Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010

XTR is on a distinguished road
I've honestly never really thought about "perfect" as in I hit the lottery and could have/afford anything I wanted.

if I did, I'd probably get Bob Perry to design me something, but it is possible that my perfect boat is out there, just in the over $500K range and I've never really looked.

Something that sails well, good stability but with center board for shallow places (East coast/Bahamas) Probably a ketch. I like the options a ketch offers, I know it's not as fast to windward but I'm not racing.

I'm 6'4" headroom is needed, big berth is demanded. (Crewed a delivery and slept on the deck for a week because the berth was just too damned short and narrow, this coming from a guy who rode subs for 4 yrs)

The Admiral wants a separate shower, with some kind of door, not a curtain.

Under 50ft so it can be easily handled by two, in all likely hood a center cockpit so that I can get the berth I want.

There are a couple of boats out there that are close. I've seen Oyster 435's that had most of it, Norseman 44 is pretty close (and a Perry), and the Dawn 48 isn't bad either. The Morgan N/M 454 is pretty good too, but the cockpit looks just too tiny for comfortable cruising.

Now take all of that and make it as beautiful as a Hinckley Bermuda 40.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
My ideal boat would be aluminum, about 45' to 50' plus with a transom stern and no overhangs. Very fine entry with probably 12 to 13 degrees half angle entry. The forefoot would be U shaped rather than V shaped so as not to dig in downwind. Fairly high freeboard with a very low house. Not too wide so the waterline is symetrical when heeled. Solid dodger. Draft about 6 1/2' max. Medium length fin keel. Rudder a balanced spade with a stock of solid aluminum and strong enough to bounce off the bottom without damage. Small swim grid aft with liferaft stored in a locker in the transom. Heavier plating along the waterline and for the bow for trips to the ice if I wished. No paint above the waterline except for non skid on the decks. All hardware and hatches welded to the decks or blind tapped into doublers. Wave breaks welded around the front and sides of the deck hatches which would be numerous. Suitable insulation sprayed inside the hull for noise and temperature control.

Layout, starting at the bow with storage for anchoring gear, sails, docklines and fenders etc to a watertight bulkhead about 10 feet aft of the stem, accessible from on deck only through a hatch. Anchor roller exrended forward of the stem an appropriate amount and 55 kg Rocna and all chain rode. Aft of this bulkhead a double stateroom, probably with a head and separate shower right forward, hanging lockers and seat opposite. Bulkhead aft of this stateroom. Main saloon, with a large U shaped settee with table to port, straight settee to starboard.
Galley aft on the port side with Propane stove aft and not gimbaled, fridge and freezer on the centre under the pilothouse. Chart table opposite to starboard with swivel seat fixed to the sole. Aft of the chart table a stateroom with upper and lower berths, the upper folding down out of the way when not required. The machinery space aft under the cockpit with a workshop to port and separated from the accomodation by a watertight bulkhead.

Two different rigs I might choose. one, a sloop with multiple furlers for jibs, extendable bowsprit for asymetrical. Spreaders swept 20 degreea aft, no backstay, and a maxi roach fully battened main.

The other I might choose would be a unstayed ketch (schooner if the masts are the same height) rig with carbon fiber rotating spars. I find this concept interesting and Eric Sponberg makes a good case for it. Project Amazon was easy to handle and very fast.

Mechanically, diesel with a V-drive due to aft engine room. About 1000AH of AGM batteries over the keel. Electrodyne alternator for fast charging with 3 stage regulator. Electrodyne now have alternators with diodes remotely mounted for better cooling and 200 to 250 amp would be about right. Solar panels for every day charging, mounted aft. WH autopilot which is built like a tank and no self steering vane.

Design by either Angelo Lavranos or Robert Perry. If I chose the unstayed rig its design and engineering by Eric Sponberg.

All I need is a lottery win.

ps - If you can't figure it out I am a Steve Dashew fan and the above is really an aluminum Sundeer. If you're going to dream you might as well make it a good one.
Old 02-07-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
well i would love a 35 foot version of my hunter 27 with a newer hull shape and sail plan for speed.

or a 35 CC with a good hull shape and sail plan, with a nice aft cabin

or a gemini cat built with all lines run to the cockpit, but built a little more solid ( i know weight issues )

or one of the trimarans we talked about a few weeks ago, in the mid 30's range, with all lines lead to the cockpit

another words i want a faster boat, with nice space, that can be single handed. i do like cats but i like heeling, thats where a tri comes in. but most tris are smaller inside than i want.

oh and its paid off. heck at this point i would be real happy with a beni in the 35 foot range, but that could handle a Bahama trip with ease
Old 02-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't go with aluminum for a hull material, due to the fact that even a month in a marina with a bad electrical system could cost you the hull..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-07-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I wouldn't go with aluminum for a hull material, due to the fact that even a month in a marina with a bad electrical system could cost you the hull..
By bad, do you mean toxic or venomous?
Old 02-07-2010

capttb is on a distinguished road
I don't know what my perfect boat would be, but the one I've lusted after for several years is now for sale. I've seen it, touched it, seen it under sail, under full sail it is so pretty it makes your eyes water.
Anyone want to go in 50/50?
2001 Valiant Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Neither... leaky might be a good description of it though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsaquatics View Post
By bad, do you mean toxic or venomous?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-07-2010

That Valiant looks good, but the upholstery would have to be changed to suit me.

sailingdog
The stray currents can be monitored but I wouldn't be in too many marinas with the boat I described.
Old 02-07-2010
Telstar 28

Yeah, but all it'd have to take is one stay in a bad marina... your boat would become the anode for the whole stinking place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
That Valiant looks good, but the upholstery would have to be changed to suit me.

sailingdog
The stray currents can be monitored but I wouldn't be in too many marinas with the boat I described.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-07-2010

On the B.C. coast many workboats are aluminum and I don't see many dissolving. They have a very long low maintenance lifespan. With proper monitoring you always know the galvanic issues as they occur.