Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yes I have Novembers issue ...why?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009

Capt.Fred is on a distinguished road
OK, now back to dangerous animals at sea. Picture this, here you are, it's a beautiful warm evening, the setting sun and your dream of just gently sailing along under autopilot have really arrived. Your love is joyfully preparing dinner with that bottle of red. You are in the shower with your bottle of Dawn washing down with salt water, looking forward to that fresh water rinse. All of a sudden your body is on fire, you're covered by a rash, every inch of you, from your scalp, your nethers to your toes. Help!... OK, OK don't panic it's just one of those very possible occurences at sea. Just douse yourself with white vinegar, I even use ammonia, meat tenderizer, hot hot water. Take a Benadryl. The shock and pain will be over soon and some of the remedies I suggested may not actually be good for you, but they will make you feel better than the nematocysts that were stinging you. Also, Now it's your turn to start swilling that wine.
Many times we would sail thru swarms of different species of jelly fish and in clear tropical waters your can see thousands from the surface to great depths. They are usually almost evenly spaced glistening in the sunshine. Do not use your salt water tap at that time! The tiny nematacysts will clog up your filter, if you have one.

It is better to be a hasbeen, than a never hasbeen.
Old 11-10-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
From first-had experience, I would advise all you off-shore racers to not only paint your hull to look like an obese, clumsy, Japanese-speaking Orca - but to also post a chump in the cockpit to read "Latitude 38" missives very loudly through your kickin' transducers. That bores the hell out of any self-respecting sea creature.

We did all this during the infamously nocuous "HoHo-HumHum" race off of Madagascar in '87 and it saved our hides.

Here's what happened to the poor boat next to us who had not prepared as we had (notice that they were playing classical music in the background...to no avail):

It's clear by the video that it was an evil Baluga that sucked 'em under.

(PS - I'm ready for my interview)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-10-2009
Ventilation Guy

harryhoratio is on a distinguished road
Wow! Dangerous waters ahead but here goes anyway. I love Lattitude 38 and read it every month. I am also a Baja Ha Ha vet (2006). I also know the publisher of Lat 38 and I know the skipper of the J-Boat that went down. I also enjoy and appreciate Sailnet. Bottom line is I filter what I read in both cases and make up my own mind. Finally I have learned after 60 years of living that taking things personal only works when the attack is real and not just an opinion. The Ha Ha is great event with a huge amount of energy applied by Lattitude 38 towards the safety and education of many first time cruisers. Are there beach parties - of course - and they are a ton of fun. Do some sailors get out of line according to the standards of other sailors - yes. Is this encouraged by the Latitude 38 - no way. I look forward to the extended interview with the J-Boat skipper in the December issue of Latitude for what I can learn just as I read Sailnet for what I can learn.
Old 11-10-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhoratio View Post
Bottom line is I filter what I read in both cases and make up my own mind. Finally I have learned after 60 years of living that taking things personal only works when the attack is real and not just an opinion.
I completely agree with you harryho. Especially the bold part. And that's the point.

See, if the dude is going to start going off on people's opinions in a forum - saying that his intelligence is being drained by them as he reads....he obviously doesn't get out much.

I guess that's what was so goofy about his attempted write up. He's quoting (actually misquoting) casual conversation as if it's coming out of the Oval Office. It's a freakin' forum.

I too look forward to the interview. I'm sure there will be a lot to learn if he can just hold himself to asking intelligent questions. He just had a serious fail on this one.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-10-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
My thought is that the author took a bold risk in trying to make things like painting your boat as an Orca sound serious, because it is so obviously a joke that his readers will UN-distort what he said and know for themselves that it was a joke, leaving the author looking like he has Asberger's syndrome or something.

Please support my
Old 11-10-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Paint the bottom to look like a Physeter macrocephalus, that would get my attention! Of course you still might have an Orcinus orca problem.

There is no easy solution other than to build the boat tough enough to take the hit.
Old 11-10-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
Paint the bottom to look like a Physeter macrocephalus, that would get my attention! Of course you still might have an Orcinus orca problem.

There is no easy solution other than to build the boat tough enough to take the hit.

Physeter Macrocephalus if you wish but probably not a female.....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-10-2009

Capt.Fred is on a distinguished road
[quote=smackdaddy;540455]

We did all this during the infamously nocuous "HoHo-HumHum" race off of Madagascar in '87 and it saved our hides.

Here's what happened to the poor boat next to us who had not prepared as we had (notice that they were playing classical music in the background...to no avail):

Thatsa makes me surprised thata your hearing is shutting down, like most of my senses have years ago. I'm tryin to tell ya, Krakens don't like Disney whale music. But, myself being a chicken of the sea, think it's a good idea to calmly alert the whales that someting is getting closer as they sleep. I'm surprised no one questioned how does an air breathing mammal sleep at sea? Anyway after reading about few mariner encounters with 8 tenacled critters, I became even more paraniod so now I take along a kid's plastic water blaster gun loaded with nitrous amonia. I figure 1 shot in the eyeball should do it.

"nitrous amonia" That's what it said on the plastic jug when I got a good deal on it at the Summerdale Flea market.

Last edited by Capt.Fred; 11-11-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
I just heard from some guy at the Yacht Club that Seb Josse and JF Cuzon were airlifted from BT during the the TJV race after catastrophic structural failure.

The bartender speculated the boat was damaged during "unusually violent roughhousing about who overcooked the Orzo." Another guy said he heard on an internet discussion board the boat was attacked and repeatedly holed by a pack of narwhales, furious at British Telecom over lousy service.

But I think I know what really happened. BT was making way under #5 and double reefed main when they struck a soggy bundle of Latitude 38 magazines. The sheer weight of pretension tore their keel off. They activated their Epirb, updated their Facebook and Twitter ("OMG, wr snkng!"), and emptied the wine cellar while awaiting rescue.

If any of this is inaccurate, no doubt an encyclical from Pope LaDonna I will put my feet back on the path of righteousness.