SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Caribbean 1500 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/59301-caribbean-1500-a.html)

aerie 10-27-2009 12:57 PM

Caribbean 1500

The 20th annual Caribbean 1500 rally is scheduled to leave Hampton, VA on November 2. The offshore passage to the British Virgin Islands will take 8 to 14 days. I will be crewing on Joy For All again this year. The fleet will have GPS transponders aboard so you can follow our progress on the website: Cruising Rally Association | Offshore sailing - Adventure, Camaraderie, Competition

Are there any other Sailnet members planning to participate in the Caribbean 1500?

Lookin4Freedom 10-27-2009 04:41 PM

I would love to take part. Probably not in the cards this year however. Last year I had solid plans, but was denied time off from work. This year, they're making us take off without pay. Funny how things change. I always tempt myself by saying I could just show up in Hampton and someone would be glad to take me aboard as crew for the passage.

aerie 10-27-2009 09:46 PM

There is always someone looking for last-minute crew due to business or family crisis or health reasons. In fact, the first time I did the 1500 I was matched to a boat just 2 days before we left Hampton. I was asked to come back the next year as captain, so I guess the owner was happy with his last-minute crew choice. So, if you have the time, come on down. There are social gatherings in the evenings starting Thursday night, and if you let Steve Black know you are available, he'll announce it to the skippers at the morning briefing.

night0wl 10-27-2009 10:39 PM

Interesting...only a couple of boats under 40 feet...a Cal and an Island Packet.

Lots of "production" boats (Beneteau, Jeanneau & Catalina)...but on the larger end of the spectrum (40ft +)

Why such a focus on large cruisers for this rally?

Yado 10-27-2009 10:58 PM

Larger Boats Are Faster

I think one of the objectives is to have the boats arrive within a day or so of each other (or several days). A party and awards ceremony takes place and at time the boats under 40 feet have had difficulty arriving in time, which makes it more difficult to manage the fleet. Also, if the smaller boats can't stay within a reasonable distance of the fleet, they'll be out of range if they need assistance. I think those are several points that factor into why the fleet is kept at or above 40' in length; it's speed dependent.

aerie 10-28-2009 09:58 AM

Smaller boats are welcome, but...

You are exactly right. In the past the smaller boats were not able to keep up and the fleet became separated. Smaller boats are allowed to participate with prior approval from the rally organizers, primarily Steve Black. For example, my C&C 33 MkII (with her previous owner) participated in the Caribbean 1500 in 1996. But then, when racing I am competing against 44-foot boats with a PHRF rating of 132.

killarney_sailor 10-28-2009 03:39 PM

Also cost reasons

Quote:

Originally Posted by night0wl (Post 536165)
Interesting...only a couple of boats under 40 feet...a Cal and an Island Packet.

Lots of "production" boats (Beneteau, Jeanneau & Catalina)...but on the larger end of the spectrum (40ft +)

Why such a focus on large cruisers for this rally?

If someone is on a tight budget, as we are, the Caribbean 1500 is pricey by the time you pay the entry, dockage and extra social charges for crew. If someone has a bigger, more expensive boat they are more likely to be willing to pay for the rally. If cost were not an issue I think there would be enough boats in the 35 to 40 foot range to provide a secondary 'fleet' to keep in touch with one another.

I saw on the rally website that the average (median?) length of the entrants is 47 feet. Getting up there.

night0wl 10-28-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 536324)
If someone is on a tight budget, as we are, the Caribbean 1500 is pricey by the time you pay the entry, dockage and extra social charges for crew. If someone has a bigger, more expensive boat they are more likely to be willing to pay for the rally. If cost were not an issue I think there would be enough boats in the 35 to 40 foot range to provide a secondary 'fleet' to keep in touch with one another.

I saw on the rally website that the average (median?) length of the entrants is 47 feet. Getting up there.

From the blogs and interviews I've read, these rallys started as a grass-roots way to provide a passage with guidance and protection offered by having a caravan...and introducing an aspect of competition to it all.

Its a shame that dollars and cents have changed this into yet another open ocean race where the entry criteria are catering to the deepest wallets...wonder if this is run as for profit or not for profit.