that will bring in a few bucks.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-28-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm sorry - I just don't get it. Why does one choose to sail through those waters? I guess it's always a gamble regardless - but pick a game with better odds.
Smack,

I think the answer to this is simply routing. Once you get to certain points in the world it is natural that you will have to make a decision about which way you are going to go, and from the Indian ocean you either have to go around South Africa or through the Suez, you don't really have a choice about it, and the Suez is certainly easier if you're going to the Med. It isn't just hard to go around the waters the Somali pirates are in, it is incredibly challenging to go around, the area essentially covers the route that everyone almost has to go. It is no small area to try to go around and the fact that the route is dangerous causes routing problems as far back across the ocean as Australia when people are planning which way they will sail to get back to the U.S. and Europe from the South Pacific.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-28-2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-28-2009

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
These Num nuttz are incredably Stupid IMHO.
Why go
ANYWHERE near thos crazy nut balls in Somolia.
These Pirats Know, nobodys going to do anything about it. How many ships are they going to take and How many times has ANYone done anything, a Couple ???
Thing is, they Know where these scumbags are working from. Send a Cruise into their window as a wake up call..
Does ANYbody have a few DDs patroling that area. Hell, reactivate some old PT boats and go in there and Hunt them down till they get the hint.
Untill then, anyone getting taken by these lowlife dirtbags is STUPID.

Natural Selection , id say

Old 10-28-2009

kairetu is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, Superpickle, I suspect that this couple's family and friends have another view. They were picked up leaving the Seyshelles which is quite a distance from Somali shores. They probably didn't think the risk was quite as high. Most people tend to organise convoys if sailing through Suez and in high risk waters. This couple were sailing towards Tanzania so they were a little out of the highest risk areas. Not stupid. Very unlucky.
Old 10-28-2009

Moodyjim is on a distinguished road
Yes some of the comments above are written without coherent thought. The couple were heading well south of the normal Somalia pirate area towards Tanzania (which is a peaceful country) and were not to know that there was a pirate boat on the hunt not so far from the Seychelles where they apparently failed in an attack on another ship of some sort. Apparently the recent improvement in weather conditions together with the improved protection provided further north is encouraging the assholes to try much further south than before. Superpickle's comments are correct in assessing the humanity of the pirates but worthless and childish with reference to the fairly elderly couple who are not rich.
Old 10-29-2009

yellowwducky is on a distinguished road
Dang, thats a bit worrying.

I don't own a boat but I am working on my plan for getting one to do a circumnavigation. My 'plan' for route to avoid the mess near Somalia would be to do Sri Lanka/Maldives then south to Diego Garcia and then over to Seychelles. From there due south to Madagascar - maybe cutting around the west near Glorioso Islands but possibly staying east and just going to Mauritius and then around the southern point of Madagascar.

This I would have thought would be ideal for keeping away from the craziness of Somalia. Now one would almost need to be thinking Diego Garcia direct to Mauritius so you don't get anywhere near the problem - and I bet its not ideal sailing locale but I would rather risk bad weather than an extended 'visit' with Somalian 'hosts'.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.